Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women's World Cup

Comments

• Options
    As said by Rachel on the beeb, Great tactics by the Norwegian Coach to push the defense forward plus bringing on one of their best players for 2nd Half, the closing down was textbook.

Great free kick by Norway.
  • Options

Regardless of the standard of football the games feel very flat. Watching the Germany v Norway game i can hear all the players and absolutely nothing from the crowd.

An anouncement was made, via the tannoy to keep the noise down because the German keeper "Had a headache"
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Why though Len? We're in such a minority on here our opinion I don't feel is reflective at all. I keep getting drawn to this thread as I think there might be updates on results or action from the games but sadly it's the same people reiterating their opinions over and over that push it up the page.

I personally have only seen 10 mins of one game so far.
    I have been looking up the final scores and fixtures so far though and hope to catch a game or at least more of one soon.
  • Options
    I'm only joking suzie, I think it's great that it's going on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    cant wait till the 10th anniversary Charlton life pitch hire to witness all the talent spoken about in this thread. Perhaps we should invite the CAFC or even England's women's team along for a friendly for charity......
  • Options
    Great freekick. Not the most orthodox of techniques.
  • Options
    Christ, that non-penalty! The refereeing has been ludicrous
  • Options

Regardless of the standard of football the games feel very flat. Watching the Germany v Norway game i can hear all the players and absolutely nothing from the crowd.

Doubt many Germans or Norwegians travelled.

They should get some vuvuzelas in.
  • Options
    Yeah I think there are not that many people who travel this kind of distance for women's football, sadly. That and the fact the early games are on when most people are at work. The 2011 World Cup had large crowds iirc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Canadian sports crowds for you to an extent - my experience of the hockey has been much the same. You get a bit more racket at a CFL game but not much in the way of organised chanting. They basically have only one song for all sports "let's go [insert team name]!" and any atmosphere that does get generated gets drowned out by the thousand decibel shit-pop they blast at you at every opportunity.

It was a bit better at the opening game with Canada (was bloody loud when they scored) and there are a hardy few trying to get a singing section going at the NASL games I go to but it is a very different attitude to watching sports live here - a lot of people spend 50% of it in the concourse munching on hot dogs. It treated more like watching at home on a really big telly.

• Options
    Personally, I don't watch the games for crowd atmosphere. I like watching the football and so far it's been excellent
  • Options
    The detractors may wish to find ammunition in the third Thai goal just now. Jesus.

Incredible pass to end the China - Netherlands epic though :)
  • Options
    Another shocker for the ref - another ridiculously soft penalty given, this time against Canada and to add insult to injury she booked the wrong player as well.

Penalty missed though so justice just about done.
  • Options
    Great result for the Thai ladies team, known as the War Elephants here, this morning. Lots of interest amongst my Thai friends, many were watching the game this morning.

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/matches/round=268020/match=300269461/match-report.html?intcmp=fifacom_hp_module_news_top
  • Options
    Greenie said:

DanDavis said:

Blah, Blah...stat...blah...stat....
    millions of people eat McDonalds every day, but I will make the assumption that most people understand that its not the greatest food in the world.
    Sorry lets not have facts cloud our judgement.

Greenie the Womens world cup seems to have really got to you.....Did you get nut-megged by a girl in the playground back in the day or something?

Hello, all of a sudden you've turned into a comedy genius....I cant stop laughing.

No judgement clouded, you quoted stats and I quoted a fact.
    But just so you understand, I don't have a problem with the Womens WC, just that its on our national TV channel and costing US money when more deserving sports would benefit.

This fact about only covering it because of an equality agenda. Any source? And I am also interested in the actual amount the BBC is paying for the coverage, if you could tell us. I also note that you never bothered to respond to my very first reply to you on the subject, when you claimed we were all trying to justify the BBC covering women's football although absolutely nobody had mentioned the BBC at that point except you, Greenie...

And, if there is a promotion of equality, can anyone explain to me why that is wrong?
  • Options
    I can't stand the BBC, always upto no good

; )
  • Options

Just been watching the Canada v China game. The first game of the world cup but i had to switch off. Absolutely Horrendous . 70 minutes gone and one shot on target.

I was at that game. It wasn't great but that was because it was a poor game, not because it was women playing. I've watched many many equally turgid men's games. The following match has been a bit more eventful so far but your post completely overlooks the fact the both China and Canada hit the woodwork with decent strikes so it wasn't like the game had zero attacking.

I simply cannot understand the need for so many people to be so condescending towards the women's game. No one, least of all the women who play it, pretends it's somehow up to the standard of the men's game because its patently nowhere near but that doesn't mean it's completely without skill or passion. Trust me, the Canadian girls were not lacking in passion and excitement after they won today.

Besides all that, even the men's game had to start somewhere - it hasn't always been the slickly produced, hyper competitive world game it is now - the FA Cup used to be regularly won by a public school team and the first World Cup involved hardly any teams outside Europe and South America.

Women have every right to play football and every right to the opportunity to represent their country when doing so. The 53,000 Canadians inside the stadium today show there is an appetite for the women's game and it is not going improve if it isn't given a platform on which to grow.

The women's game is still in its infancy and tournaments like this are about raising its profile and encouraging more girls to play it seriously. If that happens then one day it might be closer to the men's game and you might even find yourself enjoying watching it.

