Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• EM was like a 40 year old virgin with three treacles after him, quite funny that

When did Farage abuse people with HIV?
  • Waste of time this one. Too many parties who can't wait to prop up a labour government.

No real balance, sick of seeing minor nationalist parties who only care about their own.
  • A vote for anyone other than blue or red gets us run by people who really only care about Scotland and Wales and what they will get out the dealings and under table handshakes from red ed or if just call me dave can persuade nice guy nick for one last dance we may have a status quo and a chance to learn more about if either party can really continue working at getting it right

• edited April 2015
    The way the system works, it looks like the Lib Dems will be the power brokers again. Only this time, they will have a choice of the Tories or Labour. There are two reasons why it is likely to be Labour. The first is they are more natural bedfellows, the second is that Labour plus SNP will equal more than Tories plus Liberals, so if they want continued power/influence they would have to go with Labour IMO. This will push out the SNP, who will have absolutely no power. They might rue not being more conciliatory with Labour from the off. If you like a bet, Labour Lib coalition looks a good one, don't know what the odds are though. Probably wont be too good.
  • seth plum said:

I thought it was a big improvement for Natalie Bennett tonight,

I thought she just reinforced how out of depth she was compared to all the others.

500,00 homes. Firstly where on earth does she get this figure from - she has absolutely no idea how this can possibly be delivered. Everything about housebuilding and the infrastructure required to provide decent homes is against what the Greens stand for.

• The way the system works, it looks like the Lib Dems will be the power brokers again. Only this time, they will have a choice of the Tories or Labour. There are two reasons why it is likely to be Labour. The first is they are more natural bedfellows, the second is that Labour plus SNP will equal more than Tories plus Liberals, so if they want continued power/influence they would have to go with Labour IMO. If you like a bet, Labour Lib coalition looks a good one, don't know what the odds are though. Probably wont be too good.

Trialition it is then.

• I.better float my company and run off with the shillings I have made
    If that really is the likelyhood of the vote
  • Addickted said:

seth plum said:

I thought she just reinforced how out of depth she was compared to all the others.

500,00 homes. Firstly where on earth does she get this figure from - she has absolutely no idea how this can possibly be delivered. Everything about housebuilding and the infrastructure required to provide decent homes is against what the Greens stand for.

Yes, but the ideal, the aspiration on housing was one I agree with. For the Greens the devil is in the detail, so yes, probably out of her depth practically, but in the lead idealistically because who doesn't think we need to really sort the housing crisis out?
    The Tory announced policy on housing, although apparently detailed, I thought was not aimed at those who are obliged to rent, but those who will tie their lives to a mortgage for good or ill.
    I personally believe housing is a serious issue in this election, and I am glad it is high on the debate agenda.
  • Or bet it all. Currently only a couple of seats between Labour and Conservatives. Next biggest would be SNP with 40 odd and then Lib Dems with just under 30. So unless Tories have a coalition with SNP!!! It is clear that those 30 or so seats are going to be massive. Betfair only 3-1 but 7s or 8s with a lot of others on Labour/Lib coalition.
  • seth plum said:

Addickted said:

seth plum said:

Yes, but the ideal, the aspiration on housing was one I agree with. For the Greens the devil is in the detail, so yes, probably out of her depth practically, but in the lead idealistically because who doesn't think we need to really sort the housing crisis out?
    The Tory announced policy on housing, although apparently detailed, I thought was not aimed at those who are obliged to rent, but those who will tie their lives to a mortgage for good or ill.
    I personally believe housing is a serious issue in this election, and I am glad it is high on the debate agenda.
    Tie their lives to a mortgage?

Does your landlord stop charging you rent after 25 years then?

• Sponsored links:

• I thought it was an interesting debate, and was glad that (despite Ed's attempts) we didn't go over the same ground, like the NHS.

Farage was ganged up on, but I suspect he likes to play the "no-one likes us, we don't care" approach and play the outsider.

A shame to not have any of the N Ireland parties there, as that could have created some interesting tensions with the Scottish and Welsh nationalists
  • The current favourite bet is Labour minority. Even if Tories have more seats - if it is not by a large margin they can't have a workable government because of the weight of non labour anti Tory seats. If libs join them again, Labour and SNP would still be able to vote everything down, even if not in coalition. For this reason, both Labour and Libs will want stability of a coalition between them. Simples.
  • If we get another coalition do you think that this might mean we seriously start to evaluate whether First Past the Post is the right system anymore?
  • it is unfair that the lib dems can have 25 plus more seats than UKIP with significantly fewer votes!
  • Addickted said:

seth plum said:

Addickted said:

seth plum said:

Yes, but saving for a deposit can add a lot of years prior to the 25 years kicking in, especially if you're on a minimum wage.

