Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women's World Cup

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015
    England have stuck with Aluko for too long and is definitely a weak link.
  • Options
    We have a decent keeper at the tournament. Unfortunately, because Bardsley is the "number 1", she isn't getting a look in.
  • Options
    Makes you wonder how far away the current Charlton side are from getting into the squad, or perhaps more realistically if any of the current crop have a chance in the future.

Kit Graham, who's only 19 I think scored over 50 goals this season - obviously this is in a Premier League side rather than a super league side side but Kirby who got England's first yesterday only plays in the WSL2 (scored something like 40 herself this season for Reading), the league below the top league.

Considering our team held Everton (A WSL side) to a 1-1 draw in the FA Cup this season there must be some potential for a few of the younger players to step up into WSL teams and the England set up at some point.
  • Options

Carney and Greenwood make us look a better team. Aluko trying too hard - needs to relax. Coach got it all wrong against France, but hopefully growing into tournament.

To be fair, England are probably a flair player and a decent keeper away from having a decent chance of winning the tournament.

Good call Muttley.

Aluko's control was poor overall yesterday, and was trying too hard, needs to get in the Zone and relax.
    Karen Carney is Class, and needs to be in the team.
    Jordon Nobbs is a flair player and can't be fit not to have got on.
    If England had Hope Solo in goal we would be hard to beat, with our strong defense. Bardsley is more David James, where a mistake is just around the corner.

Addictsaddict is right, with the reason, Mark Samson was negative against France,
    He just over did it with the starting line up, with too many workers and not enough Flair players.

Tournament football is tough, Mens' or women.

The qualifying is too easy, and the step up can be too steep but
    the young coach of the Ladies team has learnt more in the last 2 matches than in a life time of training courses and the easy route to Canada where we averaged
    5 goals a game.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Rothko said:
    He still completely misses the point of why a lot of people don't like women's football. Even if men's football didn't exist, I still wouldn't find it entertaining. It's too slow.

He can call people dinosaurs and trott out the same old shit but I and many others (from looking at Twitter) don't dislike women's football because it's played by women....It's because i don't find it entertaining. If other people do like it, and by the viewing figures and reaction on here they do, then that's cool.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Rothko said:
    Oliver Holt. Working for the Daily Mail. Oh, the irony.

And that article is horse shit beyond belief
  • Options

Rothko said:
    He still completely misses the point of why a lot of people don't like women's football. Even if men's football didn't exist, I still wouldn't find it entertaining. It's too slow.

He can call people dinosaurs and trott out the same old shit but I and many others (from looking at Twitter) don't dislike women's football because it's played by women....It's because i don't find it entertaining. If other people do like it, and by the viewing figures and reaction on here they do, then that's cool.
    If there wasn't men's football how would you know women's football was too slow???
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    His point is that plenty of people do find it entertaining, and that others (maybe not you) have said ridiculous things about the tournament in terms of its profile, its coverage and its legitimacy as sport. Check the best-rated comments below the article! I for one am glad to see the Mail lurch into the 21st century.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Rothko said:

If there wasn't men's football how would you know women's football was too slow???
    Errr by watching it. I wouldn't like the sport, no need to compare.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

His point is that plenty of people do find it entertaining, and that others (maybe not you) have said ridiculous things about the tournament in terms of its profile, its coverage and its legitimacy as sport. Check the best-rated comments below the article! I for one am glad to see the Mail lurch into the 21st century.

Poor jokes aside nobody on this thread has been ridiculous, so dunno why anyone needs 'putting in their place'.
  • Options
    Doubtless been said on here before (I've not read the previous 12 pages) but I can't believe how much coverage such a piss poor spectacle is getting.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    edited June 2015

1StevieG said:

Rothko said:

Errr by watching it. I wouldn't like the sport, no need to compare.
    The first half of the South Korea V Costa Rica game was one of the fastest games i had seen all season. On the red button at Midnight.(just for crazy folk like me)

The second half slowed down and yet still had a great finish and a 2-2 draw.

I champion the ladies game for reasons i've already given, but the naive defending at times, makes the games better to watch not worse.

The women's premier league is still trying to find it's feet and some of the games are stalemates, because of the better coaching where teams negate each other.

One of the best British Players is Kim Little who has played in the states this season, great flair and skill. (a Jockette, unfortunately)

As Fran Kirby is still playing in the 2nd level of ladies football, she is still a free spirit, and Mark Samson realises this.

Gary, you are right on the point that you should never compare the men and womens game.

Unlike the top Women Tennis players who earn the same as the men.(yet only play 3 sets in Slams)
    The top England players earn about 25K a year, the Man City women are on a bit more,

• Options
    never mind the (so called) football .. have a butchers at the sorts playing in the Women's Hockey World League
  • Options

Makes you wonder how far away the current Charlton side are from getting into the squad, or perhaps more realistically if any of the current crop have a chance in the future.

