Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby v Charlton - Post Match Views

1235»

Comments

• Options
    One other point, Solly is one of our own, the fans love him etc. etc. .. BUT .. Johnson should be the captain .. both times I've seen him he's been vocal, he's a focal point of the defence and he organises well .. also, the other players seem to respond well to his vociferous promptings .. Johnson has made a huge difference to our attitude and organisation.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

No Cousins, no Jackson and Diarra still not at 100% effectiveness left Guy with a pretty big hole to fill in the midfield frankly. Wilson has played there before (albeit not for us) so can see why he'd consider the thought, Buyens is a CM by trade and in fact the last one left able to play so really Luzon's hands were tied there short of having two players out of position in the middle of the pitch - not ideal against Derby of all teams.

It turns out it didn't really work but no manager could have done much with the hand he'd been dealt. It sounds like Diarra made a strong case for a start on Saturday and of the two I'd rather do the experimenting with Wilson in CM in a game we'd probably write off rather than one we still have a strong chance to win.

We have been missing an attacking midfield player since Stephens left, that and a lack of a hold up forward since Kermorgant left, have meant that we have spent most games, even the ones we have won, watching the other team pass the ball around.

This is so blinding obvious to most fans that it seems perverse that it has still not been fixed.
  • Options

One other point, Solly is one of our own, the fans love him etc. etc. .. BUT .. Johnson should be the captain .. both times I've seen him he's been vocal, he's a focal point of the defence and he organises well .. also, the other players seem to respond well to his vociferous promptings .. Johnson has made a huge difference to our attitude and organisation.

Think we need to give him a real long term contract before making him back up captain to Jackson.

No sense disrupting the team considering RD may have no plans to employ Johnson past the end of the season.
  • Options

Think we need to give him a real long term contract before making him back up captain to Jackson.

No sense disrupting the team considering RD may have no plans to employ Johnson past the end of the season.
    Johnson should definitely (funds allowing) be offered a new contract asap, he's made a hell of a difference in the short time he's been with us. Jackson's future as an automatic choice is doubtful, sad to say, his age and lack of pace have caught up with a man who's served CAFC well. I'd like to see him given a role on the coaching staff. Although there is not a lot of age difference, right now, Johnson is the future, alas, Jackson is the past.
  • Options

I disagree. Just because a player is vocal it doesn't mean he should be made captain. Some players, like Johnson, will be vocal regardless of whether or not he has the captaincy, which is great. If the players respond well to his promptings then great; he evidently doesn't need the official title to get their respect. There are other players who need to be given the responsibility of captain in order to bring more leadership qualities out of them, which I think has happened with Rooney to a certain extent as I've been much more impressed with his conduct since he was given the armband. I think Solly is a good personification of what Charlton should be; hard working, not widely lauded by people outside of Charlton but gives everything for the team. Rarely turns in a poor performance and never turns in one lacking in effort. Johnson can and will continue to organise the defence and Solly can continue to be the player chosen to represent us.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Johnson should definitely (funds allowing) be offered a new contract asap, he's made a hell of a difference in the short time he's been with us. Jackson's future as an automatic choice is doubtful, sad to say, his age and lack of pace have caught up with a man who's served CAFC well. I'd like to see him given a role on the coaching staff. Although there is not a lot of age difference, right now, Johnson is the future, alas, Jackson is the past.
    Agreed, it does sound like all logic would be that we offer him an extra season or two on his contract but im still wary of how much long term building is being used at our club currently when it comes to players, so would not be surprised to see Johnson and Ben Haim both shown the door this summer.(hopfully wrong though)