Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:

According to Ketts, do not expect to see Cousins on Saturday, as he will not have fully recovered

That will not be too big a problem if Diarra can manage 90 minutes.
  • Options

Good to see Buyens made sure he didn't get a yellow by just jogging along side the fella who got the assist for Derbys 2nd

and Solly maybe should have done better for the 2nd goal at least

Shocking player Buyens. Incredibly lazy and clearly doesn't want to be here. Send him back.

On another note Luzon really mustn't rate Lepoint. Why play Wilson in the middle when you have a central midfielder available?
    Back home around 30mins ago - journey not helped by M25 being shut at Jct 27 so forced to go down M11 & Blackwall Tunnel.

Quickly scanned the posts on here & agree with RR.

Midfield was seriously lightweight with Buyens & Lawrie, acknowledging the latter was playing in an unfamiliar position. Buyens gives us so little & continued to make the safe, short pass or gave the ball away cheaply. As for tackling.....don't go there.

It badly needed changing at halftime and GL did what the doctor ordered...Diarra looked decent and for the first time in the match, won some headers for us. Look forward to see him start on Saturday & wish we had a suitable replacement for Mr Lazy.

Worried that we might concede a hatful after they scored their second with such ease( knife through butter describes their play directly through our "middle") but we came out after half time and started putting in some serious tackles which surprised them a bit. Unfortunately, we didn't make enough chances to deserve to score & the gulf between last Friday's opponents & tonight's was akin to the Grand Canyon.

Certainly not disgraced but little for the faithful to cheer about tonight. C'est la vie & we move on.

I was told that young Jordan suffered a back injury against Wigan & could be out for 3-4 games but this doesn't seem to be common knowledge so possibly my info is flawed. Rumour also has it that The Point is not thought to be The One for our midfield , hence although on the bench, was not even considered as a replacement for Lawrie. Maybe he wasn't our manager's choice ?

Looking forward to the Huddersfield game with the inclusion of Diarra in the starting line up. It would also be great if Gomez could play his part sooner than later and show GL what he's capable of. Will be a tough game so the 24,000 or so home fans need to make some serious noise & get behind the lads from the first to last whistle. We seriously need to win this one.

Keep the faith.

What coffee do you drink to manage this calibre of post at 2AM FF? And can I have some ..? :blush:

Good post and totally agree about the lightweight midfield, JC I heard 2-3 weeks but that was a whisper from a whisper. Really hope Chinese whispers came into play and it's only a week or max 2, we miss him.
    Lol, AA . Not coffee but a mug of hot, sweet tea....bit like me in fact :wink:

• Options

I realize the very anti Duchatelet camp will want us to blow it in front of a near sell out against Huddersfield ? (please explain if i'm wrong)

You are wrong - no explanation necessary !
  • Options

I realize the very anti Duchatelet camp will want us to blow it in front of a near sell out against Huddersfield ? (please explain if i'm wrong)

I don't think there are too many fans, who will want us to blow it.
  • Options

Good to see Buyens made sure he didn't get a yellow by just jogging along side the fella who got the assist for Derbys 2nd

Shocking player Buyens. Incredibly lazy and clearly doesn't want to be here. Send him back.

On another note Luzon really mustn't rate Lepoint. Why play Wilson in the middle when you have a central midfielder available?
    Back home around 30mins ago - journey not helped by M25 being shut at Jct 27 so forced to go down M11 & Blackwall Tunnel.

Midfield was seriously lightweight with Buyens & Lawrie, acknowledging the latter was playing in an unfamiliar position. Buyens gives us so little & continued to make the safe, short pass or gave the ball away cheaply. As for tackling.....don't go there.

It badly needed changing at halftime and GL did what the doctor ordered...Diarra looked decent and for the first time in the match, won some headers for us. Look forward to see him start on Saturday & wish we had a suitable replacement for Mr Lazy.

Worried that we might concede a hatful after they scored their second with such ease( knife through butter describes their play directly through our "middle") but we came out after half time and started putting in some serious tackles which surprised them a bit. Unfortunately, we didn't make enough chances to deserve to score & the gulf between last Friday's opponents & tonight's was akin to the Grand Canyon.

Certainly not disgraced but little for the faithful to cheer about tonight. C'est la vie & we move on.

I was told that young Jordan suffered a back injury against Wigan & could be out for 3-4 games but this doesn't seem to be common knowledge so possibly my info is flawed. Rumour also has it that The Point is not thought to be The One for our midfield , hence although on the bench, was not even considered as a replacement for Lawrie. Maybe he wasn't our manager's choice ?

Looking forward to the Huddersfield game with the inclusion of Diarra in the starting line up. It would also be great if Gomez could play his part sooner than later and show GL what he's capable of. Will be a tough game so the 24,000 or so home fans need to make some serious noise & get behind the lads from the first to last whistle. We seriously need to win this one.

Keep the faith.

What coffee do you drink to manage this calibre of post at 2AM FF? And can I have some ..? :blush:

Good post and totally agree about the lightweight midfield, JC I heard 2-3 weeks but that was a whisper from a whisper. Really hope Chinese whispers came into play and it's only a week or max 2, we miss him.
    Zheng Zhi is returning?
  • Options

Keep the faith.

