Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Spring 2015 (matches against WI, IRE & NZ)

Comments

• Options
    Joe Root named Test V/C and Eoin Morgan to continue as ODI captain.
  • Options
    In what way is Pietersen a character? Struggling to see it myself.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

In what way is Pietersen a character? Struggling to see it myself.

Oh come on.

He died his hair like a skunk. He died his hair purple.

He slags off his team mates.

He slags off his captain & team mates, by text to the opposition captain and allegedly advised on how to get him out (unproven).
  • Options

lolwray said:

Riviera said:

Old Fiery's thoughts are amusing.

surely thats a beer name ?

Fiery ? .. a nickname given to Fred Trueman that Boycott hijacked when he was trying to make a name for himself .. just as 'the corridor of uncertainty' is a Benaudism nicked by Boycott .. Boycott .. the great 'nicker' .. ((:>)
    Fiery was given to Boycott by Brearley, Willis and Botham.
    The corridor of uncertainty was not nicked from Richie Benaud either.
  • Options

Joe Root named Test V/C and Eoin Morgan to continue as ODI captain.

Ridiculous to give it to Morgan, he is so obviously past his best. Root should have got it to prepare him to take over from Cook after we've lost the Ashes.

• Options
    Strauss has spoken, all a matter of trust. He and the ECB Board do not trust Peiterson and therefore will not have him involved in the Englan team.
    Let that be the end of the matter.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Strauss has spoken

Trying to work out how to construct a Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra joke here. Let it be known I thought about it at least
  • Options
    Also, that 'second division attack' DOES contain an Australian Test bowler...
  • Options
    Riviera said:

lolwray said:

Riviera said:

Fiery ? .. a nickname given to Fred Trueman that Boycott hijacked when he was trying to make a name for himself .. just as 'the corridor of uncertainty' is a Benaudism nicked by Boycott .. Boycott .. the great 'nicker' .. ((:>)
    correct latter saying is Mickey Stewarts

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Wait until we are getting thrashed in the Ashes and Pieterson is scoring centuries all over the place. To fend him off England need to be decent - they definitely are not. If players from a successful team say they don't want him in - I listen - if players from a crap team say the same I say sack the lot of them. Their job is to play cricket - not like the bloke.

And maybe he had a point slagging off his team mates. They are not pulling up any trees without him. Give him the 20-20 job at the very least.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Strauss has spoken, all a matter of trust. He and the ECB Board do not trust Peiterson and therefore will not have him involved in the Englan team.
    Let that be the end of the matter.

agree but as you know that wont stop them !

• Options
    But he won't be scoring centuries all over the place, he never has. He won't be playing anything but 20/20, he's leaving Surrey very soon.
  • Options
    Everyone getting all high and mighty about KP turning down the IPL to push his case for England, in fact this is KP's last 4 day game for Surrey before he goes back to join up with his IPL team before going off to play Twenty20 in the Caribbean.
  • Options

Everyone getting all high and mighty about KP turning down the IPL to push his case for England, in fact this is KP's last 4 day game for Surrey before he goes back to join up with his IPL team before going off to play Twenty20 in the Caribbean.

Indeed as I mentioned on here last night. Surrey had not publicised this at all and Jonathan Agnew forced Alec Stewart to publicly reveal this last night on, 5live. You could hear Stewart's clenched teeth as he admitted the fact.
  • Options
    The bottom line is, England are short of players like Pieterson. As an England fan, I want to see the best players play!
  • Options
    Enjoying KP getting some of his own medicine here.
  • Options
    So let's get this right.

KP signs for Surrey indicating that he has given up his IPL contract and making large of the fact that ALL his Surrey earnings will be going to charity.

And that he wants to be involved in developing English talent. He is offered a position in the England set up to do just that but turns it down.

He then desserts Surrey for the money that the IPL and the Caribbean can offer.

The words mercenary and hypocrite come to mind.
  • Options

1StevieG said:

Thank god they have seen sense and not picked KP.

Where's the 'sense'?
    When KP said he would love to play AGAINST England in a warm up match for an Australian presidents XI before the World Cup ODI pretty much summed him up. Once bitten twice shy in my opinion....
  • Options

The bottom line is, England are short of players like Pieterson. As an England fan, I want to see the best players play!

But who would be dropped for him to play even if he hadn't been a complete egotistical self centered prick?

He won't play at 3 as we want a steady type player in the mould of Trott which Ballance is doing well enough at. Bell won't be dropped, Root definitely won't be dropped then you're into the all rounders and Buttler.

