Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do You Tip?

Comments

• Options
    I try to tip as much as I can. Waiters/waitresses usually do pretty well out out of me, cabbies I round up and of course the Ocado driver gets tipped. Don't have take aways that much these days, but would always tip the driver £1 in days gone by.
  • Options
    Barber gets a quid from each of me and my two littlun's ( four year old loves saying and a quid for yerself as he hand over a tenner).

Restaurant around ten percent but nothing if there is a service charge. Always think you judge the waiter bit should be the chef you are judging really. Do you tip if good service but food a bit meh?

Quid for cabbies and round up for fast food delivery.

When in America it drives me mad.
    The barman getting a dollar each time, should easily serve 15 an hour. That's minimum 20 dollars an hour they are getting.

But the one that pisses me off is the taxi queue man. Stands there, asks you were you are going, tells the driver and opens the door for you. You ain't getting my money sunshine.

And finally when you get thru arrivals at a foreign airport and are swarmed on by the locals.
  • Options

for me a haircut should cost £20, if i go to a place that charge less than £20 they can keep the change. No matter how much it is.

taxi drivers i tip, waiting staff i definitely tip. Apart from that, sorry.

• Options
    Do you tip?

No both my legs are the same length...

Boom!
  • Options
    Worked in restaurants for a few years. You don't tend to have regular hours, you don't really get breaks (although it gets taken off you anyway, like many jobs I imagine), you are quite often literally running around a restaurant all day. Sunday and bank holidays were the worst as they would short staff themselves to save on labour, and the restaurant would get as busy as a Friday/Saturday, so you would have about 15 tables to yourself (If you have ever tried this, it is very hard to keep 50 people happy at once!)

We were made to put service charge on large groups, which you never want to do, as people see a huge add-on to their bill at the end, which if divided amongst everyone is not much, and they don't want to feel like they are forced to pay it. Plus if they do pay it, you won't see half of it as it disappears by the time it gets to your paycheck. The best result would be if people paid cash but slightly underpaid it so you could keep it all. Although saying this I have tried to do this for other waiters in other restaurants and they come and ask for the rest of it (firstly rude to ask for a tip! secondly maybe the system is different).

My ex worked in Wagamama and they used to pool tips, and then divide it up on an hourly basis. The managers got a share of this, so they would send workers home at quieter periods in order to get a greater share of the tips. Something that also happened at Prezzo. Also led to her often getting about 20 hours a week on a full time contract, which was awful money considering she had to be available 7 days a week to work.

I think it is a bad system in many ways, for example it'd be great if everyone got paid the living wage and didn't have to worry about getting tips to make ends meet. At the same time I worked my ass off and gave great service in order to get a couple of extra quid a table. Without that monetary incentive most waiters would not go the extra mile for you. Much like how people working for commission will push harder to sell than if it didn't make a difference to their wages what they sold.

I still think people should work hard for their tips, if I get crap service I won't tip, but when I do I tip well as I know what a difference it made to me.

Tip taxis a fair bit these days too if they have a chat/give me good information.
  • Options
    I'm a tight arse. I never tip.
  • Options
    I hate it when restaurants add on a service charge and then when you go to pay by credit card it asks you what percentage you want to tip. Not only is that outrageous but paying a tip percentage on a service charge is a robbery.

I have seen restaurants print on the bill that all tips go to staff. I wish it was mandatory to indicate whether tips/service charges went to the staff or not.
  • Options
    One that annoys me is in some pubs where you get your change on a tray, think they expect a tip but as I've walked to the bar myself I just take all the change.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I tip, and if I get better service I tip more. I also ask to have the service charge taken off bills (though that never happens over here)and then give the same amount in cash. I know how much local taxis should be - if they charge the correct price they get a decent tip, if they try and rip me off, they don't - it usually means they end up out of pocket if they take the piss.

I used to tip my barber (even though it was his business and he did very nicely thank you) as he was a very nice bloke, and we became friends over the years. Missus cuts my hair now, (can you tell...) so I make her a cup of coffee instead.

Many years ago returning from a holiday over here my wife was recovering from a major op, so couldn't even pull along her suitcase. I struggled to get to the taxi rank at Liverpool street and the driver watched while I put the cases in the cab. The meter then ticked over before we had even left the bloody station, and when we got to London Bridge he watched as I struggled with the suitcases again. It was about a fiver for a two minute journey. Needless to say, he didn't get a tip...

