Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Spring 2015 (matches against WI, IRE & NZ)

Comments

• edited April 2015
    65-1 at tea.

England need 78 runs from a maximum of 40 overs after tea.
  • Won by 9 wickets.
  • Two good knocks from Cook and Ballance. Ballance showed he can bat at another pace. Third fastest Englishmen to 1000 runs, looks like we have a useful number three for the foreseeable. Would like to see Rashid get a chance in the last test.
  • First test win abroad since 2012.
  • What's more is that we rescued that from what appeared to be a draw. Anderson's spell was excellent.
  • It would appear that a comfortable England victory with Cook and Balance in the runs doesn't really interest the majority of CL's self appointed cricket correspondents. Unbelievable lack of comment during the run chase and after the subsequent victory from the usual suspects. As one of them asked me the other day when discussing KP, "Would you rather see Emgland lose?" Looks like he and the others would.
  • edited April 2015
    Thank god for your constant, run-by-run updates...
    :wink:
  • Thank god for your constant, run-by-run updates...

I've got a pub to run mate but stil managed to post the result.
  • Riviera said:

Maybe other people had stuff to do too? Mate.
  • Riviera said:

It would appear that a comfortable England victory with Cook and Balance in the runs doesn't really interest the majority of CL's self appointed cricket correspondents. Unbelievable lack of comment during the run chase and after the subsequent victory from the usual suspects. As one of them asked me the other day when discussing KP, "Would you rather see Emgland lose?" Looks like he and the others would.

Sorry I was out with the family yesterday.

What can I say. Well it was a win and you can only beat what's in front of you.

Behind us we had an inspired Anderson, signs that Broad can still put in a spell, a brillaint innings from Root and clinical performances from Cook and Ballance. Ali needs more overs but was getting there by the end.

In front of us it would appear that the Windies offered very little resistance but I think we all knew that this was only ever going to be a stepping stone to greater challenges ahead of us this summer.

To put things in perspective, the Windies' top five included a 33 year old opener with a Test average of 24 and a soon to be 41 year old who simply looks like he's been "kept in training" too long.

As for their bowling, well the Windies possess a decent opening bowler, when he's on his game, in the shape of Roach but who, with figures of 0-118, clearly wasn't here. His opening partner, Gabriel, has pace but is still raw and lacking stamina and first change Holder has height but no pace. Bishoo isn't the worst spinner in the world but Samuels has never been Test class as evidenced by his average of 60 plus.

Our opposition resorted in the first innings to tossing the ball to a modern day Nasser (Brathwaite - just one Test and three first class wickets to his name). Can only think they hadn't checked his career record prior to the match but probably did following his 14 run single over. Hence the reason they asked him to end proceedings as quickly as possible.

So, I repeat, we did all we could. We probably now know at least nine of the team (and if Trott doesn't fail in the final Test then we will have all bar one) that will play in the First Test against N Z. And that, I suspect, will be a Test.
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

Maybe other people had stuff to do too? Mate.
    Well I think they should all report on here their excuses, pal.
  • Ooh, I'd better step aside. I'm sure everyone's queuing up to get there excuses in lest they irritate a self-important barman.
  • I feel terrible for not hailing the conquering hero's, I was getting the house ready for estate agent photos and had a couple of kids to mollify....I'm sorry, really really sorry.
  • Sorry Riv. I was in The Ramblers Rest.
  • as someone said you can only beat whats infront of you and we beat Windies reserves

would like to see us play some of our reserves in the last test although i suspect it wont happen

special shout for Jimmy ...Ironic that he runs out Holder
  • Good to see some more positive cricket at least, superb from Anderson in particular on such a lifeless wicket.

I'd like to see Lyth in for Trott, he's more aggressive and deserves a chance, Trott looks uncomfortable opening and it's too defensive a top 3, as many have said.
  • Hales has followed his double ton in the first CC match with a 141 in the second.
  • Good to see some more positive cricket at least, superb from Anderson in particular on such a lifeless wicket.

I'd like to see Lyth in for Trott, he's more aggressive and deserves a chance, Trott looks uncomfortable opening and it's too defensive a top 3, as many have said.

Positive result, certainly. We won't beat many sides playing that brand of cricket.
  • I didn't say very positive, just more positive!
  • Hales has followed his double ton in the first CC match with a 141 in the second.

Is Alex Hales going to become the next David Sales? I sincerely hope not.
  • Sponsored links:

• England ODI squad to play Ireland:

James Taylor(c)
    Alex Hales
    Jason Roy
    James Vince
    Johnny Bairstow (wk)
    Sam Billings
    Zafar Ansari
    Tim Bresnan
    Lewis Gregory
    David Willey
    Steven Finn
  • Congrats to Kent's Sam Billings and Surrey's Jason Roy & Zafar Ansari.

Why, wot they dun ?

Why, wot they dun ?

England ODI squad to play Ireland:

James Taylor(c)
    Alex Hales
    Jason Roy
    James Vince
    Johnny Bairstow (wk)
    Sam Billings
    Zafar Ansari
    Tim Bresnan
    Lewis Gregory
    David Willey
    Steven Finn

• Interesting that Billings is included but Bairstow keeps, opening the door to Billings, should he prove himself as a batsman, eventually playing as a batsman in addition to Buttler. In saying that, Bairstow did play for England as a batsman but never convincing as such.

If this is a squad for tomorrow, as it appears, why is Bresnan in it? Do we really not have another young and up and coming all rounder that we have to revert to a 30 year old not now good enough to play for England?
  • Is this squad not a bit insulting to Ireland - I know we need to look at the youngsters but this is wholesale change.
  • MrOneLung said:

Is this squad not a bit insulting to Ireland - I know we need to look at the youngsters but this is wholesale change.

Perhaps England are trying to get away from nicking older Irish players such as Joyce, Morgan and Rankin. Who knows, we might stop recruiting Saffers next ;-)
  • Agree with AA - why Bresnan ?
    Also, Lewis Gregory is an interesting one.
  • Agree with AA - why Bresnan ?
    Also, Lewis Gregory is an interesting one.

Indeed you'd have thought they'd go with someone young with pace like matt Dunn...
  • We have moaned that they won't try out younger, fresher players who will express themselves. And now they do - you still get people moaning.