Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women's World Cup

Comments

• Options
    Tried the England game last night as previously found womens' football poor and mostly unentertaining

My opinion remains the same this morning
  • Options
    The

Greenie said:

For clarification:
    It's not shite because it's football played by women. It's shite because it's just....well....shite football.
    I don't want to watch Fat Gut United Sunday Team play football on my TV and I dont want to watch this rubbish.

Have a watch of the highlights of the women's FA Cup final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzPYRFSUlCQ
    That was actually one of the higher quality games of football seen at that stadium.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    se9addick said:

Greenie said:

For clarification:
    It's not shite because it's football played by women. It's shite because it's just....well....shite football.
    I don't want to watch Fat Gut United Sunday Team play football on my TV and I dont want to watch this rubbish.

I don't want to watch Eastenders on my TV and have a very simple solution.

I am yet to comment on the Eastenders thread.
    Good for you and thanks for the fascinating insight into your day.

If this was only on Statellite Rodders TV, I wouldn't be as peeved about it, however because the Beeb are spending my licence money on crap like this, my comments and opinions are valid. Equality gone mad.
  • Options
    Points of View should be heated this coming Sunday.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Greenie said:

For clarification:

My thoughts entirely.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    As someone who has watched women football over 20 years, mainly on TV but went to a couple of finals, as soon as i saw the England team yesterday i knew it was going to be a poor game to watch. Samson picked a team to try to negate the French side by double marking the French Winger.(that part worked)
    That's the first time i watched The England side with no flair players ?
    Kelly Smith, Injured, Rachel Yankey Retired, Carney on the bench, Jordon Nobbs on the bench, No support for Aluko.
    After scoring 52 goals in 10 matches against easier opposition in qualifying,
    The coach went for damage limitation, which made it a boring match to watch.

I watch about 150 matches a season either live or on TV, and the Nigeria V Sweden 3-3(womens match) would be in my top 10 for Entertainment, with some great skill from the attacking players.(i needed Sweden to win for my accumulator)

This season the worst games for skill,i've seen, have been Scottish or Conference games but trying to spot players who can play at a higher level (maybe CAFC) there's always some good things, even if it's only defenders.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Greenie said:

For clarification:

Yet you bring it up on a thread about women's football, you're clearly obsesed ☺
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Keep trying to justify the BEEBs coverage lads.
    Ultimately we all know its pelt.

Greenie said:

For clarification:

Pathetically bad.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I have been impressed on previous occasions I have watched the England team. I think they had 3 or 4 that were not up to the mark yesterday. They clearly miss the flair of Kelly Smith and it is pretty clear they won’t win the tournament without her. Defensively, it was difficult to tell as the French didn’t create much either. Think they stand off a bit too much and balls get through sometimes that shouldn't. Having watched some of the other games, they will find it easier breaking through weaker defences so should progress, but suspect they will miss out to the first decent team they meet in the latter stages unless they improve greatly. A bit like the England’s men team then.
  • Options
    I tried for about ten minutes and just couldn't follow it. The quality is so poor/different from the men's game that it kind of feels as though it is a different sport entirely.

Of course I still want England to do well, but I don't think I'll be tuning in much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I think the quality will improve as the tournament goes on and the rubbish teams are knocked out. Women’s tennis is different to men’s and I can enjoy a good women’s match. There are fewer players with skill and talent, but some very good ones and there are fewer good sides. I don’t think there is anything wrong in criticising the quality as the game has to improve. I watched an England match a couple of years ago with Kelly Smith playing and was impressed with the whole team. I was less impressed yesterday as they were not as good as that side. Also, I don’t like being told a player is a good player by the commentator, when she doesn’t show me any evidence of it.

Goalkeeper is a very technical position and it is clear that the world game hasn’t really cracked identifying talented girls and coaching them. I say without doubt, as an ancient 50 year old, that I would be one of the best keepers in the tournament if I was allowed to play in it. That isn’t boasting about my abilities or an exaggeration. The level is really poor.

