Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

Does that mean we can sing "Chrissy Powell Chrissy Powell Chrissy Powell" on Saturday?

It will happen.
  • Options

On another note Luzon really mustn't rate Lepoint. Why play Wilson in the middle when you have a central midfielder available?

Cousins, when played centrally, is a defensive midfielder, whereas LePoint is an attacking midfielder. It wouldn't have been a like-for-like replacement and could've left us quite exposed in midfield in a 4-4-2 formation.

He gave Wilson a chance and he didn't take it (again!)....Alou did by the sounds of it.

Right, but Buyens can play that role.
  • Options
    Outplayed and outclassed. No surprises really with the result. Derby could have stepped it up if they needed to.

Central midfield was a joke. Buyens may as well return to Belgium now. Wilson, I'm not even going to waste my time commenting on. Diarra did well when he came on, when fully fit I think he will be a definite starter.

My first time in attending a game with Luzon as manager. I know it was a defeat, but it was a vast improvement on the last few games that I went to...... well, it's made me want to go to Cardiff for my next game anyway.
  • Options
    Do we have a situation where Solly is being run into the ground but Cousins is being nurtured?
  • Options
    Solly probably has a say I would have thought Seth. With one of these long term injury managing situations I suspect the player will be given the responsibility (or at least partial) of withdrawing himself from selection
  • Options
    Yes I suppose Solly is not pressured to play and risk his future, it however represents a change in 'Solly policy'.
  • Options
    Expected to lose really Derby play some good football off the ball movement very good.we tried to hold our shape and defend at start like at Wigan.but Derbys movment was best I've seen this season first 30mins. We didn't follow runners through our back line and they had at least 5 chances to score.only happened once second half so we picked up on it hopefully it was Luzon who picked it up and he is a better coach than we think. Showed first half how we need a hold up forward first half when we were under cosh. Every clearance just come back even goal kicks. We hardly won a header.what I thought was good was the amount of chances we had when we weren't really in the game. I think there goalie made more saves than ours.still move on hopefully we can beat huddersfield and not lose like we seem to always do when we do football for a fiver
  • Options
    How did Benty look for them? Was he fat and unfit as Lambert said? Classy player and I'm glad he clapped our fans last night.

Not a great result, but deep down did we expect anything from this game?? With the addition of Ince and Bent they've looked blinding recently. Very good team and I fully expect them to finish in the Automatics.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't expect a result, but as so many have said we need to bolster the centre of midfield. Hopefully he will play Cousins and Diarra Saturday.

To be honest Wilson has been poor this season, shame because I like him as a bloke but something missing/wrong this season.
  • Options
    Perhaps the Solly rotation was only for the early part of the season to give him a rest and gradually build up his fitness.
  • Options

Didn't expect a result, but as so many have said we need to bolster the centre of midfield. Hopefully he will play Cousins and Diarra Saturday.

To be honest Wilson has been poor this season, shame because I like him as a bloke but something missing/wrong this season.

Shame about Wilson, but you have to grab opportunities when presented with them, and this season he simply hasn't. Compare with (for example) Andy Hughes when he came back in from his injury
  • Options
    It's funny how some players can go downhill so quickly. Bradley Pritchard for example looked like a Championship quality player in our first season, but went completely out of favour in the second. Wilson was really good last season, but has had a mare this season and clearly won't get a new contract
  • Options

Shame about Wilson, but you have to grab opportunities when presented with them, and this season he simply hasn't. Compare with (for example) Andy Hughes when he came back in from his injury
    But Wilson isn't a central midfielder. If he was going to 'grab' any opportunity last night then Luzon should have played him right mid, played one up front and put JBG in behind a centre forward.
  • Options

But Wilson isn't a central midfielder. If he was going to 'grab' any opportunity last night then Luzon should have played him right mid, played one up front and put JBG in behind a centre forward.
    Spot on. Wilson is out of his depth in centre mid.
  • Options

He's not been good playing right midfield this season either
  • Options

It's funny how some players can go downhill so quickly. Bradley Pritchard for example looked like a Championship quality player in our first season, but went completely out of favour in the second. Wilson was really good last season, but has had a mare this season and clearly won't get a new contract

Thing is as well the quality of player at Charlton last season wasnt as good and in a struggling team it helped Wilson to excel more.

