Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• edited May 2015

cafcfan said:

What's with the "We decided to endorse Labour before we approached them for the interview". Has Brand gone all Royal on us now?
    Just to go back a few pages...

I would assume "we" covers him and his mate who work on his videos together.

Brand is just the face of them a tosser.
    Fixed that for ya didn't I
  • But work does set you free doesn't it? (from financial worries, the benefits system, your mortgage etc.). Just because the phrase has unfortunate connotations, it doesn't render it incorrect.

I'm fond of saying "let them eat cake" when we have friends over for tea but I feel no particular affinity to the old French monarchy.
  • But work does set you free doesn't it? (from financial worries, the benefits system, your mortgage etc.). Just because the phrase has unfortunate connotations, it doesn't render it incorrect.

I'm fond of saying "let them eat cake" when we have friends over for tea but I feel no particular affinity to the old French monarchy.

Perhaps you are technically right but if IDS did say that then he is without doubt an insensitive knob. Everybody knows the connotation between "work makes you free" and death camps.

• edited May 2015

But work does set you free doesn't it? (from financial worries, the benefits system, your mortgage etc.). Just because the phrase has unfortunate connotations, it doesn't render it incorrect.

Perhaps you are technically right but if IDS did say that then he is without doubt an insensitive knob. Everybody knows the connotation between "work makes you free" and death camps.

It is rather worrying how easily people get wound up about things that clearly are not true or are taken massively out of context, purely thanks to confirmation bias.
  • brogib said:

cafcfan said:

What's with the "We decided to endorse Labour before we approached them for the interview". Has Brand gone all Royal on us now?
    Just to go back a few pages...

I would assume "we" covers him and his mate who work on his videos together.

Brand is just the face of them a tosser.
    Fixed that for ya didn't I
    You forgot to strike out Brand and put Farage. ;-)
  • Fiiish said:

But work does set you free doesn't it? (from financial worries, the benefits system, your mortgage etc.). Just because the phrase has unfortunate connotations, it doesn't render it incorrect.

It is rather worrying how easily people get wound up about things that clearly are not true or are taken massively out of context, purely thanks to confirmation bias.
    How many times do you think you have done exactly that on this thread!
  • edited May 2015
    Fiiish said:

You'll notice I said IF IDS said this. My comment was based on the original assertion that he did. As neither you or I are sure. Your comment proves your point just as much as mine did.

• edited May 2015

Fiiish said:

How many times do you think you have done exactly that on this thread!
    Zero.

Well that was easy. Think you might be looking for the riddles thread.
  • Fiiish said:

I wasn't wound up when I posted it but thanks for your concern Fiiish.
  • I'm in a conservative area, but our local MP has been under a lot of scrutiny lately and campaigning is at a minimum from them, I am not sure if labour would have a chance though as UKIP have risen in popularity around here but I refuse to vote UKIP but I want Henderson out. I need to vote labour only other option. But also the lib dem candidate is a friend of mine as I go to church with him, he is a very nice, hardworking, respectable and honest man, but doesn't stand a chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2015

Fiiish said:

You'll notice I said IF IDS said this. My comment was based on the original assertion that he did. As neither you or I are sure. Your comment proves your point just as much as mine did.

Hmm. Ok then.

On an unrelated note, IF, and I mean, IF, Ed Miliband had, apparently, said, 'I love sleeping face down in the blood of Ukrainian war orphans', then he is an insensitive knob. I mean, neither you or I can be sure if he said it, but we're just saying IF, so it's OK.
  • holyjo said:

Fiiish said:

Chizz said:

In 1997, Labour took office, following Margaret Thatcher and John Major's terms which inflicted two massive recessions, in 1981 and 1990.

In May 2010, David Cameron "inherited" an economy that was growing at 1% per annum, with wages growing faster than inflation. George Osborne increased VAT to 20% and introduced the severe austerity programme.

1) You forgot the bit where Thatcher was having to clean up a country widely denounced as the 'sick man of Europe' and was so poor bins weren't emptied for months and undertakers weren't being paid so bodies were piling up in morgues for weeks on end. The first recession was caused by successful measures to stop runaway inflation, the second recession was caused by global factors. In 1997 the UK had gone from being the sick man of Europe to one of the world's strongest performing economies and Blair and Brown were so impressed with the Tories they even stuck to the Tories' own spending plans up until 2001.

2) To achieve growth of 1% per annum and to keep inflation down in the midst of a global economic catastrophe, Brown had to double the national debt over the course of a few years. Believe me, there is nothing impressive about massive increases in public spending to then boast about growth levels, considering one of the components of the growth function is the level of public spending.
    I hope even you would concede that in 1997 the Labour government inherited a nation with 19th century schools and hospitals.
    Considering I'm young enough to have been in schools and hospitals in the 1990s and old enough at the time to remember it, I cannot concede that '19th century' is an appropriate description of them.
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Hmm. Ok then.

