Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women's World Cup

Comments

• Options
    We did it!!!!
  • Options
    Well done girls. Not the best performance but it's the scoreline that counts.

Quarter final against the hosts to come.
  • Options
    great win, shame w had to go goal down before playing.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Just like watching Charlton!

that keeping the ball in the corner? yeah ;)
  • Options
    Wow brilliant! Only saw 2nd half but enjoyed it. Jill Scott is a female crouch. Looks like she shouldn't have any skill but is fab. The build up to the 2nd goal was great.
  • Options
    Put Jill Scott on, said Soapbox Sam.

My CV in the Post.
  • Options
    The trick will be to play Jill Scott AND Fran Kirby in the same XI. Some of those central midfielders were ropey as hell, drop one of them and go for it, or just play a Scott/Carney/Kirby front 3
  • Options
    Both subs did well, Scott and Taylor.
    Great interplay between the two of them before Lucy Bronze's winner.
    We got away with that one.

If Their girl had gone down in the area 1st half from lucy bronze's bad back pass,
    that was a pen.

So both games where we have had a negative mindset at the beginning, we have poor 1st halves.

I thought watching CAFC was agony at times.

I said the girls always give 100%.

Now for the big crowd and Canada.

• Options
    Well done ladettes, job done. Better to win ugly than lose ugly. I will book some semi final tickets now as whichever way it goes I'll get to see one of England or Canada in Edmonton.
  • Options
    Plastic !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Plastic !

I hope it's England, but if it's Canada there will at least be some atmosphere.

• Options
    That last 35 mins was as enjoyable a game of football I have watched in ages, don't get me wrong they haven't all become brilliant over night but all 22 were of the same standard Imo and although there was shocking passes and woeful touches, it made it more watchable, if that last half hr did not put an extra set of bums infront of the box for the next game, then there really is no winning you over
  • Options
    When's the Canada match ?

After watching the whole of the 10-0 Germany v Ivory Coast match I decided to stay away until the latter stages, looking forward to seeing some competitive game now !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

After watching the whole of the 10-0 Germany v Ivory Coast match I decided to stay away until the latter stages, looking forward to seeing some competitive game now !

Is at 12:30am on Sunday 28th June
  • Options

se9addick said:

Cheers
  • Options

se9addick said:

It would appear they aren't bothered about the massive UK TV audience!!
  • Options
    England have the highest budget of any competing European nation by over 5 million Euros.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    Much better second half. Maybe the tactics were to concede possession in the first half and let the Norwegians tire themselves out. We were certainly much fresher and fitter in the last half hour.

Some decent players in the England team but we lack a top class striker/hold up player IMO, and the left back looks shaky. Anyway, a quarter final against the Canadian hosts at the weekend - come on you England girls.
  • Options
    Coach is too cautious. Team looks far better when it tries to score. The Norway defenders could have had a picnic and not be challeneged in the first half. In the second when we were chasing the game we pressed them and they didn't look so comfortable. That is the way we have to play from now on. Moore in midfield doesn't bring much. Fara Williams didn't have her best game, but she has a range of passes. Katie Chapman brought a bit of graft and steel. Fran Kirby too lightweight, Duggan not enough pace. Looked better with changes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with most of Muttley's analysis but I quite like Kirby for skill and determination. I would add that the lack of a defensive left back should be exploited mercilessly by any opposing manager that watched that. The gaping holes there were unbelievable. Had Sampson told Rafferty to play down the middle? I think we have looked much better with Greenwood.

Anyway still worth watching whilst England progress so will have to set record for the wee small hours it seems. I expect at QF level the teams ought to be evenly matched.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yes Rafferty is quite weak - wouldn't want her facing a good player. I think Kirby has potential but she runs into trouble. As Sinclair observed yesterday, she takes too many touches. Against the better defenders she won't get any joy. Aluko inconsistent but has pace and on her day can be a good player. I'd use her when playing one up front although we do look better with two.
  • Options
    Kirby is a far, far better footballer than anyone else in the England team - she was let down by the tactics yesterday, not the other way around. 'Too many touches' sounds like the sort of 'Andy Cole needs 5 chances to score' utter bullshit that can bedevil a player

As I said earlier, find a way to include Jill Scott AND Fran Kirby
  • Options
    I think the coach is very in keeping with the progression they are making , he seems highly committed and passionate, you can see he is meticulous with his coaching and prep but at the same time learning at the same speed as his team about tournament football, I think he will do the next phase of England's women's team after the good work hope Powell done
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I think he is over thinking things. Playing defensively clearly does not suit the team. but he has been lucky and if he had done a better job we would be facing Germany in the next game so maybe it is best to be a lucky coach. I don't mean to be critical of Kirby, just think she hasn't yet got the weapons or savvy to get the best of the sort of defenders she will face from now on. Where she is now- not where she will be in the future. When subs were made, England were much better.

Too many touches means she needed to be sharper. Take one touch at most then do something with the next. By the 3rd or 4th touch the defence were on her and she lost the ball.
  • Options
    I don't think you can judge a player based on 2 or 3 attacks where there were no team-mates in support
  • Options
    You can judge a player on anything - you might be wrong of course. I have watched her over the tournament and have judged her over that. But I'm not saying she is rubbish - I can see how she scores a lot of goals against poorer defenders and she is definitely one for the future - But she doesn't go past people at the moment, She is on the slight side and she lacks pace. So she has to compensate with experience and savvy which she hasn't got because she is young.
  • Options
    She is far better a footballer than the rest of her team,

one of the kids I had in my team got scouted by the goonershite after many discussions it was deemed the best place for her development, she has played for England at her age level and is doing great, technically she was very good, aggression and commitment the best in the team,

That Fran is someone I'd love our ex player to aspire too same in size as her and quality on the ball

Some players stand out Fran is one of them
  • Options
    We all have our opinions. I would be surprised if she starts against Canada though.
  • Options
    Went off injured last night though didn't she, the whole way they play is so much more fluid with her in it