Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Spring 2015 (matches against WI, IRE & NZ)

Comments

• Options

Odds on the Windies finishing on something like 320-9 tomorrow?

Nil. They are rubbish.
    You were saying? :-P
  • Options

stodgy batting cost us YET again .. never mind

I disagree. We had the runs, despite both openers failing in both innings.

You can't expect more than four sessions to bowl a side out IMO, we had that but didn't deliver.

The bowlers didn't deliver. Granted the pitch was an absolute road. However, top class attacks take wickets even when the conditions are against them.

Anderson isn't the top quality bowler that he is when the ball is swinging.

Broad has lost a yard or two of pace since the injuries.

Jordan is ok, if a bit wayward.

Stokes is a batting all-rounder, not much more.

Tredwell, despite being an intelligent bowler, doesn't have the tricks or revs to be a top class spinner IMO. Root looked more threatening! I love Tredders, but he was kept out of the Kent side by Riley last season.

We just didn't have the bowling to knock over an average Windies side, although it was a superb innings from Holder that I thoroughly enjoyed watching.

A shame. We had a good opportunity to go 1-0 up.

What I said about us being shit was half said in jest though, it was a bit of both. Well played Windies, they did well.
  • Options
    I'm quite pleased W Indies played so well to get a draw, it might rekindle interest in Test cricket there and it shows the England hierarchy that this team (for whatever reason) isn't good enough.

We won the summer Ashes in 2013 by a very flattering margin, which did us no favours as we got stuffed the following winter.
  • Options
    Disappointing but don't want to be too harsh on them given that wicket.

It does make me laugh that Sky kept saying "well they'll be happy Jim got his record out of the way, now to win the match" yet they've been the ones banging on about it for 5 days.
  • Options
    Mind you it was a turgid match until the last session !.

Got to keep the cricket thread above bleedin baseball one.
  • Options
    Kp managing a whopping 19 runs there. To be fair though, Glamorgan are significantly better than the Aussies (point of reference - Sangakarra managing to cling on in spite of the onslaught)
  • Options
    I think the KP ship has sailed. I would have him in the current England side in a heartbeat. But we do need more oomph in the Batting. Personally I would take Trott out of the team and bat Mooen Ali there and tell him to go for his shots.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I think the KP ship has sailed. I would have him in the current England side in a heartbeat. But we do need more oomph in the Batting. Personally I would take Trott out of the team and bat Mooen Ali there and tell him to go for his shots.

I would say the same but probably Ali for Cook instead.
  • Options
    Cook has to go and now. He's had six moths to sort himself out but he really looks shot to pieces. We can't keep him just hoping he scores a couple of 50's and then appoint him for the Ashes. He'll fail in this series and v NZ and then we'll be in the same position as we were with the World Cup and have to appoint a new captain on the eve of the series.
    Thanks Cookie, enjoy your retirement on your farm.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Cook has to go and now. He's had six moths to sort himself out but he really looks shot to pieces. We can't keep him just hoping he scores a couple of 50's and then appoint him for the Ashes. He'll fail in this series and v NZ and then we'll be in the same position as we were with the World Cup and have to appoint a new captain on the eve of the series.

Can't disagree with any of this. Need him to prop up the Essex "batting".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see Hales scored 222 not out today in the CC against the Champions, Yorkshire.

Up until last year he had struggled in the longer format but, perhaps, we're seeing a more mature player now and if he could find that consistency I could see him playing in the same way as Graham Gooch did for his county and England.
  • Options

I see Hales scored 222 not out today in the CC against the Champions, Yorkshire.

Up until last year he had struggled in the longer format but, perhaps, we're seeing a more mature player now and if he could find that consistency I could see him playing in the same way as Graham Gooch did for his county and England.

Gooch 1979-1988 yes, not the boring zed he became once Alderman had sorted him out.
    His 123 v West Indies at Lords in 1980 remains one of the best innings I have ever seen. But then you weren't watching Test cricket in those days were you?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

agree ...its almost as if the selectors have him there in hope rather than expectation ...he has learnt nothing with regard to improving his technique ...ditch trott and have the yorkshire top three

also hes no mike brearley ...cooks inept as a man manager and a tactician oh and he cant field either

although we also need to find pace and spin bowlers who can take wickets

so not much wrong !! but i honestly believe we will play better cricket under a different skipper

• Options
    I see Alex Hales hit a very decent knock yesterday getting a double century against the Champions Yorkshire.

