Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do You Tip?

Comments

• Options
    I tip 10% in restaurants unless service is particularly poor, then will tip less (long wait, mistakes etc…). I was a bit annoyed at Christmas do when we paid for meal and gave a decent tip and found service was charged in small print on bill afterwards.
  • Options

the Missus cuts my hair now

So I give her my tip.
  • Options

Listening to the radio on the way home tonight , they were having a discussion about 'tipping' how women tip more than men when eating out / having their hair done etc etc, just wondered what fellow lifers did?

I know my son opens the front door, grabs a pizza and slams the door without a second thought of giving the delivery driver anything, i berate him for it , but he says 'Dad , he 's just doing his job'.

For me it depends on what kind of mood i'm in and how friendly the person helping me is.

Have to say I agree with your son

Does a train driver get a tip for driving a train ?
    Does a receptionist get a tip for answering the phone?
    Does a builder get a tip for putting up a wall?
    Does a sales assistant get a tip for putting things on shelves?

So why should a delivery driver or a waiter or a taxi driver get a tip for doing there job description
    I can 100% cast iron guarantee that when I go back to restaurants I'm a regular in, I get a better service than you do.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Listening to the radio on the way home tonight , they were having a discussion about 'tipping' how women tip more than men when eating out / having their hair done etc etc, just wondered what fellow lifers did?

I know my son opens the front door, grabs a pizza and slams the door without a second thought of giving the delivery driver anything, i berate him for it , but he says 'Dad , he 's just doing his job'.

For me it depends on what kind of mood i'm in and how friendly the person helping me is.

So why should a delivery driver or a waiter or a taxi driver get a tip for doing there job description
    I can 100% cast iron guarantee that when I go back to restaurants I'm a regular in, I get a better service than you do.
    The occupations above don't have face-to-face contact, to the same degree, where first class personal service becomes important.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    JiMMy 85 said:

I don't think i've ever been (or ever will be) 'a regular' at a resturant - you can obviously afford the tips if you can be a resturant regular ;)

I have no cast iron rules. Usually tip the barber the change out of a tenner. Cabs (and even resturants) depends how my own money situation is at the time and how much I have on me. But agree that i'm much more likely to tip providers who go the extra miles and earn it.
  • Options
    As I understand it, if you pay the tip on your card then it gets to the staff via the payroll, ie taxed etc but if you cash tip then that gets divvied up and perhaps the tax gets forgotten......
  • Options

the Missus cuts my hair now

So I give her my tip.
    She's never mentioned it...
  • Options
    It might have been said already but for me, I tip if they've gone above and beyond but not if they've just done their job. It's a cliché but it's true - I don't get tips for doing my job. I would hate for us to go the American way where a generous tip is completely expected, regardless of quality of service.
  • Options
    Yeah

Don't put hair removal cream on your nutsack

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    fattmatt said:

JiMMy 85 said:

The occupations above don't have face-to-face contact, to the same degree, where first class personal service becomes important.
    Pretty sure I said restaurants...
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

I don't think i've ever been (or ever will be) 'a regular' at a resturant - you can obviously afford the tips if you can be a resturant regular ;)

I have no cast iron rules. Usually tip the barber the change out of a tenner. Cabs (and even resturants) depends how my own money situation is at the time and how much I have on me. But agree that i'm much more likely to tip providers who go the extra miles and earn it.
    Honestly, you really don't have to be that rich to go to a restaurant more than once.
  • Options
    If I have coins I will never tip. If it's a note and not far to the nearest 10, I say keep the change mate.
  • Options
    When I was a Chipendale, most of my income was from tips
  • Options
    It's an American custom and we don't need to here because minimum wage laws have caught up with industries where 'tipping' is appropriate.

As others have said I'll only tip in 2 circumstances:

1) If I'm handing over a note and the change is negligible

2) If I'm at a restaurant and had particularly good service.

