Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Spring 2015 (matches against WI, IRE & NZ)

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2015

Didn't see the catch last night, as went to bed early, but watched it this morning.

WHAT A CATCH !!

Fantastic reactions and fast hands. Perhaps he should do short leg as well instead of................

It is interesting how the make up of the slips has evolved. In the old days a fast bowlers place was at third man and fine leg. In recent years, however, probably our two best close fielders have been Jordan and Anderson.
    Those two have only really been in the slips for the spinner. .

When the quicks are bowling it makes sense for the slips to stay the same the whole time rather than chip and change depending on whose bowling so Anderson has never been there for a quick! They have rightly so made an exception for Jordan as he is exceptional!
    Yes, if you Google 'Jordan catch' there are several to choose from already.
  • Options
    You can just watch that again and again and again ... unreal!
  • Options
    here we go.
    Lets see if Jimmy can get the record. My boss is there today - it might be a 'i woz there' moment for him.
  • Options
    Interesting to compare the figures of the two front line spinners in the respective sides:

Tredwell 40-20-62-4

Benn 52-6-200-2

• Options
    Benn is a complete and utter waste of space and I have absolutely no idea how the WI keep picking him with the figures some of their domestic spinners have (caveat: their domestic batsmen can't play spin). This will surely be his last Test.
  • Options
    99-2.

7 overs today, 1 run followed by 6 maidens. Broad & Treadwell bowling.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Ha. Good post by me. 2 balls later 104-2.
  • Options
    Smith caught at mid-on off Tredwell's bowling for 65.

119-3
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Smith c Ballance b Treadwell 65

WI 119-3.
  • Options
    Smith out caught by limited snail on drugs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You're not gonna let that go are you! :)
  • Options

Jason Gillespie once got a test double century but I would certainly say he was a limited batsman.

• Options
    I dont mind Ballance though as a test batsman.
  • Options

I really don't know how he managed to hold onto that one. It was almost of Jordan proportions!
  • Options
    And a missed stumping off Treders.

• Options
    Anderson equals record 127-4
  • Options
    Anderson gets Samuels for 23.

127-4
  • Options
    Catch by Treders but it wasn't as good as the Limited One.
  • Options

Interesting to compare the figures of the two front line spinners in the respective sides:

Tredwell 40-20-62-4

Benn 52-6-200-2

Did i read somewhere that Moeen will be ready for 2nd test? - if so, there's no guarantee that he'll come back.
  • Options

Tredwell 40-20-62-4

Benn 52-6-200-2

Did i read somewhere that Moeen will be ready for 2nd test? - if so, there's no guarantee that he'll come back.
    reckon root gets more revs on the ball than Moeen or tredders

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Min Patel, who coaches Adam Riley too (and Seb for that matter) told me last year, that he had been doing a lot of work with Treders at the time he couldn't get in the Kent Championship side, to try to get him away from a less defensive T20 mode of bowling.

Looks like that's worked but it does go to show how difficult it is to change, especially as a spinner, from stopping yourself from being hit out of the ground to enticing the batsman to make a mistake. Especially when, day in day out, you've been used to doing the former.

• Options

Didn't see the catch last night, as went to bed early, but watched it this morning.

WHAT A CATCH !!

Fantastic reactions and fast hands. Perhaps he should do short leg as well instead of................

It is interesting how the make up of the slips has evolved. In the old days a fast bowlers place was at third man and fine leg. In recent years, however, probably our two best close fielders have been Jordan and Anderson.
    Willis and Hendrick often fielded in the slips in the late 70's.
  • Options
    What Ali does do is strengthen the make up of the team. With Stokes bowling at 88mph too it means we can go in with just two front line quickies and a spinner or three quickies.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

WHAT A CATCH !!

Willis and Hendrick often fielded in the slips in the late 70's.
    I remember Hendrick but not Willis fielding in slips
  • Options
    Chanderpaul lbw to Root for 13. Referred...
  • Options
    Think that Stokes could be used as a shock bowler - in small spells. Still have my doubts about Jordan (can we bring him on as 12th man every game ?!)
    So, my 11 v Aus would be

Lyth
    Trott/ANother
    Snail
    KP
    Bell
    Root
    Buttler
    Moeen
    Stokes
    Broad
    Jimmy

would be a long batting line-up thats for sure, and not sure we need a 5th bowler.
  • Options
    Referral unsuccessful. Chanderpaul is out.

155-5
  • Options
    Anderson, Broad, Stokes with Ali, Root and KP spin is a bit too light for me. Stokes is not ready to be anything more than a fourth seamer at this stage.

Need a Jordan or a Finn (if only we had a left arm quick) to be third seamer.
  • Options
    There you go - Root as 5th bowler !
    When you consider 5th bowler generally bowls no more than 10 overs per day, i think that 10 overs of Joe Root might not be too bad !
  • Options
    Root - 2-6 from 6 overs!

Rooooooooooot!