Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do You Tip?

Listening to the radio on the way home tonight , they were having a discussion about 'tipping' how women tip more than men when eating out / having their hair done etc etc, just wondered what fellow lifers did?

I know my son opens the front door, grabs a pizza and slams the door without a second thought of giving the delivery driver anything, i berate him for it , but he says 'Dad , he 's just doing his job'.

For me it depends on what kind of mood i'm in and how friendly the person helping me is.

Comments

• Options
    Never tip a delivery man...Never have done.

I tip in restaurants and my barber.
  • Options
    normally tip takeaway drivers a quid, barber a couple of quid and tip taxi drivers and restaurant staff between 10 and 15%. The rest can do one.
  • Options

Listening to the radio on the way home tonight , they were having a discussion about 'tipping' how women tip more than men when eating out / having their hair done etc etc, just wondered what fellow lifers did?

I know my son opens the front door, grabs a pizza and slams the door without a second thought of giving the delivery driver anything, i berate him for it , but he says 'Dad , he 's just doing his job'.

For me it depends on what kind of mood i'm in and how friendly the person helping me is.

Have to say I agree with your son

Does a train driver get a tip for driving a train ?
    Does a receptionist get a tip for answering the phone?
    Does a builder get a tip for putting up a wall?
    Does a sales assistant get a tip for putting things on shelves?

So why should a delivery driver or a waiter or a taxi driver get a tip for doing there job description
  • Options
    Restaurants, Taxis and Barbers.
  • Options

So why should a delivery driver or a waiter or a taxi driver get a tip for doing there job description
    Restaurant staff including chefs have a portion of their salary stated as 'tronc' which is the tips collected and divided between all workers. So it's actually important to tip in restaurants especially in London.
  • Options
    Tip my barber. If a restaurant takes the liberty of including a service charge automatically, as most seem to these days, they get nothing on top of that. If there isn't a service charge I'll usually be generous.
  • Options
    I wrote a treatise on tipping several years ago - it's a relatively light read in case anyone is interested:

http://newyorkaddick.blogspot.co.uk/2006/08/tipped-over-edge.html?m=1
  • Options

Restaurant staff including chefs have a portion of their salary stated as 'tronc' which is the tips collected and divided between all workers. So it's actually important to tip in restaurants especially in London.
    Still paid a salary which meets NMW there are plenty of people out there paid NMW and don't get tips, when they have done what is in their job description same as waiters and chefs, so why are waiters better than the average Joe, why do they deserve a tip.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Of course

Always give the blackjack dealer a few chips.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Restaurants, Taxis and Barbers.

This.

10%, £1, £1
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Of course

Always give the blackjack dealer a few chips.

Are they the crispy ones in the bottom of the bowl
  • Options
    I always give waiters tips on how to improve their service.
  • Options

Still paid a salary which meets NMW there are plenty of people out there paid NMW and don't get tips, when they have done what is in their job description same as waiters and chefs, so why are waiters better than the average Joe, why do they deserve a tip.
    A good or bad waiter can make or break a night out but I get your point about taxi drivers, they are hardly hard done by. ( I always seem to get a West Ham one who can bore for England)
  • Options
    I think you have to be extremely mean not to tip in a restaurant. Like was said, they are low paid and at times the tips are used to make up the staff wages. I think in USA they expect 20% but UK it's 10-15%. Anything less and you are just a common cheapskate, trying to rip off some of the lowest earners in society.

Takeaway delivery usually give a couple of quid yet I don't tip the shopping delivery people.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I tend to refuse to pay the optional service charge that restaurants place on a bill and instead leave a cash tip for the waiter if the service is good. I dont think the service charge normally goes to the staff and is often retained by the restaurant. I dont like it when they leave a a space on the credit card machine for tips.

I always tip pizza/ curry delivery drivers / barbers a couple of quid, and the same to cabbies- dont tip anyone else such as bin men.
  • Options
    for me a haircut should cost £20, if i go to a place that charge less than £20 they can keep the change. No matter how much it is.

taxi drivers i tip, waiting staff i definitely tip. Apart from that, sorry.
  • Options
    Take away deliveries - always. (But it's never occurred to me to tip an Ocado delivery).

Always round up the cost of a hair cut.

Always tip - more generously in a restaurant that I know I will want to return to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I Always tip 10% in a restaurant unless they include a service charge then they get nothing. Cheeky fuckers! !
  • Options
    Agree about not tipping when a restaurant puts a service charge on the bill.
  • Options
    I sometimes take off the service charge and give the waiter a cash tip.
  • Options
    Entirely depends. If a takeaway delivery is early they get a couple of quid extra. If a waiter or waitress looks after me they get a few quid 10% seems fair but often a fiver or tenner however the exact amount will be left for crappness and a vow never to return

Barber gets the change so normally a quid but cabbies can be cunts. I'll tip depending on them. Bulgarian who needs to ask directions gets nowt.

Binmen used to get a tip or a box of chocolates but the messy bastards have pissed me off lately and been making more mess than they clear. And lost my wheelie bin. Twunts
  • Options
    Restaurants 10% unless they've been particularly good or bad.

And yeah the Service Charge thing annoys me - don't assume!

Taxi drivers, barbers I'd round up.

Same with delivery drivers but if I'd paid online first etc I'd not bother.

• Options

Can you not see the clear difference between taxi/pizza/barber and receptionist/sales assistant etc ?

If not then I can't be bothered to get into a debate about it, it just demonstrates the difference between our standards.
  • Options
    Oh and bar staff. Shirty ones don't get a drink bought for them, friendly ones that remember which place in the queue I am or very attractive girls always are offered a drink for themselves
  • Options
    Like in the Oak?
  • Options
    In the restaurant i will always make them take the service charge off my bill if it is discretionary which most of the time it is .

I will tip on according to service - I also like to know the tip goes in their pocket - always Feel that if you include when you pay by card the waiters/ waitress won't see it ... So always do cash tip.

My barber gets a £1 .00

Taxi or mini cab depends on their attitude

Always always tip the strippers and the dancers at hooters