Also I see absolutely no reasons why the refs are so bad. Jonathan Pierce bemoaned the ruling that any high arm that contacts an opponent will result in at least a booking, irrespective of circumstances in this tournament. Then a French player wilfully elbows an English defender with the ref facing the incident only a couple of metres away and no action was taken. The English player had a big mark on her cheek and this is poor from the ref. Also an early goal kick that was so obviously a corner- Stevie Wonder would have seen it and a clear penalty from a late and needless tackle by an English defender that wasn’t given!!!!!
  • Options

Greenie said:

For clarification:

Yep.
  • Options
    WTF ! That film is from the last century !

Watch Usa, Japan,Germany, Brazil or France when they don't come up against a team who park the bus.

• Options
    England Internationals Eni Aluko, Casey Stoney, Katie Chapman, Jo Potter and Fara Williams were all part of the successful squad we had at Charlton back in the early 2,000's when we regularly challenged Arsenal for the game's top honours, winning the Women's FA Cup in our Centenary Year - sadly you know what happened next!
  • Options
    Croydon before they became Charlton Ladies was a pointless answer on today's show
  • Options
    Suthers said:

England Internationals Eni Aluko, Casey Stoney, Katie Chapman, Jo Potter and Fara Williams were all part of the successful squad we had at Charlton back in the early 2,000's when we regularly challenged Arsenal for the game's top honours, winning the Women's FA Cup in our Centenary Year - sadly you know what happened next!

Pardew banged them all?
  • Options
    Thoroughly enjoyed it all so far. The Women's game has come a long way and is ever improving
  • Options
    Was asked a question this morning and would be interesting to get some comments. Women's football isn't at the same level as men. Same applies to tennis, cricket , golf etc etc. However, why can't women beat men at darts, snooker or chess? Is a very good question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Because they don't play each other at it?
  • Options
    masicat said:

Was asked a question this morning and would be interesting to get some comments. Women's football isn't at the same level as men. Same applies to tennis, cricket , golf etc etc. However, why can't women beat men at darts, snooker or chess? Is a very good question.

When it comes to sports like Darts & Snooker, its probably simply down to participation numbers. Its like saying why aren't English men as good as American men at American Football....they probably could be if they had more participants concentrating solely on that sport.
  • Options
    last night was probably the best entertainment I've seen from the competition.
  • Options
    masicat said:

However, why can't women beat men at darts, snooker or chess? Is a very good question.

They can....and probably would.

The reason that they don't (to any large degree) will be due to participation levels as previously stated.

It's really about money. If there was the money available to sponsor top women darts or snooker players - this would afford them the time to be true professionals and dedicate the same amount of time to the game that the top men do.

I can see no reason that women could not compete on par with men in darts or snooker given a fully "level playing field".
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Greenie said:

Equality gone mad.

So equality is fine as long as you limit the amount of equality there is on television? Is that your point?

Isnt that....promoting inequality?

License payers rage about the BBC promoting equality via sport shocker!
  • Options
    If the choice is football or a soap, I’d pick football every day. I personally enjoy analysing games/tactics and the women’s game is quite interesting in this respect.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Greenie said:

Equality gone mad.

So equality is fine as long as you limit the amount of equality there is on television? Is that your point?

Isnt that....promoting inequality?

License payers rage about the BBC promoting equality via sport shocker!
    No. My point was made in the sentence that you quoted, not how you interpreted it.

It was this, just so you get it, 'equality gone mad'

Lets be honest the only reason the BEEB are showing it is for equality reasons within the greatest sport in the world.
    What other reason can there be?
    There are dozens of sports that get very little coverage, British sportsmen/women partake in them who are at the top of their game.....and yet the UKs biggest broadcasting company cover this.
    Also, as someone once said, all the while men cannot give birth, men and women can never be equal.
  • Options
    What about the women who can't give birth?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

What about the women who can't give birth?

Lifes not fair, never has been, never will be, and as soon as so called intellectuals understand that fact, then we can all go about our business without the whipped liberals of this world questioning our opinions on equality.