Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Spring 2015 (matches against WI, IRE & NZ)

Comments

• Options
    299 all out
  • Options

299 all out

Seems familiar.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    One interesting stat for you cricket Stattos out there.......
    If Tredders had played instead of Jordan then all five England bowlers would have bowled right handed but batted.....left handed.
    #illgetmecoat
  • Options
    Does Jimmy bat left handed?
  • Options
    74-0 at close of play. 225 behind WI.
  • Options
    Christ, this wicket is so dead I reckon I would back myself to get 50.

The wickets in the Windies seem to be either death traps or dead as a Dodo.
  • Options

One interesting stat for you cricket States out there.......
    If Tredders had played instead of Jordan then all five England bowlers would have bowled right handed but batted.....left handed.
    #illgetmecoat

This is interesting.
    There's a school of thought that says if you are a naturally right handed person (or, to be more technical, 'Right Eye Dominant') then you ought to bat left handed in cricket (and vice versa). Your front arm is the more important arm and your line of sight is in a better position, apparently. I know David Gower used to be of this opinion and is an example of this in practice in test cricket.
    The thing is, when we first pick up a cricket bat, we automatically hold it on the dominant side of our body like we do with a tennis racket or golf club. Righties then naturally end up batting right handed and lefties left handed.
    The fact that five of our best bowlers bat with their 'wrong' hand maybe suggests that youngsters are being encouraged to bat the other way round to get the best out of them.
  • Options

Does Jimmy bat left handed?

Yes as does Broad, Treders, Ali and Stokes. In fact, when we add Cook, Ballance and Lyth to that number we have the same number of left handers (eight) as right handers in the squad.

And yet, less than one per cent of all golfers, for example, are lefties.

I did try, when Seb was six or seven, to see how good he was batting left handed but, in truth, it wasn't that successful. Equally, his District coach suggested that Seb should play golf left handed. And when he came back to play cricket following a few golf lessons right handed I could see why - his back swing had moved from being aimed towards the slips to all the way round to fine leg!
  • Options
    The proliferation of left handers was a major factor in Swann's success with the ball.

Swann was the leading wicket-taker in the 2013 Ashes in England with 26 wickets, but in his Test career to that point, he had taken 118 wickets at 26 against left-handed batsmen compared to his 130 wickets at 33 against right-handed batsmen.

During the Ashes in England, as the number of left-handers in the Australian team decreased, Swann became less effective. In the first Test, Australia had six lefties, while in the second Test it was five. In those Test matches, Swann picked up 13 wickets at 22.07. While in the next three Tests, Australia respectively had four, three and three. In those matches Swann picked up 13 at 36
  • Options
    This is the God's honest truth - I fell asleep last night watching Cook and Trott bat and when I woke up the day's play had finished.

I could understand if The Snail had been at the crease ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This is the God's honest truth - I fell asleep last night watching Cook and Trott bat and when I woke up the day's play had finished.

Yep, me too AA.
    I dont know whether i should admit it, but i changed channel to watch IPL .
  • Options

Yep, me too AA.
    Surely not. It was exciting stuff watching Cook and The Sloth blocking and pushing singles. Why would you want to watch players in the IPL smashing the ball into a packed crowd?
  • Options

Yep, me too AA.
    on a serious note ...especially youngsters it would be a no brainer every time to watch something more entertaining

i fear for test cricket if its played on pitches like this

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I'm a bit of a traditionalist and continue to defend test cricket as the real deal, but I lasted 15 minutes of England's innings last night. Not quite sure what test cricket does to position itself alongside 20-20 in this day and age where time and instant gratification are so important, but pitches like this and the penchant for picking three blockers at the top of the order are sure as s##t not the places to start.
  • Options
    Coaching has definitely moved on from the days when "the leave" was the best shot you could play. Now youngsters are being encouraged to, in the right circumstances, play the more extravagant shots like the scoop, ramp, Dilshan, reverse sweep, reverse pull, slog sweep etc etc.

Having said that, there will always be passages in play when the bowler will be on top and batsmen have to dig in. That's what makes Test cricket different. But it's not different when the intent of the likes of Cook and Trott is solely survival and occupation of the crease.

They are from that former era but if English cricket, both Test and ODI, is to progress then the likes of Hales and/or Ali should be at the top of the order and given a decent run at proving themselves. And by that I don't mean four or five matches. Otherwise, we will get what we've always got.
  • Options
    Maybe our bowlers are batting correctly but using the wrong hand to bowl !!!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Maybe our bowlers are batting correctly but using the wrong hand to bowl !!!

Or maybe cant bat or bowl - go to batting right-handed and bowling left-handed.
  • Options
    god ....its boring !!!
  • Options
    99-0 off 40 so 25 scored off 14 overs today.

Cook 47* (133)
    Trott 43* (115)

• Options
    edited April 2015
    102-0 :smile:

Cook 50 no.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Coaching has definitely moved on from the days when "the leave" was the best shot you could play. Now youngsters are being encouraged to, in the right circumstances, play the more extravagant shots like the scoop, ramp, Dilshan, reverse sweep, reverse pull, slog sweep etc etc.

Having said that, there will always be passages in play when the bowler will be on top and batsmen have to dig in. That's what makes Test cricket different. But it's not different when the intent of the likes of Cook and Trott is solely survival and occupation of the crease.

They are from that former era but if English cricket, both Test and ODI, is to progress then the likes of Hales and/or Ali should be at the top of the order and given a decent run at proving themselves. And by that I don't mean four or five matches. Otherwise, we will get what we've always got.

If you're facing Mitchell Johnson at his best or going back in time Ambrose and Walsh on a green top or Holding, Marshall, Garner etc, then survival is entirely understandable, but on a slow pitch and against unthreatening bowling, a bit of intent would be nice.

It's the difference between Charlton starting cautiously against a good team like Watford, or against a poor team like Blackpool
  • Options
    125-1

Trott caught at slip off the spinner for 59.
  • Options
    Cook only just survives an lbw review on 65.
  • Options
    I have turned it off. It is as slow as a snail on valium dragging a thirteen ton weight.
  • Options
    35 overs today and 65 runs off the bat. Not even two an over.
  • Options
    I've seen it all now. A rank ball from the spinner down the leg side and the snail decides to leave it. Ramdin is so surprised the batsman doesn't whack it out of the ground that he makes no attempt to stop it and it goes for four byes!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    159-2

Cook drags onto his stumps for 76
  • Options
    164-3

Bell also drags on, for 1.
  • Options
    251-3

Root gets to his 6th successive score of 50 plus in Tests off 69 balls.

Ballance 47* (120)
  • Options
    Samuels tosses up a hand grenade and Ballance duly tries to smash it only succeeding in chopping on. Out for 77 (188).

329-4

Root 86* (112)