Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women's World Cup

What's that all about?

Comments

• Options
    dizzee said:

Addickted said:

What's that all about?

Women representing their country in a football competition in the hope of being crowned world champions. Basically the World Cup but with women playing instead of men.
    Ah, bless.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Just been watching the Canada v China game. The first game of the world cup but i had to switch off. Absolutely Horrendous . 70 minutes gone and one shot on target.
  • Options
    started watching but ended up flicking between Die Hard with a Vengeance and champions league highlights.

The standard is just so poor it cannot justify the amount of coverage or the BBC right on equality pushing agenda.

Have said previously could I return a serena Williams serve, no.
    Could I beat Jo Pavey in a race, no.

Could me and my mates beat the women's football team, probably.
  • Options
    "Highlights" from the opening game;

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33019515
  • Options
    I watched a bit of it last night and was suprised how poor the passing was, that there were no accurate crosses into the box, noone could take on a defender, and that there was barely any tackling. There were some decent long passes from defence but the ball control was poor and the ball often went into touch. And nearly every throw in was a foul. I will imagine the attendances will soon thin out but apparantly over 50,000 attended last nights game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Blimey . I say a game I horrendous and world war three breaks out .

Hardly.

• Options
    Business slow Riv?
  • Options
    The penalty decision was an absolute joke! Thought China were worthy of a draw.
  • Options
    it cant have been as bad as this England Ireland game??
  • Options

The penalty decision was an absolute joke! Thought China were worthy of a draw.

Was a home decision if ever I saw one. A lot like the one Brazil got in their opening game of WC2014 vs Croatia. A lot of pressure on Sinclair taking the penalty though, she's a household name here and yesterday was a record crowd for any football match in Canada so to stick away a 92nd match winning pen with such coolness with the weight of a nations expectations on you was impressive. Canada got a bit lucky but I thought they made what running there was, China were organised in defence but barely ventured forward at all.
  • Options

Business slow Riv?

No, just had a very busy lunchtime session. We don't open until noon on Sundays.

Your comment was bit hysterical though wasn't it?

I agree with you though, watched some last night and the standard was appalling.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Business slow Riv?

No, just had a very busy lunchtime session. We don't open until noon on Sundays.

Your comment was bit hysterical though wasn't it?

I agree with you though, watched some last night and the standard was appalling.
    Ok it wasn't quite world war three but exiled's response to me saying a game of football was crap without me even mentioning women was definitely hysterical .
  • Options
    It's....just....sooooo....sloooooooow.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    My response to you was in relation to you exaggerating the lack of action. The rest of my post was a general response to the numerous things I've read in here and else where - stuff about the WWC (see the casually sexist tone of Addickted's second post for an e.g.) as well as the apparent outrage about EASports decision to include women's teams on FIFA16.

I'll admit I'm a bit more sensitive to these things since the birth of my daughter, who I don't want to have the grow up in a world where a lot of people still casually treat her as a second class citizen whose efforts and interests should be ignored because they don't live up to some arbitrary standard, but I'd also hardly call my post hysterical I'm not screaming in your face am I?
  • Options
    Exiled_Addick Your comments are spot on. My daughter played for 13 years before her family came along, here in Richmond, BC and I can tell you that there is talent out there and the game will only improve as time goes on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry Exiled, I was attempting to be formally sexist.

The main point of the post, is that a major international football tournament was about to start - in which England are participating - and not a sniff of a thread had been started. Thought it a bit strange, particularly as we have some active, knowledgeable and well respected female posters.

Both games so far have hardly been edge of the seat stuff though.
  • Options
    Well apologies if I misinterpreted your agenda, I stand by my defence of the tournament though. None of the very top sides have played yet, but there are some very weak teams in the groups so it'll probably be the later rounds before it really gets going and even then it is unlikely to be the kind of stuff you'll be looking up YouTube clips of in 10 years time. That's the reality of where Women's football is at, doesn't mean there's no enjoyment to be had from it if you watch with realistic expectations although I admit some of the hype around it inevitably raises audiences expectations.

Like I say, there was huge pressure on Sinclair yesterday as she's a bit of a national hero here so there's a story there. There were also moments in that game - Canada hit the bar with a well struck half volley and China hit both posts with the same free kick from 30 yards. Netherlands' goal was a nice effort from outside the box too. Not the stuff dreams are made of maybe (although it was maybe for Sinclair) but still some moments of quality amid some of the less impressive stuff.

It won't be enough for some, but I'd happily sit and watch a match down the park cos I just love watching football and if my daughter one day grows up to play for Canada or England I will be just as proud as I would if I had a son who did the same.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Sorry Exiled, I was attempting to be formally sexist.

The main point of the post, is that a major international football tournament was about to start - in which England are participating - and not a sniff of a thread had been started. Thought it a bit strange, particularly as we have some active, knowledgeable and well respected female posters.

Both games so far have hardly been edge of the seat stuff though.

The female posters only go to see blokes running around in shorts......
  • Options
    The first game was poor, but it will get better, Usa, Germany,
    France to name just 3. England will do well to reach the quarter final,
    but it will be interesting to see any improvement since the whole side are now full time and the advent of the Womens Premier League.
  • Options
    Had a bet on Germany to score over 4 goals in their game at 9pm. Guaranteed a 0-0 !
  • Options

Had a bet on Germany to score over 4 goals in their game at 9pm. Guaranteed a 0-0 !

1-0 up after 2 minutes, this could easily be double figures.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

You should have done over 40. Germany are battering them.
  • Options
    Should be at least 4-0 already!
  • Options
    my money is safe. this will be double figures.