Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Spring 2015 (matches against WI, IRE & NZ)

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like Moeen is playing today instead of Tredders.
    Will make the batting line-up very strong (unless, of course they drop Trott.
    Also talk of Rashid in team - maybe instead of Jordan, which would make the batting line-up incredibly strong with...

Cook
    Trott
    Snail
    Bell
    Root
    Ali
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Rashid
    Broad
    Jimmy
  • Options
    I would go with that team but I would take the sloth out (Trott) and see what Lyth can do. You really like my description of Ballance don't you @The_President ? But you are in breach of copyright laws, as you have to either pay me royalties or ask my permission to use it.
  • Options

Ok three years

Sorry, I wasn't digging at you. I just found it interesting to see how far his form has dropped in the last 3 years. Strange how it's all gone so horribly wrong
    I didnt take it as a dig Chrissy, just accepted your stats were better than my guess. One of the things I notice is that he made a huge score v India in 2011 - I vaguely remember this also being a score where he had broken a lean spell ? We all know that he's going to get bugger all in WI , but then score a ton/near ton in last game when there is nothing at stake. Sounds sad, but I desperately want him to score bugger all v WI and NZ, which would make his position untenable- because I believe England will be stronger without him.
    As harsh as it is, have to agree with this. A big score against Windies will keep him in for the ashes. England need to move on. We're not a strong enough team to be able to carry him through an ashes series
  • Options
    The Aussies have Cook's number for sure. Everyone knows his weakness outside off, and they are the best at exploiting it sadly.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    The expected change is Moeen Ali in for Tredwell. Otherwise unchanged, with Trott expecting to keep his place in the team for the 2nd Test.
  • Options
    So, its looking like...
    Chef
    Sloth (Copyright pending)
    Snail (Copyright pending)
    Ding-dong
    Branch
    Baba
    Rhymes-with_pokes
    Hate-you
    Katie Price
    As its Long
    TopMan
  • Options
    Ali in for Treadwell the only change

Alastair Cook (capt)
    Jonathan Trott
    Gary Ballance
    Ian Bell
    Joe Root
    Ben Stokes
    Moeen Ali
    Jos Buttler (wk)
    Chris Jordan
    Stuart Broad
    James Anderson

Standard conservative England selection. Boring! I don't know why I'm still surprised!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Started just before 5pm. Rain delayed. England won toss & are bowling.

WI 12-1

Brathwaite b Anderson 1
  • Options
    26-1

Smith dropped by Ballance off Jordan.
  • Options
    Ballance was a bit snail like getting across to try and take that catch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2015
    28-2

Smith c Buttler b Jordan 15 (apparently he didn't hit it).
  • Options
    Lunch

36-2
  • Options
    Bravo c Cook B Broad 35

65-3
  • Options
    74-4

Chanderpaul c Moeen b Stokes 1
  • Options
    Chanderpaul c Ali b Stokes 1

75-4
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/32107949

Steven Finn has given a remarkably candid interview today that is just reaching us. In it he identifies the decision to shorten his run-up a couple of years ago as the source of his bowling problems - but blames nobody but himself.

"The short run got canned quite quickly after it came in," he said. "I think that's what cocked me up really - looking back at it, coming off a short run made everything tense and made me force bowling quick.

"It worked for a brief time in New Zealand. I didn't quite have the feeling of bowling well, but I was getting the results - so it was masked over.

"The short-term fix wasn't a fix to the long-term problem. It's taken a bit of unravelling, but it's no-one's fault other than mine."

Following remedial work Finn is starting to believe he has a lasting solution - thanks largely to watching video footage of him at his best.

"I came back to England and had to realign everything, but it's not easy once you've grooved bad habits," he said.

"It's taken a long time, but this running thing could be the last piece in the puzzle.

"You can see when I was running up as a carefree 21-year-old, I just legged it to the crease - it was natural. As I've had to think about other things, there's been tension that has come into my run-up."
  • Options
    Interesting piece, cheers Callum.

Goes along with a lot said about Anderson this week looking back on his career and the fact going back to something closer to his natural game was key.

Obviously coaching is important but it shows the danger of forgetting what was making a player promising in the first place.
  • Options
    Sri lankan coaches say that they had some English coaches in SL when Malinga was coming through who wanted to change the way he bowled!
  • Options
    The ECB managed to chase Maurice Holmes, the 'English Murali' out of the game too.
  • Options

The ECB managed to chase Maurice Holmes, the 'English Murali' out of the game too.

That was the guy I was trying to remember the other day cheers. Conservatism (with a small c... Start of sentence notwithstanding) runs very deep in British sport especially cricket. If its not in the manual they can't handle it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    129-5

Blackwood lbw Jordan 26
  • Options

Interesting piece, cheers Callum.

Goes along with a lot said about Anderson this week looking back on his career and the fact going back to something closer to his natural game was key.

Obviously coaching is important but it shows the danger of forgetting what was making a player promising in the first place.

The great Australian Rugby League coach Wayne Bennett has the same piece of advice to any player who totally loses form and confidence: "Go back to what got you here in the first place."

It usually works.
  • Options
    I have it on good authority that Steven Finn had his head messed up a bit by a certain glamour model just as he went away for that ashes tour.
  • Options
    I think that the demise of Steve Finn, is symptomatic of the way we approach our cricket generally - always safety first, never taking a risk to win the game.

I saw him bowl over here in 2010, and he was excellent - hostile, pacey and most importantly got people out. OK he went for a few boundaries, but so does Dale Steyn and Mitchell Johnson.

For reasons unknown it looks like various coaches have tried to turn him into a reliable seam bowler - why? We have plenty of those already.

This England attack is desperate for some variety - which he would give us, if he went back to bowling how he used to when he first came into the team.
  • Options

Sri lankan coaches say that they had some English coaches in SL when Malinga was coming through who wanted to change the way he bowled!

To be fair, any coach worth his salt would surely have suggested that regardless of their nationality?
    Although he must have shown real potential, there was surely no way of telling if Malinga would have cut the mustard when he was a youngster, so you'd expect a coach to try to remove potential problems like the bowling arm pointing virtually horizontal. Hindsight is always 20-20, so I can't see how anyone can criticise a coach for this.
    Even now I'm still surprised every time I watch him that he keeps such control of his line.
  • Options

thats really is an unspoken tragedy ...not enough made of that

• Options
    Didnt know about Maurice Holmes - just read article online about it - shocking.
  • Options

I'd never heard of this guy so looked him up. Poor guy. Shockingly treated by the ECB:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/nov/06/maurice-holmes-english-murali-spin
  • Options
    WI 289-9 after being 247-9
  • Options
    you'd need a heart of stone to not enjoy this :D