I tip the pizza delivery man. If I run a tab in a bar (as you do over here) I always give the barman a euro at the end of the night.
  • Options
    Always tip black cabs not mini cabs unless the driver is polite, helpful and not a miserable bstd

Barber standard to tip always a
    Fiver

Restaurants always 10-15% of Bill as Long as the service provided by the waiter or waitress has either allowed it to be an adequate at least meal, if it's been a good meal they get 20% and I never add to bill I give over money,
  • Options
    Try to tip everyone, that's why I'm always skinto
  • Options
    My hair dresser has a good scheme of charging £19.50 and only accepting cash. People pretty much always say keep the 50p. Good way of manipulating it so you get tips!
  • Options
    I have never heard of tipping the barber but it seems everyone does it. Are all of you getting more time consuming haircuts because I just pick a number.

I usually tip in restaurants and taxis based on service. I would tip delivery people but I never get it delivered. I've been told to tip bar staff but I'm struggling with that one.

Hate countries where tips are a big part of income. The over the top service gets annoying.
  • Options
    It depends entirely upon the service I receive. For good service I give money, for bad service I give a bollocking.
  • Options
    if I had a takeaway delivered I'd tip cause I've been there
    never get a cab/taxi
    only tip in restaurants for exceptional service
    my barber get's a quid, I mean a number two ain't hard
    in general don't really agree with tipping
  • Options
    Just the odd mattress and an old TV every now and then
  • Options
    Few years back, we had an American barmaid in my local. As usual in English pubs, punters come up to the bar and order their drinks, food etc. One day, a big group of Yank tourists walk in and sit down, expecting someone to come over to take their order. All the other bar staff were studiously ignoring them but the American girl was straight over there, doing table service for the whole time the group was in there, knowing that the yanks expect that and also that they tip accordingly. Made about £30 in tips!
  • Options
    I don't like table service in pubs or bars. If the bar is busy and you haven't weighed out in advance you wait for fucking ages for a beer. If it isn't it's a wasted principle
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I will never tip a black cab driver. I know they are part of London, black cabs are iconic etc etc but at the end of the day they charge extortionate rates, often take the long way and the amount of times I've sat down only to hear driver after driver spout racist shite is unreal.

Uber all the way!
  • Options
    Tipped the Barber £1 on the Weekend...

Usually I'll have a discussion with my partner to see if we believe that the waiter should be tipped when we go out for a meal, if we find them annoying and dont leave us alone then we dont bother... If the waiter / waitress is polite / funny / keeps you updated in terms of where the meal is and then leaves us alone to eat then they'd get a tip
  • Options
    I work for a local council (no pay rise!) and, therefore, also in the evenings as a take away delivery driver.

Roads are often dangerous (snow, rain, ice). We drivers all get the food more quickly and fresher to addresses that are know to tip. They also get free extras thrown in too. We often take 2-3 deliveries at a time and the order depends on likelihood of a tip.

It only takes 1-2 quid per delivery.
  • Options
    O an delivery drivers get paid minimum wages and petrol. No expenses for wear and tear on the car. The tips pay for car repairs and phone-calls to customer who don't open the door, or who live in herd to find homes.
  • Options
    I always tip BTW!
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

I work for a local council (no pay rise!) and, therefore, also in the evenings as a take away delivery driver.

Roads are often dangerous (snow, rain, ice). We drivers all get the food more quickly and fresher to addresses that are know to tip. They also get free extras thrown in too. We often take 2-3 deliveries at a time and the order depends on likelihood of a tip.

You're working for the wrong company... My mate works for a Pizza company and gets £14ph plus fuel!
  • Options
    Happy to tip for good service but strongly object to service charges. Allways cash as I reckon better chance the person providing the good service benefits.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

fattmatt said:

You're working for the wrong company... My mate works for a Pizza company and gets £14ph plus fuel!
    Which company? I'll apply!

I make that per hour if the tips are good!
  • Options
    if the service is good .. I tip .. if it's bad or indifferent, I don't .. I spend far too much time in hotel rooms and always leave a tip for the chambermaids, who almost always do a good job for low wages and usually slip me a few extra coffee sachets if I ask them nicely ((:>) .. the lower paid I perceive the service provider to be, the more I tip if appropriate