Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Spring 2015 (matches against WI, IRE & NZ)

Comments

• Options
    New Zealand's fielding showed us up in this mini series. The Kiwis were as good as we were bad.
  • Options
    Well done New Zealand. I wish we were playing a decider against these guys!
  • Options
    Well done NZ, deserved that win.

I won't be too harsh after that defeat, fair play for NZ taking the game to us and trying to force a result as they did. Although, the whole match seemed to hinge on a couple of key sessions. Most notably the Saturday morning when we couldn't bowl them out, our middle order collapse on Sunday. Had we had any sort of a lead I think it would have been a different outcome. But hey ho, two very enjoyable test matches. I fear we probably won't see another win in any format for a while though.
  • Options
    A drawn series a fair result. England were very good in the 1st test, New Zealand were brilliant in the 2nd. It's a shame it's only a 2 test series as both games were great
  • Options
    I'm actually quite looking forward to the ODI series. I think we'll see a completely different England 1 day setup full of young, powerful exciting cricketers.

Does Bayliss take over for the ODI 'S or not until the ashes?
  • Options
    ODI squad announced:
    England one-day squad Eoin Morgan (capt), Jos Buttler (wkt), Sam Billings (wkt), Steven Finn, Alex Hales, Chris Jordan, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, James Taylor, David Willey, Mark Wood
  • Options
    Ok. What line up would you like from that lot?
  • Options
    Hales, Roy, Taylor, Root, Morgan,Buttler/Billings, Stokes, Rashid, Wood, Plunkett, Finn
  • Options
    Pity Morgan had to be picked!
  • Options
    No Bell, no Broad, no Anderson. The top six and the wicketkeeper are pretty much set in stone and it's just about deciding their batting order. I'd personally have Stokes in at three where he can play his natural game as he has in the summer's test matches. That in turn pushes Morgan down to six and takes some pressure off of his batting and he can focus on being our "finisher".

The bowling is where it's a mixed bag and gets interesting. I really rate David Willey in the shorter forms of cricket. Bowls left arm and can definitely bat (60* in the t20 final two years ago being a highlight). Rashid gets into the team as our spinning option while from what I've seen of Wood, himself and Finn will be somewhat similar. Jordan gets the nod for his ability in the field as well as adding variety to the bowling attack.

Hales, Roy, Stokes, Root, Taylor, Morgan, Buttler, Willey, Jordan, Rashid, Wood/Finn

Billings, Plunkett, Wood/Finn
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    *Ashes watch*

West Indies currently 92-6 on the 1st day of the 1st test against Australia!
  • Options

*Ashes watch*

144/8 now... Adam Voges making his Test debut at 35!
  • Options

*Ashes watch*

144/8 now... Adam Voges making his Test debut at 35!
    just goes to show that it's never too late .. the Aussies have a penchant (nice Oz word) for picking mature batsmen .. they usually have the luxury of keeping the top 6 intact for a few years as they historically are all really good players, so when replacements are needed, the new man is often very very experienced and battle hardened in the Sheffield Shield
  • Options
    FYI , as this thread only encompassed games up to and including NZ, and also coz the Ozzies are playing warm-up in WI , I'm gonna create a New Thread called The Ashes later today to continue the summer theme.
  • Options

FYI , as this thread only encompassed games up to and including NZ, and also coz the Ozzies are playing warm-up in WI , I'm gonna create a New Thread called The Ashes later today to continue the summer theme.

Ok Paulie :smile:
  • Options
    Surely after the One Dayers are finished?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Surely after the One Dayers are finished?

Still comment re the one-dayers on this thread, but thought coz Oz are playing their Tests v Windies, there will likely be some comments/views on OZ to talk about.
  • Options
    First ODI against New Zealand is tomorrow at Edgbaston. Will be interesting to see what team is picked.
    9 June:
    1st ODI ~ England vs. New Zealand D/N
    Edgbaston, Birmingham

12 June:
    2nd ODI ~ England vs. New Zealand D/N
    Kennington Oval, London

14 June:
    3rd ODI ~ England vs. New Zealand
    The Rose Bowl, Southampton

17 June:
    4th ODI ~ England vs. New Zealand D/N
    Trent Bridge, Nottingham

20 June:
    5th ODI ~ England vs. New Zealand
    Riverside Ground, Chester-le-Street

23 June:
    1st T20 ~ England vs. New Zealand D/N
    Old Trafford, Manchester
  • Options
    I reckon it will be something like this.
    Hales, Roy, Taylor, Morgan, Root, Stokes, Butler, Rashid, Jordan, Wood, Finn
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From that squad, I'd play: Hales, Roy, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Rashid, Willey, Plunkett, Finn/Jordan, Wood.

I think Taylor is mighty unlucky if he doesn't play, mind you
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

From that squad, I'd play: Hales, Roy, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Rashid, Willey, Plunkett, Finn/Jordan, Wood.

I think Taylor is mighty unlucky if he doesn't play, mind you

The tail is miles too long you need another batsman.

• Options
    Get Rashid in to see how he copes bowling in 'the big time' .. I suspect that the Kiwis will rip into him and he'll go for lots .. at least it will clarify his ashes prospects, even though this is a one day game ... Morgan needs to turn up otherwise what is the point of him in the team and the great potential of Hales, Roy and Billings needs to come to the fore .. I would have Buttler as a batsman, Billings as the WK .. either way, get them both in
  • Options
    NZ won the toss & England to bat first.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Hales, Roy, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Billings, Rashid, Jordan, Plunkett, Finn.

0-1

Roy C Guptill b Boult 0 1st ball.
  • Options
    You really have to feel for Roy.
  • Options
    I really love the way, whatever the type of match, Joe Root takes the game to the opposition.

• Options
    Hales isn't so bad at it either!

16-1 off two overs

Hales 11* (7)
    Root 5* (4)
  • Options
    Stokes and Root as fifth bowler? ffs
  • Options
    Some wonderful proper cricket shots being played by both. Not a slog in sight!

32-1 off 4

Hales 12* (9)
    Root 20* (14)