Zheng Zhi is returning?
    Great !

As long as he brings Jessie with him !

• Options
    I went last night, When I see Wilson was in the starting line up I thought he was going to be Right Mid. He had a shocker but I don't blame him. Conversation, Luzon "Lawrie, Jordan is out tonight, so I'm going to play you centre mid" Wilson "Gaffer, I've never played there before"? Luzon, "You haven't? you'll be fine see the square peg boots you wear, put them on and you'll be mustard"

Last night was a 4-5-1 with Diarra starting and playing about an hour then see what happens. We gave them too much respect for the first half hour. Thorne and Hughes did what they wanted. BUT I wasn't expecting too much it was a "bonus" game really as our run in isn't too bad.
  • Options
    George Thorne was a class act in central midfield for them, so much so, I looked him up on Wiki. Another that got away. He was born in Chatham, but was at the Cambridge Academy until it folded due to lack of money. Moved on to WBA and eventually moved to Derby. Just the sort of creative midfield player we have been searching for.
  • Options

George Thorne was a class act in central midfield for them, so much so, I looked him up on Wiki. Another that got away. He was born in Chatham, but was at the Cambridge Academy until it folded due to lack of money. Moved on to WBA and eventually moved to Derby. Just the sort of creative midfield player we have been searching for.

Wasn't he at Arsenal for a bit?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was surprised Solly played. I had my suspicions that GL would throw the towel in last night and rest key players for the next 2 games. In my book, he should have played Wilson at RB and started with Eagles or Diarra (sic) . In fact, starting with them both and leaving Buyens out would be ideal for me. I don't like slagging players, but Buyens is someone we really could do without. Lazy, slow and ineffective getting constantly booked for mistimed tackles.
  • Options

Wilson, I'm not even going to waste my time commenting on.

oops you just did...

• Options
    dickplumb said:

Would we have as much sympathy for Wilson if he were a network signing?

if he had been shite, became alright then went shite again... maybe yes.
  • Options
    Diarra has only just arrived and has barely played for the last 2 years, so starting him was probably considered too much of a gamble.
  • Options

Wasn't he at Arsenal for a bit?
    No , that was Ben Kensell.

:smile:

Brilliant.
  • Options

Obviously not nice to lose but there are plenty of positives to take. Diarra and Eagles both looked good. I think 2-0 flattered the league leaders. Had we not rolled over so easily after conceding the first i think we could've got something.

Still, we looked like a midtable team. There is no way we are going to be relegated. Confident for Saturday COYR

2-0 flattered them! Seriously? They didn't need to get out of 1st gear in the second half
    I second this, it was embarrassing to watch us getting torn apart in the first half. Had Derby taken their neatly worked chances, we could have been 4 or 5 down before the break. We didn't look like scoring in the second and this was obvious when Mclaren took off his star players. Their player Hughes was immense and thankfully he was subbed in the second half. The Derby support was great and fair play to them given they are worthy league leaders.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Wilson, I'm not even going to waste my time commenting on.

oops you just did...

Ok.
  • Options

Keep the faith.

Lol, AA . Not coffee but a mug of hot, sweet tea....bit like me in fact :wink:

Don't be so harsh of yourself, you're not a mug! :- )

• Options
    chappers said:

I went last night, When I see Wilson was in the starting line up I thought he was going to be Right Mid. He had a shocker but I don't blame him. Conversation, Luzon "Lawrie, Jordan is out tonight, so I'm going to play you centre mid" Wilson "Gaffer, I've never played there before"? Luzon, "You haven't? you'll be fine see the square peg boots you wear, put them on and you'll be mustard"

Wilson played at CM regularly before we bought him. It was silly to expect us to win that midfield battle with Yoni and Lawrie but this square peg round hole nonsense is just that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hex said:

One or two guys at woolwich and i have heard a few people say in Barts and other drinking houses at away grounds, that they would prefer us to be in a lower Division if it meant Roland and his network left, even league 2.
    At least one member on another Thread has said the same.

Other than losing matches or going into Admin, do we end up in League 1 or 2 ?

As it's only maybe 2% of our fanbase so i agree with Covered end, very few of our fans want us to lose.

So Hex you don't want to tell me fine, but what is the correlation between winning
    Football matches and accepting you would be better off in League 2.

hence why i feel there must be a few fans turning up at our matches wanting us to lose.

I'm not Pro or Anti, just concerned like the Majority what is the masterplan of Duchelet. "It's good to talk Roland".

• Options
    No Cousins, no Jackson and Diarra still not at 100% effectiveness left Guy with a pretty big hole to fill in the midfield frankly. Wilson has played there before (albeit not for us) so can see why he'd consider the thought, Buyens is a CM by trade and in fact the last one left able to play so really Luzon's hands were tied there short of having two players out of position in the middle of the pitch - not ideal against Derby of all teams.

