Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women's World Cup

1192021222325»

Comments

• Options
    Well that was a fine end to a gallant performance in a world cup, let's hope the investment continues and they improve year on year
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I thought they would be on the plane mentally after the Japan defeat. The fact they weren't shows how mentally strong that group of players are.
  • Options
    Thing is people are saying that Mark Sampson did so well cos he got the tactics and squad selections right against the other teams and they wished that the men would do that.

Trouble is, over the years whenever the men have played there has been uproar, Gerrard has to play / Lampard has to play... When the men play we've always got to pick the biggest names and best players in X position regardless of the opposition (i.e. people hated that Clyne didnt get a look in against Slovenia but we bloody won which means Hodgson like Sampson got the selection right!!)

On another note... Wonder if we'll see a mens side trying to hire Sampson or whether he'd be even interested in coming over to the mens game, in addition it sadly looks like we know where the majority of MBEs / OBEs will be going in the next honour lists.

Despite that... they deserve the SPOTY Team of the Year award (Unless the Ashes side destroy Australia)
  • Options
    The reason he did so well is Imo due to the fact he was willing to learn throughout the tournament and within each game, his lack of experience he used as a positive and as such adapted and changed throughout, in stead of the same old school Mgr that the men have that refuse to adapt to what we face and believe that the way they set up is the right way,

He has impressed me through out the whole tournament
  • Options

Thing is people are saying that Mark Sampson did so well cos he got the tactics and squad selections right against the other teams and they wished that the men would do that.

Trouble is, over the years whenever the men have played there has been uproar, Gerrard has to play / Lampard has to play... When the men play we've always got to pick the biggest names and best players in X position regardless of the opposition (i.e. people hated that Clyne didnt get a look in against Slovenia but we bloody won which means Hodgson like Sampson got the selection right!!)

On another note... Wonder if we'll see a mens side trying to hire Sampson or whether he'd be even interested in coming over to the mens game, in addition it sadly looks like we know where the majority of MBEs / OBEs will be going in the next honour lists.

Despite that... they deserve the SPOTY Team of the Year award (Unless the Ashes side destroy Australia)

I see where you're coming from but it's a naive attitude to take regarding Hodgson. It was brave of Hodgson to put Henderson at RB when we were chasing the game but after we took the lead he should have replaced Henderson with Clyne immediately. He didn't and Henderson failed to stop the cross coming in and Slovenia levelled. We were very lucky that the Slovenian defender decided to play Rooney a through ball right at the end or it would have been a draw
  • Options
    Well done to the English woman. Beaten the Germans at footy, great achievement.
  • Options
    Yeah I was very proud watching. You have to take the woman's game for what it is and once you do that it is enjoyable.

The referee was getting some grief but allowed the game to flow and the challenges were feisty more than nasty in the main.

My missus commented that there was some play acting going on and im ashamed to say whilst I acknowledged her I also had to mention that particular practice is a lot worse in the male game.

Very impressed with sanderson when she came on along with aluko who worked very hard and with support may have got on the scoresheet
  • Options
    Shame that England's tactical revolution was to basically play like Pulis' Stoke, without the long throws. Lucy Bronze was literally the only forward bright spark. These tactics, allied to a strong defence, are often enough, but hopefully in a few years they'll get shown up. Axing Fran Kirby from the team was symbolic of where this team is right now, and how far it still has to go. Great effort, though.
  • Options
    (I guess Jill Scott had a couple of decent bursts too - powerful if slightly unimaginative player)
  • Options
    Play to what you have , there is too many players not on the same footballing brain as Fran Kirby , she made runs and passes that no one else on the team could see or read , and as such it became to disjointed ,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2015
    USA 1-0 up inside three minutes. First time Japan have had to chase a game.
  • Options
    2-0 inside 5 minutes.
  • Options
    3-0 now.
  • Options
    4-0??????? wtf
  • Options
    lol this is crazy but what a 4th goal
  • Options
    Hat-trick for Lloyd inside 16 minutes.
  • Options
    Kind of an amazing advert for women's football, that
  • Options
    damage limitation for Japan now
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Woman's football or not, that 4th goal was pure class, the technique required to do that, what a goal.. if that was mens football it would be talked about for years
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    The comeback is on

4-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    4-2
  • Options
    5-2
  • Options
    FT. 5-2 win for the US. Ya know I hate to bash my own country, but the football support here only turns up for moments like these or during the men's World Cup. Makes it hard to cheer for the US National team
  • Options
    Credit to the Japs. They didn't give up and played some lovely football. US were worthy winners. They have some great athletes.
  • Options
    The strike for the USA goal from near the halfway line was sweet but could the Japanese keeper make herself any smaller without disintegrating in to thin air

Women's World Cup 2015: Incredible halfway line goal for USA's Carli Lloyd
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33404887
  • Options
    First rule of women's football. Shoot on sight, goalies are crap.

(Great strike really )
  • Options
    Fell asleep just before kick off (as expecred)
    Backed over 4.5 goals 10/1 and over 2.5 goals in 1st half @ 10/1

Happy Monday morning.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

First rule of women's football. Shoot on sight, goalies are crap.

(Great strike really )

That's changed actually. The first rule now is hit the deck in the penalty area, referees are crap.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    It's an issue which rather transcends football, but thought I'd share this little article here as I always love it when moments in football reflect larger issues in the world.

http://time.com/3946226/abby-wambach-womens-soccer-world-cup-wife-kiss-lgbt-gay-marriage/

Such a poignant moment given it was a USA player and what just happened in the states, along with the general world wide trend towards marriage equality in recent years.

Why is it we can have numerous openly gay women footballers but virtually zero men?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Good to see Man city and Arsenal getting 2000 + crowds.( over 100% increased in Arsenal case)

Also Good to see Mark Sampson get away with taking at least 8 players carrying injuries before the WC started. You will never in men's or women's football see a squad of 23 that close again ? mainly because if the main players like Taylor, Carney, and Nobbs ( who was only fit enough for 1 match) were 100% fit the squad would not have all got a game(except Telford).

Sampson has increased his Profile in the game, even if he kept telling Porkies about the fitness of his players from the 1st game against the French.
    He's uses good man/woman management and inspired his team.
    he was lucky in the German game that their girl missed an open goal with that header after taking Williams off with just 10 minutes left before a penalty shoot out (Williams was a Buyens from the spot)

Giving 100% for the Shirt was fantastic to see.
    The Euro's are in holland 2017 and
    the next World cup is France 2019, The Women's game can keep growing,
    I don't feel it's in competition with the men's game, But if talents like
    Henry,Bronze,Sinclair and Carli Lloyd can keep being produced it has a chance to stand on it's own 2 feet.