Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deaths of horses at Cheltenham race course

Comments

• Options
    It would be in bad taste for bookmakers to offer odds on the number of horse deaths at Cheltenham today.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

seth plum said:

I wonder if we know that horses love the National Hunt racing. Horses in general are susceptible to being spooked. of for other reasons too they can rear, or buck, or kick, or roll or bolt.
    In order to minimise this kind of stuff horses are what they call 'broken'. This kind of thing does not convince me they love it. And there are whips and bits and stuff used to, how shall I put it, 'enforce' that love.
    Does not seem clear cut to me that they love it.

Horses still do all of those things after they are 'broken'. That term merely relates to getting the horse to accept being ridden by a jockey, not the breaking of their will. An 8/9 stone jockey could not get a horse to do anything that it didn't want to do. That is why horses sometimes refuse to race or refuse to jump a fence.
    They are naturally herd animals and when they fall at a hurdle or fence they invariably get up and chase the others in the race and continue to jump - even the Grand National fences.
    Except when you jar a metal bar between it's gums attached to the jockey's hands so he can yank it about as he pleases as he thrashes his whip down upon it.

I AM NEITHER FOR OR AGAINST THE RACING OF NAGS
  • Options
    Reading this does make me laugh...

People don't enjoy Horse racing, fine.

People enjoy Horse racing, fine.

People coming on a thread about the negatives of Horse racing just for a barney, brilliant.... I have even been dragged in!
  • Options
    You may loathe it, but it has been asserted on here that the horses are doing something they love.
    I think what is meant, is that by having horse racing mankind is doing horses a favour.
    I notice that today's casualty is a 'gelding', i.e. castrated.

I wonder when they whisper to horses (the system used presumably to find out if they like it or not) do they ask the question 'What would you love to do today? Carry some heavy human around Cheltenham with metal in your mouth and a stick waving about, jumping fences and such like, or would you prefer to stay home and have a shag?'
  • Options
    Not going to bite........

Just to say {..}, okay, a little.

Still cannot understand why people quote on this thread for "fun".

My aching sides, so funny..........

Thank you Dan for what you said, unfortunately...........

Well, that's just it isn't it. Some people get their kicks off others suffering.

Sad.
  • Options
    Sad indeed, hate seeing animals needlessly die

• Options

PL54 said:

Surely it is the destruction of an injured animal here that is inhumane (presumably because they are no longer worth anything to their owner). Just because you've broken your leg, why should you be put down?

Horses do not make good patients. The only way to treat a broken leg is to completely immobilise them, which is more inhumane than putting them out of their misery. You have to remember that owners invest a lot of money in their horses and many don't insure them because of the excessive costs. They wouldn't choose to dispose of their investment if it could be avoided.
    In other words they are writing off their investment and taking the advice of a vet to take the action that is in the best interest of the horse.
    That's factually incorrect actually, the vast majority of race horses are insured.
  • Options
    People are entitled to voice there own thoughts,feelings and opinions its just shame that do so without knowing the true facts or just say things to just try and wind people up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jumps are rubbish to watch and kills horses.

Much rather watch flats racing any day
  • Options
    Bungalow and house racing isnt bad to watch either
  • Options
    Perhaps we should ban motor sports as people have been killed participating, or are humans insignificant?
  • Options
    Save the Clay Pigeon !
    Hundreds are shot every week.
  • Options
    sralan said:

Perhaps we should ban motor sports as people have been killed participating, or are humans insignificant?

No, but they do have a choice and won't be shot in the face if it gets a broken leg
  • Options

Today, at Cheltenham racecouse. The FIFTH death in three days.

Niceonefrankie
    Gelding, aged 10
    Jockey: Charlie Deutsch
    Cause of death: Fell - Dead
    Discipline: National Hunt Chase

horsedeathwatch.com/

How many people have been killed in the last 3 days by cars? Now tell me you don't drive?
  • Options
    shine166 said:

sralan said:

No, but they do have a choice and won't be shot in the face if it gets a broken leg
    You've obviously never been to a football match in North Korea
  • Options
    For the record Long Dog broke his leg while running along the flat part of the track (you failed to mention that bit) which any horse will do in the wild.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

For the record Long Dog broke his leg while running along the flat part of the track (you failed to mention that bit) which any horse will do in the wild.

Probably less likely than happening in a race surely? Also in the wild... Tough tits horsey. The fact is horses don't have the choice to be put into a race which increases their chances of dying. Drivers (whether for racing or to get from a to b) do.
  • Options
    Of course Anna kissed wouldn't mention it Smithyboy as it serves them no purpose just like more than six lovely horses have been killed out in fields anywhere other than a racecourse over the past four days
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Your final little rant about it being driven by money money money Anna kissed really lets you down and shows how much you truly don't know about the world of horse racing
  • Options
    I respect people's views Anna kissed and always apologise when I'm wrong but just rants with no proper knowledge of what they are going on about is different
  • Options
    It's very sad a horse has died I have nearly lost one of my own but luckily it was saved but has had to undergo another operation I found out last night.I still pay towards his up keep and care and make no money from him and never have.The real sad thing is that you Anna kissed believe it's all done for money which is absolute rubbish!