It turns out it didn't really work but no manager could have done much with the hand he'd been dealt. It sounds like Diarra made a strong case for a start on Saturday and of the two I'd rather do the experimenting with Wilson in CM in a game we'd probably write off rather than one we still have a strong chance to win.
  • Options

Hex said:

One or two guys at woolwich and i have heard a few people say in Barts and other drinking houses at away grounds, that they would prefer us to be in a lower Division if it meant Roland and his network left, even league 2.
    At least one member on another Thread has said the same.

Other than losing matches or going into Admin, do we end up in League 1 or 2 ?

As it's only maybe 2% of our fanbase so i agree with Covered end, very few of our fans want us to lose.

So Hex you don't want to tell me fine, but what is the correlation between winning
    Football matches and accepting you would be better off in League 2.

hence why i feel there must be a few fans turning up at our matches wanting us to lose.

I'm not Pro or Anti, just concerned like the Majority what is the masterplan of Duchelet. "It's good to talk Roland".

Since my Dad was one of those at the meeting who mentioned prefering to be in League 2 without Roland rather then with him and in the Premier League, i can assure you he wants us to win every game(as im sure the other people who share his feelings do), what i know he meant(and i agree with it) is that he would get more enjoyment from watching Charlton in a lower tier but still having that strong fan connection with the club then become just the UK branch of the network, identical to Liege/Ujpest/Alcorcon in years to come other then our badge plastered over it.

That is different from wishing us to lose.
  • Options
    just looked at the spanners fixtures list they have 13 games left and have to play 6 teams in top 8
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Just like on Friday, we were put under serious pressure from the kick off, difference was that a superior side scored twice before we settled .. we MUST get off the mark quicker, having said that, give the nucleus of the side that played last night a few games to 'gel' before I/we start to moan too loudly.
    Derby did us in an area where we simply cannot compete, fast attacks from midfield, flooding our area and quick accurate passing and off the ball running did for us .. both their goals coming from midfielders. After that our defence and midfield coped well with a very talented opposition .. loaness Bent, Ince, Lingard, premier class players all and Hughes was outstanding if not upstanding, the blonde bombshell dives far too often, he needs a good kicking to put him right ((:>) (only jesting)

Grant made two very good saves during the game from a super G'sson free kick and from a Solly break into their area .. we were not disgraced but as against Middlesbrough, we were somewhat outclassed by an expensively assembled and talented side with a big noisy crowd behind them.

In a Radio 5live interview last night Manager McClaren stated that after Rams went 2-0 up 'Charlton closed up shop and drew all men back' .. rubbish .. after being caught cold twice we looked quite organised and if anything, Derby took their collective foot off the gas.

To conclude .. outdone by a better team but we are showing signs of consolidation and progress .. the terrible weakness at left back and the lack of craft and guile in midfield are the next things that need addressing. I enjoyed the game despite the defeat

• Options
    Thanks for that GretnaGreen, I just have a very literal way of looking at things.
    it's sounds like a paradox of being in League 2 yet still turning up to matches and wanting your team to win.

I do understand the sentiments that you and your dad have said and that would be the feeling of us all, let's hope that comes about without having to go down the Leagues.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Very disappointing to lose some of the momentum that we had bult up, but we were playing very good opposition.

I can only base my comments from the twitter commentary, however; 20 minutes in I feared for the worst and was fully expected a tonking. On the contrary, it sounded like we rallied together and managed to gain a little more strength. It sounds like a poor start really knocked us out of the game.

Perhaps we missed Cousins in the centre, and this weakened our midfield a bit too much. In hindsight maybe a more cautionary formation (4-5-1?) would've been wise, with the aim of keeping the ball and being difficult to breakdown. Without one of our regular midfielders though, making the numbers for 5 would've been difficult!

In conclusion, 2-0 against top of the table opposition after some of the results we've had recently isn't the end of the world, it's disappointing, but semi expected. We can draw a few positives that we didn't crumble as we have before, and that we still summoned up the strength to attack back. On to Saturday when we can go again.

You can't play 2v3 in Central midfield against Derby. With their full backs pushing on, they often have a 3-6-1 formation in attacking play and overload the full back areas very well. you have to play 5 across midfield to have a chance. but then again, we have a new coach - so he probably wouldn't be aware of that.

still he's not the first coach to go in with the attitude of "we are going to impose our 4-4-2 on them" and come unstuck. Pellegrini tried it last night against Barcelona of all teams. LOL.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Obviously not nice to lose but there are plenty of positives to take. Diarra and Eagles both looked good. I think 2-0 flattered the league leaders. Had we not rolled over so easily after conceding the first i think we could've got something.

Still, we looked like a midtable team. There is no way we are going to be relegated. Confident for Saturday COYR

2-0 flattered them! Seriously? They didn't need to get out of 1st gear in the second half
    Were you there cos jake was?!
    I only make post match comments IF I attend a match! So yes, I was there and very pleased that Jake was also!! As always, it's a game of opinion, we just happen to differ slightly. They were a class above Charlton, that's what I saw! (Coz I was there!). ;-)
  • Options
    Considering the opposition we got a respectable result .
  • Options

Luzon about Cousins "He felt a little bit in his muscles and needed a little bit of a rest, but he will be available until the end of the season.”

and then he's off to Liege.