People are also forgetting that in his last 10 or so matches in the test side he was hardly brilliant and/or reliable.

Add to all this that of the people standing up for him is Piers Morgan, pretty much says it all. Thanks for the exciting times KP but it's time to move on, perhaps a little too soon but if you weren't such a prat in the past maybe you would still be playing.
  • Options
    Can't help but feel the ECB are cutting off their nose to spite their face here. The ECB have made it clear they don't like KP as a a person. If the England cricket team were doing really well it wouldn't be an issue but the fact is they are poor & need their best players available. KP is still the best batsmen in this country. People are saying that he hasn't scored a century for 2 years but the truth is, he's pretty much been an exclusive T20 franchise player in that time so it's not a fair assessment at all.

Given an extended run in the team, KP would score runs & potentially win cricket matches for England, which is exactly what they need heading into an ashes summer, regardless of what they think of him as a person!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Can't help but feel the ECB are cutting off their nose to spite their face here. The ECB have made it clear they don't like KP as a a person. If the England cricket team were doing really well it wouldn't be an issue but the fact is they are poor & need their best players available. KP is still the best batsmen in this country. People are saying that he hasn't scored a century for 2 years but the truth is, he's pretty much been an exclusive T20 franchise player in that time so it's not a fair assessment at all.

Given an extended run in the team, KP would score runs & potentially win cricket matches for England, which is exactly what they need heading into an ashes summer, regardless of what they think of him as a person!

Exactly
  • Options
    Riviera said:

lolwray said:

Riviera said:

source?
  • Options

Riviera said:

lolwray said:

Riviera said:

source?
    Merv Hughes/Terry Alderman according to Wiki
  • Options

So let's get this right.

KP signs for Surrey indicating that he has given up his IPL contract and making large of the fact that ALL his Surrey earnings will be going to charity.

And that he wants to be involved in developing English talent. He is offered a position in the England set up to do just that but turns it down.

He then desserts Surrey for the money that the IPL and the Caribbean can offer.

The words mercenary and hypocrite come to mind.

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

Thank god they have seen sense and not picked KP.

Where's the 'sense'?
    When KP said he would love to play AGAINST England in a warm up match for an Australian presidents XI before the World Cup ODI pretty much summed him up. Once bitten twice shy in my opinion....
    What a character !
  • Options

Riviera said:

lolwray said:

Riviera said:

source?
    Merv Hughes/Terry Alderman according to Wiki
    this is about 15/20 years after Trueman, who was one of Boycott's heroes was given the 'fiery' nickname .. like it or not, 'orrible Boycott nicked the name and the corridor spiel from other people .. and I don't give a hoot what wiki, Willis, Brearley, Alderman or any Otherman says .. OK ? ..
  • Options
    edited May 2015
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Can't see many changes for the NZ tests.. Lyth for Trott .. and that is about it .. I'd like to see Plunkett for Jordan and a real spinner for Ali .. but for the life of me, I just can't think who .. how about a fourth seamer and leaving the spinning to Root ? .. Vaughan's team won the Ashes with non-spinner Giles and four decent pace bowlers .. can we do the same nowadays ?
  • Options
    Let's forget Peterson and move on. His batting average for last few years is well below that for Bell, Root and Ballance. Leaving one of them out would not make sense as a batsman let alone the twat factor.
  • Options
    redman said:

Let's forget Peterson and move on. His batting average for last few years is well below that for Bell, Root and Ballance. Leaving one of them out would not make sense as a batsman let alone the twat factor.

We're not saying that any of the 3 you mention should be dropped. KP can be accommodated with them all. Certainly, without looking at the stats, i know that KP was second behind Bell (who had an incredible series)in the last Ashes here and was top run scorer in the abysmal series last up in Oz. Jeez, how many more stats do you need to try to discredit the man ??!! What is it in this country that we have to villify the guy with talent .
  • Options

redman said:

We're not saying that any of the 3 you mention should be dropped. KP can be accommodated with them all. Certainly, without looking at the stats, i know that KP was second behind Bell (who had an incredible series)in the last Ashes here and was top run scorer in the abysmal series last up in Oz. Jeez, how many more stats do you need to try to discredit the man ??!! What is it in this country that we have to villify the guy with talent .
    Vilify the guy with talent? Really? Who's vilified Anderson or Root, for example. Nothing to do with his talent, all to do with his personality, words, and actions.