Always been regarded as a one-day/T20 player - does anyone think he could ever make it as Test opener?
  • Options

I see Alex Hales hit a very decent knock yesterday getting a double century against the Champions Yorkshire.

Always been regarded as a one-day/T20 player - does anyone think he could ever make it as Test opener?

See above ;-)
  • Options

Defiantly, just needs to be given a chance.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Think Cook is going to be under severe pressure should he continue not to score runs against WI and NZ.
    He quite clearly hasn't sorted out his flaw, oppos have sussed him, and he is a crap captain. Such a shame that he doesn't 'quit' - might have to be shoved ! Plus also Hales instead of Cook to open would give us a left-right combo plus some aggression in the batting.
  • Options

Think Cook is going to be under severe pressure should he continue not to score runs against WI and NZ.
    He quite clearly hasn't sorted out his flaw, oppos have sussed him, and he is a crap captain. Such a shame that he doesn't 'quit' - might have to be shoved !

Thing is - I've been saying for years what a limited player he is ;-)
  • Options

He quite clearly hasn't sorted out his flaw, oppos have sussed him, and he is a crap captain. Such a shame that he doesn't 'quit' - might have to be shoved !

Sounds perfect then !
  • Options

But he's been very effective despite his limitations, 25 Test centuries. Time to go now, not years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

But he's been very effective despite his limitations, 25 Test centuries. Time to go now, not years ago.
    Not for the last two years he hasn't. Because that's when he last got a ton for England.
  • Options
    Yes we all know that, so you're saying we should have got rid of him the first time he didn't score a hundred? Two years or years ago? You're not making sense.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Yes we all know that, so you're saying we should have got rid of him the first time he didn't score a hundred? Two years or years ago? You're not making sense.

That's 61 innings. How many would you have given him?

I rather think that you're the one not making sense.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Stop acting the fool.

You're trying to tell everyone that he should have gone "years ago", what's years 4, 5 or 6? Certainly not two years is it? He scored a century two years ago. After scoring 25 Test hundreds he earned the right to get a good run. That run now needs to end, before tomorrow.
    I don't know why you have this obsession with England captains getting dropped, you were the same with Strauss and Hussain.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Gooch 1979-1988 yes, not the boring zed he became once Alderman had sorted him out.
    His 123 v West Indies at Lords in 1980 remains one of the best innings I have ever seen. But then you weren't watching Test cricket in those days were you?
    agree that was a good knock ...think he made a better one against windies pre alderman late 80s

• Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Stop acting the fool.

You're trying to tell everyone that he should have gone "years ago", what's years 4, 5 or 6? Certainly not two years is it? He scored a century two years ago. After scoring 25 Test hundreds he earned the right to get a good run. That run now needs to end, before tomorrow.
    I don't know why you have this obsession with England captains getting dropped, you were the same with Strauss and Hussain.
    I think you'll find his record over past 4/5 years has been very substandard
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Stop acting the fool.

I think you'll find his record over past 4/5 years has been very substandard
    Probably 3 years according to these stats

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100

year 2006 13 1013 127 46.04 4
    year 2007 11 923 118 43.95 3
    year 2008 12 758 76 36.09 0
    year 2009 14 960 160 45.71 3
    year 2010 14 1287 235* 58.50 5
    year 2011 8 927 294 84.27 4
    year 2012 15 1249 190 48.03 4
    year 2013 14 916 130 33.92 2
    year 2014 8 390 95 32.50 0
    year 2015 1 24 13 12.00 0

Edit. Not sure what's happening with the formatting. It looks right until I post comment. Anyway. It goes YEAR, MATCHES, RUNS, HIGHEST SCORE, BATTING AVERAGE, 100'S
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Ok three years
  • Options

Ok three years

Sorry, I wasn't digging at you. I just found it interesting to see how far his form has dropped in the last 3 years. Strange how it's all gone so horribly wrong
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Ok three years

Sorry, I wasn't digging at you. I just found it interesting to see how far his form has dropped in the last 3 years. Strange how it's all gone so horribly wrong
    I didnt take it as a dig Chrissy, just accepted your stats were better than my guess. One of the things I notice is that he made a huge score v India in 2011 - I vaguely remember this also being a score where he had broken a lean spell ? We all know that he's going to get bugger all in WI , but then score a ton/near ton in last game when there is nothing at stake. Sounds sad, but I desperately want him to score bugger all v WI and NZ, which would make his position untenable- because I believe England will be stronger without him.