Now we've brought quality in (Igor / Gudmundsson / Bulot etc...) it makes him look worse because he's not at their level
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wilson (who I like just to be clear) is obviously a confidence player. I remember not long after we signed him we were chasing the game against Palace and he got the ball roaring down the right with Yann and BWP screaming into the box. He chose to shoot on the run from 30 yards and nearly got it into the North Upper. He got absolutely slaughtered by the fans and by Yann and had his head up his arse for the next three games hiding from the ball. He recovered thankfully but this season after the Colchester pre season game he has been back to shit sniffing duty. He's been badly treated by successive managers but there is obviously a root problem. I feel for him.
  • Options
    BP treated him (Wilson) like shit and has knocked his confidence but he's still gotta man up and pull himself out of this rut , which I'm sure he will do elsewhere next season
  • Options
    Wilson in midfield baffled me from minute 1.
    Fox is getting worse each time I see him.
    Diarra looked good when he came on.
    Buyens needs a few games out the side, although it's probably not possible right now.
    Frustrating night for Watt but attacking wise we showed glimpses.
  • Options

West2003 said:

In the station waiting for the train, hands are frozen.

One word: outclassed.

We're only playing for pride now and seeing the season out.
    For the record, I didn't mean "outclassed" as a bad thing - we certainly weren't as comically bad as the Watford away game for example. It was just clear about 5 minutes into the game that Derby were a far, far better side than us - they passed and moved so well, they closed us down incredibly quickly, and I think could've scored more but they decided to take their foot off the gas. No disgrace in losing to them, that's a side that's been years in the making with some excellent loan additions, and if they don't go up I would be incredibly surprised.

I'm one of the few who didn't think our home performance against them was brilliant, just that we attacked effectively. In comparison, they barely gave us a sniff last night. Bar a brief spell in the first half and occasional glimpses in the second half that was about it.
  • Options

He's not been good playing right midfield this season either
    No he hasn't, but you can't expect footballers to play 20 minutes every fifth game and just turn it on.
  • Options

Good to see Buyens made sure he didn't get a yellow by just jogging along side the fella who got the assist for Derbys 2nd

and Solly maybe should have done better for the 2nd goal at least

Shocking player Buyens. Incredibly lazy and clearly doesn't want to be here. Send him back.

On another note Luzon really mustn't rate Lepoint. Why play Wilson in the middle when you have a central midfielder available?
    Back home around 30mins ago - journey not helped by M25 being shut at Jct 27 so forced to go down M11 & Blackwall Tunnel.

Quickly scanned the posts on here & agree with RR.

Midfield was seriously lightweight with Buyens & Lawrie, acknowledging the latter was playing in an unfamiliar position. Buyens gives us so little & continued to make the safe, short pass or gave the ball away cheaply. As for tackling.....don't go there.

It badly needed changing at halftime and GL did what the doctor ordered...Diarra looked decent and for the first time in the match, won some headers for us. Look forward to see him start on Saturday & wish we had a suitable replacement for Mr Lazy.

Worried that we might concede a hatful after they scored their second with such ease( knife through butter describes their play directly through our "middle") but we came out after half time and started putting in some serious tackles which surprised them a bit. Unfortunately, we didn't make enough chances to deserve to score & the gulf between last Friday's opponents & tonight's was akin to the Grand Canyon.

Certainly not disgraced but little for the faithful to cheer about tonight. C'est la vie & we move on.

I was told that young Jordan suffered a back injury against Wigan & could be out for 3-4 games but this doesn't seem to be common knowledge so possibly my info is flawed. Rumour also has it that The Point is not thought to be The One for our midfield , hence although on the bench, was not even considered as a replacement for Lawrie. Maybe he wasn't our manager's choice ?

Looking forward to the Huddersfield game with the inclusion of Diarra in the starting line up. It would also be great if Gomez could play his part sooner than later and show GL what he's capable of. Will be a tough game so the 24,000 or so home fans need to make some serious noise & get behind the lads from the first to last whistle. We seriously need to win this one.

Keep the faith.

What coffee do you drink to manage this calibre of post at 2AM FF? And can I have some ..? :blush:

Good post and totally agree about the lightweight midfield, JC I heard 2-3 weeks but that was a whisper from a whisper. Really hope Chinese whispers came into play and it's only a week or max 2, we miss him.
  • Options
    According to Ketts, do not expect to see Cousins on Saturday, as he will not have fully recovered
  • Options

That would seem logical but we played that formation at Watford and got bashed. He probably didn't want to move JBG from the right, where he has been playing well.
  • Options
    Would we have as much sympathy for Wilson if he were a network signing?