Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Job interview this afternoon... is it possible to be overdressed?

Comments

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Pedro45 said:

Make sure your tie is done up properly! Be confident, but not arrogant. Be prepared. Smile!

Windsor knot - it's the only way.
    Double Windsor is in fact much more professional!
  • Options
    I like the trinity knot.
  • Options
    Wear a suit.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Nothing to add to the advice already given, but best of luck!
  • Options
    good luck Callum

wear the jacket if you havent got a suit... but suit is better

wear the belt

shined shoes and dark socks

if you have any tatoos cover them up

if you have any visible piercings take them out
  • Options
    Good luck Callum.
  • Options
    best of luck

wear the jacket and if the trousers have belt loops then wear one (preferably one same colour as your shoes)
  • Options
    Thank you all. Have a black belt to match my shoes so will be wearing them both. :-)

Found out the jacket didn't quite match the trousers..... luckily my brother has let me nick his suit for the afternoon (and it fits)!
  • Options
    good luck - don't be late. blaming Charlton Life won't wash !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    go as Bob Marley.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Pedro45 said:

Make sure your tie is done up properly! Be confident, but not arrogant. Be prepared. Smile!

Windsor knot - it's the only way.
    Double Windsor is in fact much more professional!
    Isn't that the same knot but different name? Also known as the Full Windsor?
    On a lighter note - you can be underdressed. I once interviewed, for a graduate trainee post, a girl in a very short skirt. At the end she bent down to pick up her backpack and it became immediately obvious that she wasn't wearing knickers. She didn't get the job. (Nice arse though!)
  • Options
    and turn your phone off.
  • Options
    IA said:

Don't wear white tie

Important life advice not just interview advice.
  • Options

good luck - don't be late. blaming Charlton Life won't wash !!

but do wash !

good luck

• Options

and turn your phone off.

That's an important piece of advice. Or at least turn it in silent mode.

Best of luck Callum!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a feeling you will be fine Callum. Prep is key and you appear to have prepared well, any good interviewer will spot this. Good luck
  • Options
    Great idea, thanks Chizz. Will get onto that asap.
  • Options
    Good advice from Chizz there, nothing to lose from a quick email saying "thanks and can I add that ......"
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Thanks everyone. Think, or maybe hope, I impressed them with the suit (everyone working in store was in a hoody!!) and my enthusiasm but I've a feeling that nerves got the better of me during questions I hadn't anticipated and will ultimately cost me.

Hey ho, I find out in the next couple of days. Just hoping they saw potential in me!

Callum, here's one final, timely bit of advice. If you think that anything you said in the interview might not properly have conveyed what you think, you have one, final chance to rectify it. If you really want the job (and I think you do), write to them. Thank them for their time. And take the opportunity to say whatever it was that you might have left hanging or not conveyed because of nerves.

it doesn't have to be a printed, signed letter; you could email instead. But, when they come to sift through applications an interview feedback, who is the one that will really stick out? It's the guy that took the trouble to send a "thank you" and to remind them of the one thing he wasn't able to say in the interview.

Go for it. Do it now - and best of luck.
    Great advice
  • Options
    congratulation Callum
  • Options
    Missed this earlier. Congratulations Callum, very well done! Good luck tomorrow and in your career ahead.