Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deaths of horses at Cheltenham race course

Comments

• Options
    I'd say it's a lot more than some Anna kissed,I'm around racehorses a lot and know how cared and loved they are
  • Options
    I'm now terrified to cycle on the roads and spent 30 years cycling so all praise to your work promoting RoadPeace
  • Options
    There are some very apt user names on this site.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Be careful of the furballs

iainment said:

Yes iainment wonderful world full of idiots nice of you to join them

I assume you're either someone who enjoys seeing animals killed for no reason or you have a gambling problem.
    And you shag cats. We can't all be perfect.
    I'm partial to a bit of pussy an all, if I'm brutally honest
    Careful of furballs, they're a bugger if they get stuck in your throat.
  • Options
    I'd like to try horse meat, has anyone had it before?

• Options
    edited March 2016

I'd like to try horse meat, has anyone had it before?

Most need to lube up I've heard but you'll be fine after that stint in Wormwood Scrubs mate.

;-)
  • Options
    If I counted right there were 115 horses running at Cheltenham today. So three dying is a little under 3%.
    If the comparison with Formula One Grand Prix racing is to be made in terms of risk to life, then by my rough calculation with 20 starters each Grand Prix it would be close to one driver death every two races...which doesn't happen.
    Jockeys fall and get injured as well as horse deaths at Cheltenham, however they know what they're getting into, like Grand Prix drivers.
    I really don't think it is worth comparing the risk to horses to the risks in other sports. Do other sports see close to 3% fatalities? I can't think of one, possibly the closest is Boxing.
    National Hunt racing ought to be looked at for what it is as a stand alone. Today nearly 3% of participants lost their lives.
  • Options

If you really believe what you are saying Anna kissed you really haven't a clue about a day at the races or anything to do with racehorses and how they are looked after and cared for.Your comments could stand for most things in life like cars for one instance causing deaths so should we ban them?

I am aware that some people care adequately for horses. I have pointed out that three horses have died today at the festival. Having been hit by a car and seriously injured as a result, I campaign for safer cycling and promote the work of RoadPeace.

So you're an anarchist, but you want national hunt racing banned and more rules for safer cycling

; )
  • Options
    Just a note on racing horses, Racing is all they know, as much as i hard for people to hear there aren't pets, They are purely bread to race (it's there job). They are treated better then most pets as they cost a lot to own/train etc

Unfortunately these deaths happen, and if they are put down it's done for the animals best interest, they are all athletes and are amazing to watch/hear a horse is full gallop
  • Options
    seth plum said:

If I counted right there were 115 horses running at Cheltenham today. So three dying is a little under 3%.
    If the comparison with Formula One Grand Prix racing is to be made in terms of risk to life, then by my rough calculation with 20 starters each Grand Prix it would be close to one driver death every two races...which doesn't happen.
    Jockeys fall and get injured as well as horse deaths at Cheltenham, however they know what they're getting into, like Grand Prix drivers.
    I really don't think it is worth comparing the risk to horses to the risks in other sports. Do other sports see close to 3% fatalities? I can't think of one, possibly the closest is Boxing.
    National Hunt racing ought to be looked at for what it is as a stand alone. Today nearly 3% of participants lost their lives.

Actually you'd need to look at 115 different race drivers.

In Indycar and Formula 1 in the past 5 years there has been 3 fatalities, Bianchi, Wheldon and Wilson, in the past 5 years in both disciplines I doubt there has been much more than 115 drivers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Serious question. Where would the 119 horses due to run today and indeed the horses entered at the other meetings, be, if not in the care of racehorse trainers ?
  • Options
    Gumbo said:

Just a note on racing horses, Racing is all they know, as much as i hard for people to hear there aren't pets, They are purely bread to race (it's there job). They are treated better then most pets as they cost a lot to own/train etc

Unfortunately these deaths happen, and if they are put down it's done for the animals best interest, they are all athletes and are amazing to watch/hear a horse is full gallop

Is this absolutely true? If they cost a lot to own and train is it in the interests of cutting costs that they are put down? I wouldn't want the animals to suffer, but with all the money sloshing around horse racing does it mean that horse medicine is so poorly advanced that there is no way to help these animals to survive, even if their racing days are over?
    Does much funding go into researching this area?
    I mean not long ago a footballers ACL going, would mean the end, but there have been significant advances with that injury.

