Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Spring 2015 (matches against WI, IRE & NZ)

Comments

• Options
    At test level – there are certain tracks like in the last test against New Zealand, where as the commentators said, there is a ball with your name on it. The traditional English batsman plays his cagey game and eventually gets out adding not many runs. The New Zealand batsman has a go at the bowler and scores as many runs as he can before that ball comes. But because the bowler is a bit intimidated, it is less likely to come. Big hitters are the future in all forms of the game.
  • Options

Edgbaston is definately the best cricket ground ive ever been to for atmosphere - they really get vocal, and its more like a football crowd than cricket.

That's what I think, which is why we're going up there for The Ashes Test.
    Yes, there's a great atmosphere there, especially from the Eric Hollies!
    Eric Hollies is brilliant.
  • Options
    we've had these new dawns before, only to shoot ourselves in the foot, in a way only england can. let's wait until we've won the series before crowing.
  • Options

Edgbaston is definately the best cricket ground ive ever been to for atmosphere - they really get vocal, and its more like a football crowd than cricket.

That's what I think, which is why we're going up there for The Ashes Test.
    Yes, there's a great atmosphere there, especially from the Eric Hollies!
    He cost Bradman his three figure Test average.
  • Options

we've had these new dawns before, only to shoot ourselves in the foot, in a way only england can. let's wait until we've won the series before crowing.

I don't think anyone's "crowing". It's just that, win or lose, there is a realisation that we are finally playing the players capable of entertaining and giving us a chance of posting decent totals.
  • Options
    Agree with AA, the realisation that we are going to go and go hard is refreshing and exciting. I fully expect us to be skittled for 150 now and again, but if it means we get the occasional 400 then I am all for it.
  • Options
    I won't mind as long as it feels as if we are on the right path - which in terms of the one day side, it now does.
  • Options
    The annoying thing is that this isn't rocket science, it's how the other teams have been playing in ODIs for years, and yet we had to waste yet another World Cup before it finally dawned on the England management
  • Options
    The Sri Lankans were pretty much doing this back in 96 world cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On a sadder note, Matt Prior, at a relatively young age of 33, has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket as a result of not being able to recover from the achilles injury sustained last year.

He leaves with the highest Test average of any England keeper to achieve 100 dismissals. I suspect that the current incumbent might just surpass that ;-)
  • Options

On a sadder note, Matt Prior, at a relatively young age of 33, has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket as a result of not being able to recover from the achilles injury sustained last year.

He leaves with the highest Test average of any England keeper to achieve 100 dismissals. I suspect that the current incumbent might just surpass that ;-)

What with Kieswetter retiring a few days ago, there's been quite a thinning out of England keepers
  • Options

What with Kieswetter retiring a few days ago, there's been quite a thinning out of England keepers
    Still quite a few out there, and with Billings coming through too.
  • Options
    Buttler and Billings are the future.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

I think Buttler's making quite a good case that he's the one for right now.

• Options

That's not to say that Buttler (or Billings for that matter) won't play as a batsman alone. Certainly, as we've seen in this last ODI, there is room for two (or more) keepers.

As long as they are batsmen first and foremost. And that is the case in the modern game because any County player who isn't capable of batting in the top six simply won't play. The likes of a modern day Bob Taylor wouldn't even get a trial in a county set up.
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited June 2015
    Buttler, Bairstow (in amazing form in Div 1) and possibly Foakes are going to be in charge of the gloves at test level for a good while yet.
  • Options

Yeah absolutely but at 24/25 he still has many years left in his career.
  • Options

That's not to say that Buttler (or Billings for that matter) won't play as a batsman alone. Certainly, as we've seen in this last ODI, there is room for two (or more) keepers.

As long as they are batsmen first and foremost. And that is the case in the modern game because any County player who isn't capable of batting in the top six simply won't play. The likes of a modern day Bob Taylor wouldn't even get a trial in a county set up.
    And as if to illustrate the point, Surrey in their most recent CC match had no less than five keepers in their team - Wilson, Burns, Foakes, Sangakkara and Davies albeit that the last named has now permanently given up the gloves.
  • Options
    Dont forget Seb !!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's looking like tomorrow's game will be ruined by storms.

They would be better off starting a 20/20 game and getting a result. Not that this would ever happen.
  • Options

It's looking like tomorrow's game will be ruined by storms.

They would be better off starting a 20/20 game and getting a result. Not that this would ever happen.

I've got tickets for tomorrow and really looking forward to it. The latest forecast from the met office says that the rain won't hit till after 8pm so, as long as that doesn't change, I'm confident that we'll see enough cricket to see a result using the DL method
  • Options
    I hope you're right. A number of forecasts are saying the rain could come as early as 4pm. Hope you have a good day.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;ct=15656~Kennington;sess=#forecast
  • Options

I hope you're right. A number of forecasts are saying the rain could come as early as 4pm. Hope you have a good day.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;ct=15656~Kennington;sess=#forecast

Thanks. I'd prefer to believe this 1:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/forecast/gcpuv78se

we'll see :smile:
  • Options
    So looking forward to tomorrow - lets hope its a good game. Finishing work at 12, so will be home by 1 to see the start, and get the beers in to watch the whole game hopefully. Curry delivery in order methinks !
  • Options
    I just had a look & there are plenty of tickets left.
    I could go, but I know it will **** down, if I do.
  • Options

Thats odd, normally The Oval is sold out a long time before for ODI's and T20's.
  • Options

Thats odd, normally The Oval is sold out a long time before for ODI's and T20's.
    Our world cup performance i would suggest...
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Our world cup performance i would suggest...
    Yeah likely, but always thought Oval was full of prawn sandwiches who 1) wouldnt even watch the game and 2) wouldnt even know there was a cricket world cup this year.
  • Options

How much are the tickets? I was thinking about going down to St Lawrence Ground for Kent vs Hampshire but if there's still ODI tickets going, a trip up to London is tempting.