• it is unfair that the lib dems can have 25 plus more seats than UKIP with significantly fewer votes!

They have 55 more seats than Ukip. Because they have won the local arguments in 55 more constituencies than Ukip have.
  • seth plum said:

Addickted said:

seth plum said:

Addickted said:

seth plum said:

Yes, but saving for a deposit can add a lot of years prior to the 25 years kicking in, especially if you're on a minimum wage.

If a couple are proposing to pay £1500 a month for a mortgage then putting away £1500 month towards a deposit, shouldn't take you too long. That's £36k in two years - a pretty decent deposit I would have thought.

• Addickted said:

seth plum said:

Addickted said:

seth plum said:

Addickted said:

seth plum said:

If a couple are proposing to pay £1500 a month for a mortgage then putting away £1500 month towards a deposit, shouldn't take you too long. That's £36k in two years - a pretty decent deposit I would have thought.

I'd like to congratulate any couple that is able to put away £1,500 a month, for two years, on a minimum wage
  • I think ukip are getting found out. Carswell struggling to justify himself on question time
  • A couple on minimum wage wouldn't be looking at buying their own house.
  • Sponsored links:

• The current favourite bet is Labour minority. Even if Tories have more seats - if it is not by a large margin they can't have a workable government because of the weight of non labour anti Tory seats. If libs join them again, Labour and SNP would still be able to vote everything down, even if not in coalition. For this reason, both Labour and Libs will want stability of a coalition between them. Simples.

That would last 3 to 6 months at the most. We would do it all again in the autumn.
  • Addickted said:

A couple on minimum wage wouldn't be looking at buying their own house.

Your responded to Seth, who made the point about being on minimum wage.

But what's your view? Should people on minimum wage be provided with the opportunity to own their own home?
  • Question for anyone voting Labour.

Looking at the coalition options, it seems we have:

1) Tory and UKIP

2) Extension of current coalition (Clegg has already said he would work with Dave again).

3) Labour and SNP.

I honestly think the only way Labour get into power is with the SNP in tow.

Why the bloody hell would you vote to have a party helping to hold up the government of your country who don't even want to be part of it? It is utter madness. SNP would be catastrophic for our country.

• Addickted said:

seth plum said:

Addickted said:

seth plum said:

Addickted said:

seth plum said:

Except they have to pay for accommodation during those two years of saving. They will like as not be renters. In the private rental market how can a minimum wage earner pay the rent and also save for a deposit?
  • I believe everybody should have the right to own their own home.

The problem is, a couple on minimum wage would probably max out on a £150k mortgage. So perhaps one of the many shared ownership schemes would be a better option.

Sacrifices would have to be made, holidays and up to date gadgets would have to be left out, but even on minimum wage home ownership is feasible.

Problem is, a lot of people aren't prepared to make those sacrifices and then throw insults at those who have bought their own house, 30 years later, because they're 'middle class'.

1) Tory and UKIP

2) Extension of current coalition (Clegg has already said he would work with Dave again).

3) Labour and SNP.

Why the bloody hell would you vote to have a party helping to hold up the government of your country who don't even want to be part of it? It is utter madness. SNP would be catastrophic for our country.

So, are you discounting a coalition between Labour and the LibDems?

1) Tory and UKIP

3) Labour and SNP.

You are forgetting a Labour coalition with the Lib Dems.
  • edited April 2015
    seth plum said:

Addickted said:

seth plum said:

Addickted said:

seth plum said:

Addickted said:

seth plum said:

Except they have to pay for accommodation during those two years of saving. They will like as not be renters. In the private rental market how can a minimum wage earner pay the rent and also save for a deposit?
    Live with their parents.

As about 90% of those saving for a deposit do.

Why keep cracking on about minimum wage earners?

If you want to own your own house, then you will make whatever sacrifice you need to own it. No cars, no holidays, no kids, no nights out. It all depends on your priorities. And living in a Capitalist Society allows people to have those independent choices.

• edited April 2015
    Can't understand how Ed Miliband is taken so seriously. He comes across as like an actor in a film playing a politician with the cliche phrases and his body language. Just seems like a complete caricature.
  • cafctom said:

Can't understand how Ed Miliband is taken so seriously. He comes across as like an actor in a film playing a politician with the cliche phrases and his body language. Just seems like a complete caricature.

Because the alternative is Cameron perhaps?