On an unrelated note, IF, and I mean, IF, Ed Miliband had, apparently, said, 'I love sleeping face down in the blood of Ukrainian war orphans', then he is an insensitive knob. I mean, neither you or I can be sure if he said it, but we're just saying IF, so it's OK.
    Yeah ok then. Actually I think we all know who the knob is.

• No. I'm not intelligent enough but thanks for your efforts to enlighten.
  • Tomorrow's election is important. On Friday, we could start to see the abolition of exploitative zero-hour contracts.
  • Chizz said:

Tomorrow's election is important. On Friday, we could start to see the abolition of exploitative zero-hour contracts.

and more people in the dole queue as a result
  • Fiiish said:

holyjo said:

Fiiish said:

Chizz said:

In 1997, Labour took office, following Margaret Thatcher and John Major's terms which inflicted two massive recessions, in 1981 and 1990.

In May 2010, David Cameron "inherited" an economy that was growing at 1% per annum, with wages growing faster than inflation. George Osborne increased VAT to 20% and introduced the severe austerity programme.

1) You forgot the bit where Thatcher was having to clean up a country widely denounced as the 'sick man of Europe' and was so poor bins weren't emptied for months and undertakers weren't being paid so bodies were piling up in morgues for weeks on end. The first recession was caused by successful measures to stop runaway inflation, the second recession was caused by global factors. In 1997 the UK had gone from being the sick man of Europe to one of the world's strongest performing economies and Blair and Brown were so impressed with the Tories they even stuck to the Tories' own spending plans up until 2001.

2) To achieve growth of 1% per annum and to keep inflation down in the midst of a global economic catastrophe, Brown had to double the national debt over the course of a few years. Believe me, there is nothing impressive about massive increases in public spending to then boast about growth levels, considering one of the components of the growth function is the level of public spending.
    I hope even you would concede that in 1997 the Labour government inherited a nation with 19th century schools and hospitals.
    Considering I'm young enough to have been in schools and hospitals in the 1990s and old enough at the time to remember it, I cannot concede that '19th century' is an appropriate description of them.

Maybe not where you went to school.......
  • brogib said:

Chizz said:

Tomorrow's election is important. On Friday, we could start to see the abolition of exploitative zero-hour contracts.

You'd prefer exploitative zero-hours contracts? OK, then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Hmm. Ok then.

Yeah ok then. Actually I think we all know who the knob is.

People who make up quotes to compare politicians with the Holocaust? And before you go on, I hope you are at least intelligent enough to realise I was using an outrageous fallacy to expose the fallacy of your stance on IDS.

My stance !!!!? Think you need to back track the posts.

What on earth are you going to do with yourself once this election is over and the dust has settled. Your going to have to post about football. I can't wait.

• Fiiish said:

holyjo said:

Fiiish said:

Chizz said:

Unfortunately I didn't go to every school in the country in the 1990s. And those who did, well the police are probably aware of them.
  • Fiiish they're rattled!!!

• Chizz said:

brogib said:

Chizz said:

Zero-hours contracts yes, it's up to the person signing em if they think they're exploitative or not.

• www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk.news/more-80-suicide-cases-directly-5634404

• brogib said:

Chizz said:

brogib said:

Chizz said:

Zero-hours contracts yes, it's up to the person signing em if they think they're exploitative or not.

Or the government.

• edited May 2015
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

holyjo said:

Fiiish said:

Chizz said:

Unfortunately I didn't go to every school in the country in the 1990s. And those who did, well the police are probably aware of them.

So you can concede that not every kid went to schools fit for purpose?
  • In all seriousness compared to 2010 this election campaign has been pretty poor. Nothing to match Bigotgate or Cleggmania or Farage crashing a plane into a field. All the action has been largely contained in Scotland. Cameron doesn't have the fire in his belly that he had in 2010 and Miliband has been largely kept off centre stage. Both Labour and the Tories know they aren't going to win a majority but a refusal to admit this or discuss coalition/confidence and supply possibilities basically means we're marching into the polls blindfolded. The voters were galvanised by the financial crisis in 2010 but as we are in a recovery there has been no single killer issue - the NHS, the deficit, Europe, immigration, public services, wages and other issues have been juggled around. The turnout figure will be interesting and I hope, regardless of the result, as many people go out and vote as possible. Good luck to all candidates standing tomorrow. I imagine quite a few of us will stay up into the wee hours to watch the exit polls come in.