In the meantime, if you don't enjoy it, if it's just not for you, if your shrivel-cock masculinity is so threatened by any hint of gender equality that your only reaction is to try a belittle it, then your choice is simple... don't tune in, don't watch it and go back to whatever it is you do enjoy, something I'm sure you are much better at than any woman could ever be.
    Abuse and sarcasm mixed with a reasoned argument. This is the kind of post I like to see.
  • Options

This Ivory Coast team are the female equivalent of that Zaire team from the 70s that kept booting that free kick down the other of the pitch.

If I remember correctly, Zaire liked to kick the other side's free kicks down the other end of the pitch.
  • Options

Leuth said:

Womens football is dreadful, although it may improve if they wore tighter shorts...

They should stick to beach volleyball (although this should be only for 7/10 and better).

How does this not have 10 abuse flags yet?
    Cos it's clearly a joke and not everyone on here is as busy as you.
    It might be intended as a joke but it sure ain't funny.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This Ivory Coast team are the female equivalent of that Zaire team from the 70s that kept booting that free kick down the other of the pitch.

If I remember correctly, Zaire liked to kick the other side's free kicks down the other end of the pitch.
    "One time I shag a goat...".

It was one player, once. And very funny it was too...
  • Options

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Womens football is dreadful, although it may improve if they wore tighter shorts...

They should stick to beach volleyball (although this should be only for 7/10 and better).

How does this not have 10 abuse flags yet?
    Cos it's clearly a joke and not everyone on here is as busy as you.
    Re: Charlton Women's Team
    superchrissypowell
    February 2014
    Womens football is truely awful, although the showers afterwards would be a good watch!
    1Flag Quote

Re: England footballer comes out as gay...
    superchrissypowell
    February 2014
    I would!

Anyway, womens football isnt really a sport ...
    2Flag Quote
    That time of the month darling?
    You really are a twat
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I haven't watched any of it as I'm aware that the quality is pretty poor when compared to the professional ranks of the men's game. Plus, I try to avoid the BBC where possible.

I can see where Greenie is coming from. Had ITV, Channel 4 or any other independent channel decided to screen it then I dare say he'd have no issue with it. The fact that the BBC, a largely public funded organisation, has decided to spend 'x' amount of licence fee payers money on an event with, arguably, a very limited audience will have some people scratching their heads.

Dump the licence fee, let advertisers fight over slots for their adverts and then see if the Beeb is willing to splash the cash on it. I dare say they wouldn't have been so keen to screen it if that were the case.

It can only be a good thing that the WWC is being shown but I do think some people are going overboard with the praise for it as though it's some kind of meteoric breakthrough in the world of sport. Personally, I think we'll be in pretty much the same situation in 20 years time and no amount of exposure is going to change it.

The fact remains that most people would rather pay their money to watch the man's game which, unfortunately for the women's game, is far superior in every aspect. I, as much as the next person, would like to see the women's game flourish but I'm not the type to support it for the sake of supporting it or out of some moral standpoint of false equality.

The men and women's game will never be equal as men are better at football than women are. It's an irrefutable fact that may not sit well with the equality pushers. Reason being is that it has nothing to do with equality and has everything to do with ability, talent and the demand to watch it from the public. And, until these parallels are equal, the game never will be.
  • Options

masicat said:

However, why can't women beat men at darts, snooker or chess? Is a very good question.

They can....and probably would.

The reason that they don't (to any large degree) will be due to participation levels as previously stated.

It's really about money. If there was the money available to sponsor top women darts or snooker players - this would afford them the time to be true professionals and dedicate the same amount of time to the game that the top men do.

I can see no reason that women could not compete on par with men in darts or snooker given a fully "level playing field".
    Judit Polgar has been one of the world's top ten chess players at various times and is still ranked in the top 70 (having taken time off to raise a family). Her two sisters are both world class, too.
  • Options

masicat said:

However, why can't women beat men at darts, snooker or chess? Is a very good question.

The reason that they don't (to any large degree) will be due to participation levels as previously stated.

It's really about money. If there was the money available to sponsor top women darts or snooker players - this would afford them the time to be true professionals and dedicate the same amount of time to the game that the top men do.

I can see no reason that women could not compete on par with men in darts or snooker given a fully "level playing field".
    Judit Polgar has been one of the world's top ten chess players at various times and is still ranked in the top 70 (having taken time off to raise a family). Her two sisters are both world class, too.
    I purposely didn't mention chess......as I know bugger all about it :)
  • Options

masicat said:

I purposely didn't mention chess......as I know bugger all about it :)
    Chess is like a history Lesson ?

You have Kings and Queens.
    You have Knights and Castles.
    You have the foot soldiers; the pawns.
    You can also bash the Bishops !

• Options
    Great post and good spot @CAFC_TINI - thread now in the right place!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Well said. I think isms tend to reflect people’s own insecurities. It would be far better if we could discuss/be critical, in the same way as we are with the men’s game. If we were all the purists we claim to be, why do we watch Charlton and not a top Premiership club.

Talking about the football. I hope I am wrong and the team grow into the tournament, but I can’t see England beating Germany or Norway and one of these are our likely next opponents when we qualify for the later stages which is very likely. We really are missing Kelly Smith.
  • Options
    I think there is still room for growth, and I think the ladies will play a very different game against Mexico tomorrow night. They certainly have it in them. If they get out of the group it will certainly be tough. But we keep the faith, and keep behind them, the unpredictable keeps the game exciting.