Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Spring 2015 (matches against WI, IRE & NZ)

Comments

• First Ali ball review by NZ for LBW for a ball that doesn't hit the pads but the back of his bat.

No reviews left for NZ now.
  • I may have been a tad optimistic...
  • MrOneLung said:

I may have been a tad optimistic...

I think I might have been a tad pessimistic......
  • MrOneLung said:

In fact, I think you might have been pessimistic too ;-)

333-6 with six overs of the day still to come.
  • MrOneLung said:

In fact, I think you might have been pessimistic too ;-)

333-6 with six overs of the day still to come.
    TRIPLE NELSOOOOOON!
  • Last bowl of the day and Buttler is given out LBW. Reviewed but to no avail.

354-7 at close

Buttler 67
    Moeen Ali 49*

I think we would all have settled for that at the start of the day let alone from the position of being 30-4.

So well done England. A great fightback.
  • Great fightback. Well done Ben,Joe and Jos (strange how its first name terms now!).
  • watching highlights - impressed with Henry - think NZ could have quite a pace attack with Boult,McClenaghan and Henry.
  • Also like the IV cards - only at Lords !
  • Bring in Pieterson,Hales a decent captain and we have the makings of a decent team. of course we won't. The people who know how to run our game don't
  • Sponsored links:

• Bring in Pieterson,Hales a decent captain and we have the makings of a decent team. of course we won't. The people who know how to run our game don't

tbh, the more i think about it, the more i think that a life without KP is better for England now they've made their decision - what we are short of is a couple of quicks - preferably one of them a lefty.
  • Shame for Stokes - bowled by the spinner Craig for 92 (94)

191-5 and Jos Buttler in ahead of Ali.

Was Ali stranded in the nets again?
    It seems that they want to give Stokes a run in the top six and Ali to concentrate on his off spin. Also makes sense for Buttler to go in ahead of Ali because, as I've said before, he's been stranded without partners in too many of innings.
    It does seem a bit odd that Ali has gone from batsman and part time spinner, to dropping down the order to concentrate on his bowling. The way Stokes, Buttler and Ali batted, it's not obvious which order they should bat in!
  • I think that any of the three could bat at 6.
  • Strauss came over well on interview.
  • Shame for Stokes - bowled by the spinner Craig for 92 (94)

191-5 and Jos Buttler in ahead of Ali.

Was Ali stranded in the nets again?
    It seems that they want to give Stokes a run in the top six and Ali to concentrate on his off spin. Also makes sense for Buttler to go in ahead of Ali because, as I've said before, he's been stranded without partners in too many of innings.
    It does seem a bit odd that Ali has gone from batsman and part time spinner, to dropping down the order to concentrate on his bowling. The way Stokes, Buttler and Ali batted, it's not obvious which order they should bat in!
    As discussed at the end of play on SS competition for batting places is no bad thing. It also means that there can be more flexibility according to form and match situation.

Too often in the past we have been stuck with limited alternatives. We now have that in the middle to late order but, if anything, the issue so far as the batting is concerned is at the top. I've said numerous times before that the likes of Trott/Carbery/Compton/Strauss/Cook/Ballance/Lyth etc etc occupying the top order is old hat.

It's almost as if we now have to lose two or three wickets in order to take the game to the opposition and we need to do something to break those type of players up. Which is where the flexibility at the top comes in. Bring in Hales to open with Cook. Cook gets out then send in Ballance. Hales gets out then Root is promoted to three. Then if Cook or Ballance gets out, in goes Bell. If it's Hales/Root then Stokes is in.

It's not rocket science. We have been far too rigid in our thinking and attitude to batting and that needs to change. It will also leave the opposition guessing rather than them being able to set their field before even the next batsman in has left the dressing room.
  • I'm going to Warwickshire vs Worchestershire or something tomorrow at 6. A group of us got free tickets because we're mates with a girl who is shagging one of the players.

I don't know the rules of cricket or anything but im basically going for the piss up.

Thought i'd let you all know

I'm just trying to work out here who is using who. Is it the player because he's getting his end away? Is it the girl because she's "with" a professional sportsmen? Or is it the group with the free tickets? Or is it just a case of mutual gratification?

The player wouldn't happen to be Laurie Evans would it?
  • Is she fit?
  • good come back from england after the usual wobble.

anybody think boult the new zealand bowler looks like a young matt holland?
  • good come back from england after the usual wobble.

anybody think boult the new zealand bowler looks like a young matt holland?

Yes. I've always thought that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Broad in at 9. His last eight scores have been 10, 0, 0, 0, 18, 9, 0* and 4.

Wood had scored 5, 44* & 66 in his last three innings.

Now Broady go and prove me wrong.
  • Ali gone caught behind for 58.

363-8
  • Is 400 asking too much?
  • Top four scored 25 in total. Next four totaled 315. Should switch them round for the second innings.

Well I really don't think there's any point Broad doing what he is at the moment which is just thinking of surviving. He might just as well go out in a blaze of glory especially as NZ have such an attacking field.

Well I really don't think there's any point Broad doing what he is at the moment which is just thinking of surviving. He might just as well go out in a blaze of glory especially as NZ have such an attacking field.
    And there you go. He's been looking to get inside the ball all innings and eventually nicks it. Out for 3.

368-9

• The one whose place in the order is simply plain wrong is Broad, should be 11
  • 389 all out

Anderson caught and bowled for 11. Wood 8*.
  • Wood looks a useful bowler.
  • First Test Wicket to Wood is not out - front foot no ball.

Ridiculous that bowlers leave it that close.