Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deaths of horses at Cheltenham race course

Comments

• Options
    It is possible to eat meat and have massive respect for the animal.

Not that this thread is about that
  • Options
    I tried to keep order, but it was mainly MOG and AUN shit stirring. Not sure what you want to do, i think give em a second chance....
  • Options
    Not going to bite, just to say......
    Very disappointed that I got my first flag ever on this thread.

And, no, I don't want any more please.
  • Options

Indeed, AFKA. Seven? Animal Aid hasn't updated that yet.
    Enough side-tracking. Following all these deaths at the Cheltenham Festival what, I wonder, is The Jockey Club and The British Horseracing Authority going to do about it? And who in the mainstream media is asking the question of them?

What exactly would satisfy you with regard to horse racing, national hunt and flat?
  • Options

Addickted said:

Where has Anna_Kissed mentioned veganism?

Page seven. Do, keep up AUN.

He's been all tofu, beans and quorn since 1998.

What a hero.
    Quorn in the UK contains egg albumen, so no to that. I gather that, due to demand, they're hoping to introduce an egg-free variety here soon. Quinoa's good, though.
    There's nothing heroic about being a vegan. It's one diet among many.
    My wife makes a lovely quinoa risotto with asparagus, leek & peas. Not quite a vegan meal as we also have chicken in it but would still be nice without it.
  • Options
    If you ever wondered what happened to the real War Horse from the movie.
    He was killed and eaten in the UK because the folk were starving and despite his heroics - couldn't justify feeding him when humans were starving.

Just like we breed livestock to eat, we breed horses to race.
    No meat-eaters = no cows/sheep/pigs
    No racing = no racehorses

These animals would only exist in the wild in small numbers.
  • Options

He was killed and eaten in the UK because the folk were starving and despite his heroics - couldn't justify feeding him when humans were starving.

Is that a good bad or indifferent thing?

For me if there were fewer cows there would be less deforestation, cleaner air, less food grown specifically for animals, less antibiotic use (bacteria resistant to the last ditch antibiotic now exist thanks to its use in intensive pig farms in China. Thank for that) so if we all ate less meat... Or no meat... Fewer farm animals, better all round.

Sorry, bit of a diversion that
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

An argument that will never have a conclusion I'm afraid.

I love horse racing, I love horses. And I also declare a vested interest as indirectly horse racing has provided me with the opportunity to care for and provide for my family.

I would therefore not support the banning of horse racing. I would however support the banning of the use of the whip (at all), the enforced watering of national hunt courses to enable going never to be firmer than good to firm or good on the landing side of fences. I've also supported the reduction in shape and size of the Grand National fences and the elimination of drops on the landing side of fences. Too many horses are bred for racing which is also something I would support limiting. The racing industry (owners, trainers, jockeys, bookmakers, broadcasters etc..) should be responsible for funding the care of retired racehorses (and does to a very large degree).

The above is also pretty much the stated policy of the RSPCA but clearly does not go far enough for some. But it goes far enough for me. Others will disagree which is their right.

Best post on this thread in my opinion
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Is that a good bad or indifferent thing?

For me if there were fewer cows there would be less deforestation, cleaner air, less food grown specifically for animals, less antibiotic use (bacteria resistant to the last ditch antibiotic now exist thanks to its use in intensive pig farms in China. Thank for that) so if we all ate less meat... Or no meat... Fewer farm animals, better all round.

Sorry, bit of a diversion that
    Nature will sort it.
    It is always trying.
    Natural death or......... (not going to say Murder in case it upsets).
  • Options
    Sorry AFKA, but Anna bought up the subject of vegetarianism and being a vegan, as if it made him better than us omnivores.

The deaths at Cheltenham this week are awful. No one wants to see this, least of all those heavily involved in the sport.