Kit Graham, who's only 19 I think scored over 50 goals this season - obviously this is in a Premier League side rather than a super league side side but Kirby who got England's first yesterday only plays in the WSL2 (scored something like 40 herself this season for Reading), the league below the top league.

Considering our team held Everton (A WSL side) to a 1-1 draw in the FA Cup this season there must be some potential for a few of the younger players to step up into WSL teams and the England set up at some point.

Harriott might have an outside chance of getting a place on bench for the woman's team.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Ollie Holt......your post was dead in the water the minute you mentioned his name.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Rothko said:
    Ollie Holt......your post was dead in the water the minute you mentioned his name.
    Just read that article. Like most of what he writes: a load of bollocks. PC clown who infers that anyone (most of us, by the way) who doesn't want to watch women's football doesn't understand the essence of sport. Idiocy in the extreme.
  • Options
    He's saying that anyone who questions the legitimacy of women's sport and women's sport coverage doesn't understand the nature of sport. Big difference.
  • Options
    I have not previously posted on this thread to state the obvious about the speed and skill involved in the ladies game as there is no point in comparing it to the men's. I enjoyed watching last night as its England in a tournament and there is no lack of passion. I'll watch the next game too and hope England progress.

But what Oliver Holt writes is b*ll*cks of the highest order. Once England are knocked out I will have no interest whatsoever in watching any more of the tournament, anymore than I'd watch the finals of the local pub teams' cup. I have no problem with anyone else watching it if it floats their boat.

In my opinion having watched women's cricket and women's rugby at equivalent levels, the football falls far behind. It's an opinion, Mr Holt, nothing more and as a licence fee and subscription payer, I'm entitled to it without being classed as mysogynyst by a tw@t like you!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

He's saying that anyone who questions the legitimacy of women's sport and women's sport coverage doesn't understand the nature of sport. Big difference.

Which is stupid. It is possible to accept the "legitimacy of women's sport" whilst also (in my opinion, quite fairly) questioning the extent of coverage it is getting on the television. Quite simply, there is not a broad interest which renders the subject of coverage at the very least, a debate-worthy point.
  • Options
    So why have the viewing figures been good? And shouldn't women's football seek to gain a higher profile through broader airing? Won't this convert a few fans perhaps? Won't it ultimately accelerate the improvement of the women's game?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

So why have the viewing figures been good? And shouldn't women's football seek to gain a higher profile through broader airing? Won't this convert a few fans perhaps? Won't it ultimately accelerate the improvement of the women's game?

More people watch Geordie Shore than the women's World Cup, which speaks volumes in itself. It might potentially convert a few fans if viewers weren't having the whole thing shoved down their throats by the BBC.
  • Options
    These namby-pamby liberal PC nannies, literally turning your proud British televisions on, tying you to your sofas with red tape and forcing you to watch women play football!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

These namby-pamby liberal PC nannies, literally turning your proud British televisions on, tying you to your sofas with red tape and forcing you to watch women play football!

No-one's forcing me to watch it (but that's not the point), just like no-one is forcing me to swim through a sea of sharks. Of the two, I'd probably opt for the latter though.
  • Options
    THEY'LL BE LETTING EM VOTE NEXT
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Leuth said:

No-one's forcing me to watch it (but that's not the point), just like no-one is forcing me to swim through a sea of sharks. Of the two, I'd probably opt for the latter though.
    No-one's forcing you to comment on it either. Yet here you are, moaning about a thing you don't want to watch
  • Options

Leuth said:

So...you'd rather swim with sharks than watch women's football.

What are you doing in this thread? Genuine question.
  • Options
    I don't see any issue with it being on BBC in fact I wish they would put more sport on it regardless of the standard, it has to be better to watch than the programmes about baking cakes and painting fecking pictures ,

The young girl who scored for England, summed up exactly what I said was wrong with women's football, here is a girl with bags of talent bags of skill and a football brain , who done things on the pitch in that game on par with anything I have seen from many a mens premier team, but the gap between her and her team mates is too big, so she makes runs expects the pass , anticipated and moved in to the space only to find there was no pass or that the ball was terrible on delivery,

It's like having 1 star player and 5 pub players , @ 5 non league players ,

Once there are 5 or 6 players like her or to her level then it wouldn't be so hard to watch

• Options

I don't see any issue with it being on BBC in fact I wish they would put more sport on it regardless of the standard, it has to be better to watch than the programmes about baking cakes and painting fecking pictures ,

The young girl who scored for England, summed up exactly what I said was wrong with women's football, here is a girl with bags of talent bags of skill and a football brain , who done things on the pitch in that game on par with anything I have seen from many a mens premier team, but the gap between her and her team mates is too big, so she makes runs expects the pass , anticipated and moved in to the space only to find there was no pass or that the ball was terrible on delivery,

It's like having 1 star player and 5 pub players , @ 5 non league players ,

Once there are 5 or 6 players like her or to her level then it wouldn't be so hard to watch

A lot of sense in what you say.

Believe it or not she plays her club football at a lower level than most of the rest of them!