Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women's World Cup

Comments

• Options
    I fear at 5ft 1 Fran kirby(Solly is a giant in comparison) may get injured by some of the crunching tackles that we have seen in the World cup so far,
    England just don't pass the ball as well as some of the top teams. even thou we have a great work rate.
    More Flair players are the main chance to get more people to watch and enjoy.

Good post NLA.
  • Options
    The women's game is still a amateur/part time sport in most countries it played in, so the quality isn't going to be as good at the moment, if the girls were training 5 days a week, I suspect the quality would jump massively
  • Options
    Had a couple of little bets in tonights games.

Ivory Coast v Norway - a penalty to be awarded 7-4

Germany v Thailand - Over 6.5 goals - Evens

• Options
    Absolute screamer there from CIV!
  • Options
    am this close to suggesting they should just get some male referees for the knock-outs, this is becoming a farce
  • Options
    Leuth said:

am this close to suggesting they should just get some male referees for the knock-outs, this is becoming a farce

Sexist. ;-)
  • Options
    The women deserve better, frankly
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Rothko said:
    He still completely misses the point of why a lot of people don't like women's football. Even if men's football didn't exist, I still wouldn't find it entertaining. It's too slow.

He can call people dinosaurs and trott out the same old shit but I and many others (from looking at Twitter) don't dislike women's football because it's played by women....It's because i don't find it entertaining. If other people do like it, and by the viewing figures and reaction on here they do, then that's cool.
    If there wasn't men's football how would you know women's football was too slow???
    He obviously has a concept of absolute velocity, and thereby has disproved Einstein's special relativity theory.
  • Options
    Looking at the groups and the rankings (which I know would have been slightly different when the draw was made), there seems to be a problem somewhere with regards to the strength of the relative groups. In group D you have 3 teams in the top ten (Aus, USA and Sweden), in group C you have two of the three lowest ranking teams in the tournament (Cameroon and Ecuador) which by pure coincidence happens to contain also Switzerland, Mr Blatter... Likewise Germany and Norway have the lowest and sixth lowest ranked teams in their group. Whether you agree with the rankings or not, it's supposedly the way the seedings are worked out, and it seems to be a bit lop sided?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Leuth said:

So why have the viewing figures been good? And shouldn't women's football seek to gain a higher profile through broader airing? Won't this convert a few fans perhaps? Won't it ultimately accelerate the improvement of the women's game?

More people watch Geordie Shore than the women's World Cup, which speaks volumes in itself. It might potentially convert a few fans if viewers weren't having the whole thing shoved down their throats by the BBC.
    The men's World Cup is shoved down their throats by two major channels, the women's is being shown on minor channels, the red button, and the Internet; but why let the facts get in the way of a bit of misogyny?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Leuth said:

Surely female referees deserve the same chances and exposure as their male counterparts in the men's game?

How else are they supposed to improve?

Female referees deserve better than this.
  • Options
    Is Sian Massey there or is she considered part of the mens game now?
  • Options
    lol

the game isn't about referees, it's about players

i'd be happy with female referees if they were helped by an instant decision review system

as i said earlier, it's great to see the players trying to better themselves on the world stage, but we must demand the utmost standards from officials at all times, otherwise the players are let down
  • Options
    p.s. an instant decision review system should be implemented as widely as possible in the men's game too
  • Options
    Leuth said:

p.s. an instant decision review system should be implemented as widely as possible in the men's game too

In the words of Ian Paisley-NEVER! Mind you he changed his mind in the end... :wink:
  • Options
    Leuth said:

lol

the game isn't about referees, it's about players

i'd be happy with female referees if they were helped by an instant decision review system

as i said earlier, it's great to see the players trying to better themselves on the world stage, but we must demand the utmost standards from officials at all times, otherwise the players are let down

Surely the game should be striving to ensure the highest standards are achieved by all, including referees.

How are they going to achieve that if people are discriminatory towards female referees? Imagine the backlash if it were the players being criticised for being of a poor standard :wink:

If there was a stand out female referee and she had to officiate a very poor women's match, would it be okay to say that she was let down by the poor standard of the women's game? :smile:

• Options
    Missed the goal as we're arguing over the remote between the cricket and the football but just saw a terrible free kick by us. Wasted opportunity there. Come on England. Build on it.
  • Options
    Blimey! What an end to the 1st half!

What a save by Bardsley our keeper. 2-0 up!

Karen Carney and a Fara Williams penalty for handball.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    This is a stroll for England at the moment. Playing really well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope taking Karen Carney off won't be like Bobby Charlton in Mexico 1970!

Carney is class.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Kirby off too now!

25 minutes of sitting back by the look of it.

Just like watching Brazil Charlton!
  • Options
    England will play against Norway in Ottawa. Followed by Canada or Switzerland in Vancouver's quarter final, if they progress.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Colombia score for 2-1. But it'll be too late, only 60 seconds of added time is left.
  • Options
    2-1!

Just like watching Charlton!
  • Options
    All Over!
  • Options
    2-1 FT

The commentators made that sound a lot more dramatic than it was.

Norway in Ottawa it is.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Phew! Thought Callum had put a bok on it!

Had to turn off with 10 mins to go!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I hope taking Karen Carney off won't be like Bobby Charlton in Mexico 1970!

Carney is class.

She'll always have better hair than Bobby Charlton anyway
  • Options
    Lol never in doubt.