It's the holier that thou attitude that gets to me.
  • Options
    Not sure @Anna_Kissed has said that he is "holier that thou" at all.
    He, in my opinion, is saying something that some people on CL agree with,
    I like to think that people like myself, Anna, AUN, Seth, etc don't go on the horse racing threads (I honestly don't know, I don't read them) just to get a response.
    Maybe AFKA is right......

So, why not start a separate thread,

Horse Racing: Good or Bad: Discuss.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Sorry AFKA, but Anna bought up the subject of vegetarianism and being a vegan, as if it made him better than us omnivores.

The deaths at Cheltenham this week are awful. No one wants to see this, least of all those heavily involved in the sport.

It's the holier that thou attitude that gets to me.

He really didn't though. He was stating it as fact and at no point criticised others. I'm not vegan and saw nothing wrong with his comments
  • Options

Not sure @Anna_Kissed has said that he is "holier that thou" at all.
    He, in my opinion, is saying something that some people on CL agree with,
    I like to think that people like myself, Anna, AUN, Seth, etc don't go on the horse racing threads (I honestly don't know, I don't read them) just to get a response.
    Maybe AFKA is right......

So, why not start a separate thread,

Horse Racing: Good or Bad: Discuss.

Absolutely. The racing threads are of no interest to me. Primarily because I don't agree with horse racing (or greyhound etc etc) and also because I actually have no interest in getting suited and booted to spend a day probably losing money. So consequently I have never opened a racing thread let alone posted on one. Why would I? I have no interest in trolling or trying to piss people off for no reason.
  • Options
    Could you be so kind as to answer my question as to what would satisfy you with regard to horse racing, both national hunt and flat racing?
  • Options

And another.

Montdragon (FR)
    Gelding, aged 6
    Jockey: Jody McGarvey
    Experience: conditional
    Trainer: JJ ONeill
    Cause of death: Pulled Up - Fatally Injured
    Discipline: National Hunt Hurdle

horsedeathwatch.com/

Terribly sad. I would point out, however, that the injuries of 4 of the 7 horses that died at Cheltenham were incurred whilst running on the flat and not as a result of falls.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Although a distraction from the substantive issue.....
    Which was my point.

Crying shame the death of all those horses, no one wants to see that. But my missus has been a point to pointer all her life, loves her horses and has convinced me that these beautiful animals love every minute of it.

I'll leave this thread now

• Options

From Horsetalk.co.nz

The RSPCA's equine consultant, David Muir, who is at the Gloucestershire racecourse for the four-day festival to monitor horse welfare, said: “These deaths show the unacceptable face of horse racing. Any death on any racecourse simply cannot be justified.”

Animal Aid weighed in on the latest deaths, labelling the festival a bloody and unforgiving event, and said calling it a sporting event was a travesty.

You have previously pointed out that you were just reporting facts. These are not facts but just prejudiced comments. They will not be happy until horse racing is banned, since if "any death on any racecourse simply cannot be justified" then the only way for that to be rectified is for there to be no horse racing. Ludicrous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Set up a thread separate, people want to discuss/argue, please, do it there.
  • Options
    So what exactly is this thread for if it isn't to discuss the death of horses and the pros and cons of horse racing?
  • Options
    I think that this thread was set up in the hope that people could be sensible and discuss things, unfortunately, again, IMO, some people came on here just to wind people up.
    Just go back a few pages and read some quotes.
  • Options
    I totally agree that some quotes are out of order and maybe posted to wind up certain people. The questions that I ask, however, are genuine, as I'm interested to know exactly what people want to happen to racing for them to be satisfied. It is obvious that a complete ban will never happen and I worry that the concessions that have been given will only make matters worse and, therefore, increase the furore surrounding racing.
    If, for instance, we have dry weather in the next couple of weeks then the going at Aintree may be good. The race will then be run at a faster pace because the modified fences are not such a challenge as they once were. This increased pace will undoubtedly lead to more falls and the possibility of higher fatalities.
    Sometimes changes are not are not always for the best.
  • Options
    Brilliant point about the National Superclive