Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do You Tip?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Anyone tip the paper delivery boy?
  • Options
    Quite simply put...

No
  • Options
    Always tip in restaurants unless I feel the food/service was bad.

Tip the bartender if its a busy night and I was served quickly, if they have good banter or (as happened last night) I order something "off menu" and they make it for me without fuss.

And as someone who's worked a bar for almost 9 years, getting a tip always makes your day just that little bit better. But anything under 50p is frankly insulting. I have given coppers back to people who've tried to use the tip jar as a dustbin for their unwanted scraps. We may be underpaid, but we're not homeless.
  • Options
    Nope. I'm the rudest bastard that ever lived.

Nobody tips me for getting paid to do my job, so neither do i.
  • Options

Amazing how we all see differently.

Barber - standard £2 tip.
    Restaurant - never not tip, but tip ranges on quality of service (and for no reason at all, quality of food) - standard 10% though
    bar - never
    cab - depends on journey length, but normally a round up to nearest quid
    takeaway - always collect, but if delivered, no never tip other than round up
    delivery driver - never
    as a kid folks used to tip at xmas the binman, milkman, postman, local paper kid etc - i never do any of these
    hotel porter - leave off, i can carry me own bag 10 metres or push a lift button
    hotel room cleaner - always leave a tip at end of holiday. makes me laugh how people tip a bloke for taking the top off a bottle, but never the person who has been scrubbing your bog and making your bed

I always tip housekeeping they are generally over worked and underpaid so deserve it.

Nurses should be allowed to accept tips and gifts though based on the same criteria but they're not.
    I know you mean this for the good of the nurses, sadly that's not always how it works here.

In China you're allowed to 'tip' the doctor, before an operation.... sadly what that means is, good luck having a doctor who gives a **** unless his pre op red envelope is good enough.
  • Options
    If optional service charge is added in a restaurant I will often ask the staff if they get it. If they say no, then I deduct and leave cash. If they say yes, then generally happy to pay it unless service has been awful, which it sometimes is.
  • Options
    A service charge is not a tip it is a charge which is additional to the charge for food, for not having to fetch it from the kitchen yourself.
  • Options

A service charge is not a tip it is a charge which is additional to the charge for food, for not having to fetch it from the kitchen yourself.

I would consider that to be included in the price of the food & drink itself. I know it doesn't cost them £20 to make me a steak and chips or £6 for a glass of wine. That's why a Macca's burger, chips and drink is less than a fiver and probably in the region of £15 in a restaurant. Obviously there are other costs as well (insurance, shrinkage, licensing etc.) but I'd expect wages to be factored into this and not arbitrarily levied separately. What next, seeing my donation to the heating bill at the bottom of the bill?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

I would consider that to be included in the price of the food & drink itself. I know it doesn't cost them £20 to make me a steak and chips or £6 for a glass of wine. That's why a Macca's burger, chips and drink is less than a fiver and probably in the region of £15 in a restaurant. Obviously there are other costs as well (insurance, shrinkage, licensing etc.) but I'd expect wages to be factored into this and not arbitrarily levied separately. What next, seeing my donation to the heating bill at the bottom of the bill?
    I always keep my coat on and knock the heating charge off.
  • Options
    Restaurants - yes
    Barbers - yes
    Postie - yes at Xmas
    Bar staff at my local - an occasional "one for yourself" and a score on Xmas day.
    Any other pub - no. Apart from tomorrow-the weekend when I'll happily pay 10-20% on top of the prices at the Czech beer festival in Prague.