Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Spring 2015 (matches against WI, IRE & NZ)

Comments

• Options
    Riviera said:

The International aspect of English cricket is a complete mess. We were wrong to go back to Moores, we were wrong to go back to Trott. Personally I thought Cook having had the winter off would come back all guns blazing in Test cricket but the guy is totally burnt out. We would also be wrong to go back to Pieterson; what would be the point? He won't be around for the next Ashes tour.
    We need to take this summer on the chin as the Aussies did in 2013. How ridiculed players like Smith and Warner? And many in this country laguhed at Mitchell Johnson's omission from that tour. Sure we retained the Ashes but anyone with just a smidge of understanding of the game saw through that result. I was not surprised at all at what followed that winter.
    We need to blood some youngsters, give the captaincy to Teachers Pet and say goodbye to Cook, Broad, Trott, KP and Co. Keep Bell as senior pro and build for the future just as Australia always do.

id keep Broad and i am sure you mean Root as teachers pet..otherwise agree

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Root bowled by Holder for 59.

166-4, lead by 270.

Ballance 67*
  • Options
    200-4, 60 overs

Ballance 75*
    Stokes 26*
  • Options
    edited April 2015

200-4, 60 overs

Ballance 75*
    Stokes 26*

Thanks Callum, Ballance not doing bad for a bloke who is a limited snail on valium.
    His Test Match average is now 63.46.
  • Options
    It's slightly unfair, but batting against this attack you don't so much measure success by the runs you score, but rather measure failure by the runs you don't score...
  • Options
    Lunch, day four.

224-4, 67 overs (lead by 328)

Ballance 92*
    Stokes 33*
  • Options
    Stokes stumped off the spinner for 35.

226-5 (lead by 330)

Ballance 92*
    Buttler 0*
  • Options
    Century for Gary Ballance with a four down the ground. He goes to 103*

243-5, 73.3 overs (lead by 347)

Buttler 5*
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I like Ballance . (that'll be the kiss of death then)

I have to say I don't and think he is an extremely limited player. Glad to be proved wrong though.
    Ballance 103* ;-)
  • Options

I like Ballance . (that'll be the kiss of death then)

I have to say I don't and think he is an extremely limited player. Glad to be proved wrong though.
    his avergae says otherwise - 57 from 10 matches including India. I understand what you say about limited, but sometimes think that batting 3 for England with a limited technique is not always a bad thing.
    Bell now out - run out - silly .

He averages 60.75 in test matches with three hundreds and three half centuries in thirteen innings.

By contrast, he averages 21.21 in 15 ODI innings.

I am a stats person but question the nature of his runs - mostly at home to a poor Sri Lankan attack and India who, after the 2nd Test, typically played as if they couldn't wait to go home.

Time will tell but the one thing you can be certain of is that every Test playing nation will have sussed out his strengths and weaknesses. And I just fear that, rather like Cook, once you limit his scoring options he will eventually get himself out.
    (-;
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Ballance hits against the spin and gets caught in the deep for 122.

281-6, 79.2 overs (lead by 385)

Buttler 24*
    Jordan 0*
  • Options
    306-6, 83 overs (lead by 410)

Buttler 43* (45 balls)
    Jordan 3*
  • Options
    Buttler gets to 50* from 47 balls.

314-6, 83.3 overs

Jordan 4*
  • Options
    Buttler given out lbw for 54 but overturned on review.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Jordan bowled for 13, but on a no ball. Gets caught in the deep the next ball. And England declare.

333-7 dec, 86 overs (lead by 437)

Buttler 59* (56 balls)

WI require 438 to win.
  • Options
    Odds on the Windies finishing on something like 320-9 tomorrow?
  • Options

Nil. They are rubbish.
  • Options
    Braithwaite fends off Broad to the close fielder for 5.

WI 7-1, 1.5 overs

• Options

Buttler 24*
    Jordan 0*

Shame because I just had the feeling that, after 250 balls, he was just getting his eye in ;-)

• Options
    Ballance had done his job by that point, scoring a century at a SR of around 50. He got caught in the deep trying to up the run rate before a declaration. Nothing wrong with that IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tea, day four.

WI 9-1, 5 overs

Smith 3*
    Bravo 1*
  • Options

Nil. They are rubbish.
    Unless it rains...
  • Options

Buttler 24*
    Jordan 0*

Shame because I just had the feeling that, after 250 balls, he was just getting his eye in ;-)

Good thing you put a smiley face in there !
  • Options
    WI 85-1, 30 overs

Smith 48*
    Bravo 32*
  • Options
    Wow, what a take that is!!!
  • Options
    Bravo gone.

B Root C Jordan

Sensational catch.

90-2

Root 2 overs, 1-0
  • Options
  • Options
    Didn't see the catch last night, as went to bed early, but watched it this morning.

WHAT A CATCH !!
  • Options

Didn't see the catch last night, as went to bed early, but watched it this morning.

WHAT A CATCH !!

Fantastic reactions and fast hands. Perhaps he should do short leg as well instead of................

It is interesting how the make up of the slips has evolved. In the old days a fast bowlers place was at third man and fine leg. In recent years, however, probably our two best close fielders have been Jordan and Anderson.
  • Options

WHAT A CATCH !!

Fantastic reactions and fast hands. Perhaps he should do short leg as well instead of................

It is interesting how the make up of the slips has evolved. In the old days a fast bowlers place was at third man and fine leg. In recent years, however, probably our two best close fielders have been Jordan and Anderson.
    Those two have only really been in the slips for the spinner. .

When the quicks are bowling it makes sense for the slips to stay the same the whole time rather than chip and change depending on whose bowling so Anderson has never been there for a quick! They have rightly so made an exception for Jordan as he is exceptional!