Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women's World Cup

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Nice to open this thread this morning and seeing people commenting on a good game between USA and Sweden :smile:
  • Options
    I haven't read the whole thread but I shall settle down this evening to watch us play. It's a World Cup competition. I hope we do well, but from what I have seen there are a few better teams than us in there.
    Having been involved in a very small way in promoting football for everyone in primary schools over the last 20 years, it is quite nice to see that more girls are taking up the sport. If showing this tournament helps continue the trend of greater participation in a sport that has traditionally been a mainly male preserve, then good on it imo.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Didn't see the Sweden V USA match, who are 2 very well coached sides who are pacing their game to go long into this tournament. 0-0 was the result.

I watched a bizarre game between Switzerland V Ecuador.
    After 44 minutes it was just 1-0, even thou the Swiss were well on top.
    After 81 minutes it was 10-1.
    That's 10 goals in 37 minutes !
    This included 3 Hat tricks, one of them being scored by a girl from Ecuador ?
    Who scored two own goals.

Going from 16 to 24 teams meant that a lot of the amateur teams would take a pounding, but that is all part of the evolution of the women's game.

Japan won 2-1 against Cameroon, and the holders have won both of their games so far by just the 1 goal.

England Have a massive Game tonight against Mexico,
    They need to entertain as well as win. no pressure there !
    we will play more attacking players tonight, unlike the French game when Samson played a damage limitation game, and despite the positive spin he tried to put on it, i feel it back fired, by saying the French have better footballers so we will just try to negate and stifle your skillful players. The coach got the balance wrong.

The last time we played Mexico, was in the group stage in 2011,
    when it was a 1-1 draw. We also beat Japan 2-0 , so i hope without the retired Rachel Yankey and Kelly Smith, we haven't gone backwards.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Other than Suzi none of our lady fans have commented.

I'd be interested to hear more of the female viewpoint.

They are too busy laughing at some of the crap spewed by some of the men on here.....

• Options

masicat said:

However, why can't women beat men at darts, snooker or chess? Is a very good question.

They can....and probably would.

The reason that they don't (to any large degree) will be due to participation levels as previously stated.

It's really about money. If there was the money available to sponsor top women darts or snooker players - this would afford them the time to be true professionals and dedicate the same amount of time to the game that the top men do.

I can see no reason that women could not compete on par with men in darts or snooker given a fully "level playing field".

Have looked closely at this and no, they can't. I don't have an axe to grind , just wondering why.
  • Options
    England about to kick off vs Mexico - on BBC Three
  • Options
    Bloody hell, England are terrible!
  • Options
    Poor game
  • Options
    Aluko's touch has been really poor today but that Fran Kirby looks bright
  • Options
    Cracking shot by Aluko that grazed the bar just now.

Unfortunately England's shots other than that have been more Church than Charlton (Bobby).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's as disappointing as watching the men's team in tournaments.
  • Options
    1st half not pretty! A few wasted scoring opportunities. Think we'd have scored soon if they hadn't blown up for half time. Hope they continue momentum in 2nd half. Aluko is fast but they should stop expecting her to run on to a pass a mile in front of her.

• Options
    Definitely opened up this half. Starting to worry that not capitalising on that spell of pressure is going to cost though
  • Options
    That goal might help ;-)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Lovely ball from Carney into Duggan to set up the goal opportunity for Kirby who did really well
  • Options
    That was close!
  • Options
    CARNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    First goal was really sweet
  • Options
    3 mins to go..... Great build up to Mexico goal. Great pass and control. Come on - get the ball up the other end!
  • Options
    Abysmal keeping by Bardsley :-(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FT 2-1 well done ladies! Enjoyed that.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Abysmal keeping by Bardsley :-(

She looks dodgy. England should progress from here but expect them to live up to the men's team and lose to Colombia.

Just like the men's team they are playing a bit timid and defensive, Colombia had a real go at the odds in favourites France and got their rewards. Even the likes of France and Germany are hardly Barcelona so might as well have a go at them imo.
  • Options
    And Relax.

No composure 1st half, but much better passing in the 2nd.
    I'm even more baffled why Mark Samson was so negative in the 1st match ?
    If karen Carney was not fit to play against the French then tell the media,

Great to see Fran Kirby score with a good finish, and Lucy Bronze at right back is such a strong player. As the French should beat Mexico, we will have to beat Colombia to finish in the top 2. A draw may be good enough to claim one of the best 3rd places, but we need to show the same desire to get forward and play the flair players.
    Greenwood has a fantastic delivery with her left foot, as shown by the cross for Carney's goal.

I'd like to think that the critics can see some merit in that England performance even thou we are still short of our best.
  • Options
    I watched the first half of the England game tonight. Then turned over to watch the paint-drying channel.

Abysmal. Truly woeful as an entertainment spectacle.

Sounds like the second half might've livened up a bit. Couldn't have got any worse.
  • Options
    A lot more composed in the second half, some great play two well deserved goals for Fran Kirby and Karen Carney. They grew into the game, this should give them confidence against Columbia, which could well be a tough game.
  • Options
    Enjoyed the game, more than most of the mens a games. Quality different but its about entertainment
  • Options
    edited June 2015

And Relax.

No composure 1st half, but much better passing in the 2nd.
    I'm even more baffled why Mark Samson was so negative in the 1st match ?
    If karen Carney was not fit to play against the French then tell the media,

Great to see Fran Kirby score with a good finish, and Lucy Bronze at right back is such a strong player. As the French should beat Mexico, we will have to beat Colombia to finish in the top 2. A draw may be good enough to claim one of the best 3rd places, but we need to show the same desire to get forward and play the flair players.
    Greenwood has a fantastic delivery with her left foot, as shown by the cross for Carney's goal.

I'd like to think that the critics can see some merit in that England performance even thou we are still short of our best.

He tried to be positive in a game against the Germans and got stuffed.
  • Options
    Carney and Greenwood make us look a better team. Aluko trying too hard - needs to relax. Coach got it all wrong against France, but hopefully growing into tournament.
  • Options
    The english goalkeeper is shocking. Already at fault for both goals so far.
  • Options
    To be fair, England are probably a flair player and a decent keeper away from having a decent chance of winning the tournament.