• Options
    On a dinner plate somewhere Alan but that's fine because they didn't die on a racecourse!
  • Options

Serious question. Where would the 119 horses due to run today and indeed the horses entered at the other meetings, be, if not in the care of racehorse trainers ?

In @iainment 's cat's food
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    sam3110 said:

seth plum said:

Actually you'd need to look at 115 different race drivers.

In Indycar and Formula 1 in the past 5 years there has been 3 fatalities, Bianchi, Wheldon and Wilson, in the past 5 years in both disciplines I doubt there has been much more than 115 drivers
    I am comparing starts in Formula one races with starts in National Hunt races.
    I don't think you would need to find 115 drivers for the comparison to be valid. Anyway my point is that comparisons are not valid, the risk in each sport to the participants is of a different order.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Having a cultural day out at the ballet at Saddlers Wells?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Gumbo said:

Is this absolutely true? If they cost a lot to own and train is it in the interests of cutting costs that they are put down? I wouldn't want the animals to suffer, but with all the money sloshing around horse racing does it mean that horse medicine is so poorly advanced that there is no way to help these animals to survive, even if their racing days are over?
    Does much funding go into researching this area?
    I mean not long ago a footballers ACL going, would mean the end, but there have been significant advances with that injury.

No it's not about cutting costs. I part owned a horse which suffered a very serious injury last year. He didn't fall, the injury occurred in running and would have happened wherever he had been.
    The on course vet reacted quickly enough to save the horse by putting the leg in plaster but it was touch and go for a few days as to whether he would survive.
    He did survive and is now resident at an equine charity stables in Sussex.
    Myself and the other owners made and continue to make donations to that charity, so no it's not about cost.
  • Options

Canterbury?
  • Options
    Thing is horses love running, they thrive under the jockey when being pushed to there limit. Would be different if they they were forced into it and treated badly in training etc but there not. They love it . Just a sad thing that some are unlucky and these things happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Apologies for my rudeness AFKA.
    Thank you.

Apologist
  • Options

And another death on Day One

Pont Alexandre (GER)
    A gelding, aged 8
    Jockey: Mr P W Mullins
    Experience: Amateur
    Discipline: National Hunt Novice Chase
    Cause of death: Broke Hind Leg - Destroyed
    horsedeathwatch.com/index.php

I think that you'll find that more horses die running around fields or paddocks. Perhaps we should ban horses from running? They are fragile creatures and, when running, you've got the pressure of half a ton of animal on one leg at any given time.
    They are bred to race and they actually enjoy what they do. If it wasn't for racing they wouldn't exist.
  • Options
    I dont get the "they wouldn't otherwise be born argument". Neither would be veal calves... I doubt they are too happy about it
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Horses that wouldn't exist if the sport they are involved in didn't exist, and truly love the thrill of running in a pack, looked after in world class facilities being groomed, fed and generally looked after 100000 times better than the majority of people in the world, and we should ban it all because a minority of them die doing what they love?

Ban motor sports then

Ban any sport that someone has ever died in

Ban all things that breed animals for a specific purpose, like Zoos, Pony and Donkey rides, breeding for pets as well as the stuff like breeding for testing and circuses.

Ban animals being held in captivity for any reason

In fact, let's all go vegan

Makes you look so pale and deathly though mate!!!
  • Options
    Would you rather die at 40, having lived in a mansion your whole life, eating Michelin star food on a daily basis and getting noshed off by Cheryl Cole on request, or die at 99 with nothing to your name and living on the street your whole life? Same logic applies.
  • Options

Thanks @killerkish @smiffyboy @sam3110 @ValleyGary @CAFCsayer for proving that sometimes @PL54 isn't the only troll on here.
    I'm sure you've made him a happy chappie tonight.

Trolling a troll doesn't count... This thread was only made to get a nibble, we're just giving them what they're after.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Would you rather die at 40, having lived in a mansion your whole life, eating Michelin star food on a daily basis and getting noshed off by Cheryl Cole on request, or die at 99 with nothing to your name and living on the street your whole life? Same logic applies.

That is bullshit. Or perhaps horse shit.

Is the thinking that these animals are bread to be raced and death is an unfortunate side effect ?