Generally if someone wants a tip from me, I don't expect to have to either try to get their attention or serve myself.
  • Options
    Amazing how we all see differently.

Barber - standard £2 tip.
    Restaurant - never not tip, but tip ranges on quality of service (and for no reason at all, quality of food) - standard 10% though
    bar - never
    cab - depends on journey length, but normally a round up to nearest quid
    takeaway - always collect, but if delivered, no never tip other than round up
    delivery driver - never
    as a kid folks used to tip at xmas the binman, milkman, postman, local paper kid etc - i never do any of these
    hotel porter - leave off, i can carry me own bag 10 metres or push a lift button
    hotel room cleaner - always leave a tip at end of holiday. makes me laugh how people tip a bloke for taking the top off a bottle, but never the person who has been scrubbing your bog and making your bed
  • Options
    Sometimes a sincere 'thank you' and a smile is better than a small tip. It's all about feeling that your work was appreciated.

My best tip is: Don't be rude to delivery people (or waiting staff), make them wait, give them the exact money, then make the mistake of ordering from the same company/ restaurant again! ;o)
  • Options
    Hotel room cleaner is a good shout, though at the end of the holiday is too late to get an improved service.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Removals drivers - I felt compelled to tip them enough to buy a round. They did a great job. Very careful and considerate. Seemed fair.

I try and leave the hotel cleaners very little to do, so I suppose I don't feel compelled to tip.
  • Options
    Like others

Barbers (1-2 quid)

Restaurants (10%)

Taxis

Possibly round up a takeaway (but maybe not a pizza)

Like AFKA said, in the old days tipping was much more prevalent (and a nice thing to do), especially at Christmas. But there are no milkman, the bin man works for a private company, very few people get papers delivered and the postman is as elusive as the scarlet pimpernel (copyright 1946 FA Cup Programme about Les Fell).

The Tesco delivery person would have got a tip then, he doesn't from me now, although if it was the same person every week, you'd 'treat them to a drink' at the end of the year.
  • Options
    What about the lads who fit tyres?
  • Options
    ...or tyre fitters to you and me
  • Options
    At the mother in law's tonight, she got a curry delivered which cost £37 and tipped the driver £5, she looked a bit confused when we commented on how generous that was. The huge number of free poppadoms would suggest she does it every time
  • Options
    rina said:

At the mother in law's tonight, she got a curry delivered which cost £37 and tipped the driver £5, she looked a bit confused when we commented on how generous that was. The huge number of free poppadoms would suggest she does it every time

She spent £37 on a takeaway? Greedy cow.
  • Options
    That's the starter and beer sorted when u getting the main
  • Options
    Simple depends on service. If a cab driver is really pleasant and helpful then tip, if service is quick and friendly in a restaurant then tip and the same goes for any service really. Also size of tip is depending on how good. If they just done their job ok but nothing special then 5% if they were exceptional then 10%+. What I can't stand is the USA where tipping appears to be mandatory, should always be choice.
  • Options
    brogib said:

What about the lads who fit tyres?

They've been paid £45 extra for the call out but feel free to add to it if you like.
  • Options

Amazing how we all see differently.

Barber - standard £2 tip.
    Restaurant - never not tip, but tip ranges on quality of service (and for no reason at all, quality of food) - standard 10% though
    bar - never
    cab - depends on journey length, but normally a round up to nearest quid
    takeaway - always collect, but if delivered, no never tip other than round up
    delivery driver - never
    as a kid folks used to tip at xmas the binman, milkman, postman, local paper kid etc - i never do any of these
    hotel porter - leave off, i can carry me own bag 10 metres or push a lift button
    hotel room cleaner - always leave a tip at end of holiday. makes me laugh how people tip a bloke for taking the top off a bottle, but never the person who has been scrubbing your bog and making your bed

I always tip housekeeping they are generally over worked and underpaid so deserve it.

Nurses should be allowed to accept tips and gifts though based on the same criteria but they're not.