Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women's World Cup

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015

The plastic pitch is horrible. Any misplaced pass and it rolls so quickly out of play.

All the talk has been that the artificial turf plays slower than real grass.
    definitely not on this particular pitch.
    Well I have admit that wasn't my own personal experience of AstroTurf, admittedly the one I played on at school was one of the old sandy ones that gave you bad carpet burns if you fell over but on that thing the ball basically became a perpetual motion machine it used to roll so fast.
  • Options
    Anyway, the women's game leaps ahead with every tournament even if some of the teams don't. The biggest disparity between this and the men's game is, on this evidence, the refereeing, which was actually worse than Cote D'Ivoire
  • Options

Leuth said:

Womens football is dreadful, although it may improve if they wore tighter shorts...

They should stick to beach volleyball (although this should be only for 7/10 and better).

How does this not have 10 abuse flags yet?
    Cos it's clearly a joke and not everyone on here is as busy as you.
    Re: Charlton Women's Team
    superchrissypowell
    February 2014
    Womens football is truely awful, although the showers afterwards would be a good watch!
    1Flag Quote

Re: England footballer comes out as gay...
    superchrissypowell
    February 2014
    I would!

Anyway, womens football isnt really a sport ...
    2Flag Quote
  • Options
    That took 30 seconds btw #busy
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Anyway, the women's game leaps ahead with every tournament even if some of the teams don't. The biggest disparity between this and the men's game is, on this evidence, the refereeing, which was actually worse than Cote D'Ivoire

To be fair if the referee had actually enforced the rules Ivory Coast would have ended with about three players on the pitch !
  • Options
    The non-penalty at the end was, taken out of context, one of the most staggeringly incorrect reffing calls I will ever see :D
  • Options
    Both sides should have had a pen and that disallowed C d'I goal was perfectly legal too. The ref at the Canada game yesterday allowed some shameful time wasting by China too and the Canada pen was a soft one as has been mentioned.

Anyone know if Sian Massey is doing anything at this tournament. I know she's a lino but she always seems pretty decent in the Premiership.
  • Options
    The women's World cup, having 24 teams this time was always
    going to have the odd big score. When the holders of the trophy plays the number 24th, the result is carnage. Luckily Germany didn't have their shooting boots on tonight !
    The men's Rugby World cup is the same with the kiwi's hitting 100 points against the minnows.
    I must admit i thought making obvious jokes about Womens football was a bit
    passe and doing an impression of Sepp Blatter is wearing a little thin after the last couple of weeks.(or months or years or decades)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very impressed with the standard of football so far. The women's game has come on in leaps and bounds. I have no problems with the knockers on here, but disappointed with their lack of real passion for the game...........
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Womens football is dreadful, although it may improve if they wore tighter shorts...

They should stick to beach volleyball (although this should be only for 7/10 and better).

How does this not have 10 abuse flags yet?
    Cos it's clearly a joke and not everyone on here is as busy as you.
    Re: Charlton Women's Team
    superchrissypowell
    February 2014
    Womens football is truely awful, although the showers afterwards would be a good watch!
    1Flag Quote

Re: England footballer comes out as gay...
    superchrissypowell
    February 2014
    I would!

Anyway, womens football isnt really a sport ...
    2Flag Quote
    That time of the month darling?
  • Options
    That's another flag coming
  • Options
    ;)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

;)

Sad act
  • Options
    If the lovely people who don't care about the WWC in any positive sense would kindly vacate this thread, I double-pinky-swear not to visit the Rugby World Cup thread later this year with entirely accurate criticisms of the worst & most obnoxious sport ever invented
  • Options
    Leuth said:

If the lovely people who don't care about the WWC in any positive sense would kindly vacate this thread, I double-pinky-swear not to visit the Rugby World Cup thread later this year with entirely accurate criticisms of the worst & most obnoxious sport ever invented

Well no. That is censorship. We have freedom of speech in this country. Why be afraid of criticism?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

You, surely, must admit that the Germany v Ivory Coast game was at best an absolute farce and at worst dangerous?
  • Options
    England's first game tomorrow v France at 6pm. We're outsiders for this game but are expected to get through group which also has Mexico and Columbia in it.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Leuth said:

Well no. That is censorship. We have freedom of speech in this country. Why be afraid of criticism?
    It's not censorship! You can all come here freely, just expect reprisals :P
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I still think the goalie's are hilarious
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Leuth said:

You, surely, must admit that the Germany v Ivory Coast game was at best an absolute farce and at worst dangerous?
    How else do you think African nations should be coaxed towards playing women's football to a high standard? Individually the CIV players weren't too far off the Germans, but they clearly hadn't been coached to the same standard. Results like this on the world stage will hasten the development of women's football in such regions. And no, it wasn't dangerous. Only one potential leg-breaker in there (by the goalie).
  • Options
    To be fair, apart from the keepers, the women’s game has improved greatly in the countries where it is taken seriously. It was frustrating watching a team that without exaggeration, we could find 11 lifers who could beat them easily playing a clearly decent side in Germany. We are then told they have no money and this was only their second game this year. Points to some of the issues with FIFA possibly, but mis-matches like this don’t do the tournament any favours. I suppose as it is a World cup, the organisers felt there needed to be African representation, but I think Nigeria and Ghana are the only two nations which takes women’s football half seriously.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

se9addick said:

Leuth said:

How else do you think African nations should be coaxed towards playing women's football to a high standard? Individually the CIV players weren't too far off the Germans, but they clearly hadn't been coached to the same standard. Results like this on the world stage will hasten the development of women's football in such regions. And no, it wasn't dangerous. Only one potential leg-breaker in there (by the goalie).
    We must have been watching a different game, I distinctly remember a German player going off injured after about 15 minutes afte one horror show and there were multiple others. If the game had been referred properly IC would have been down to seven players and the match forfeited before the end of the 90.

In all honesty that was the first even women's game I've watched in entirety - I presume that they aren't all as ridiculous as that one, and I'll try and catch some of the latter stages, but I really can't buy that the game in Africa will be significantly developed by the Ivory Coast spending a week getting thrashed by Europeans.

One thing that surprised me was how poor Germany's finishing was - their build up play was excellent but 10-0 should have been much more.

• Options
    Oh, the refereeing was, as I've said, dreadful, and CIV should have had a lot more cards for sure
  • Options
    CIV will be thrashed by Norway too, but they have the chance to beat Thailand and raise their profile that way. If you couldn't stomach last night's game, btw, please PLEASE avoid Germany - Thailand. Please.
  • Options
    Are the HABS there?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

CIV will be thrashed by Norway too, but they have the chance to beat Thailand and raise their profile that way. If you couldn't stomach last night's game, btw, please PLEASE avoid Germany - Thailand. Please.

Ha, I got the impression from the Eurosport commentators that it was a bit "if you think Ivory Coast are bad, wait until you see Thailand" ! To be honest I'll probably only watch matches that are on at a decent time, I couldn't see me staying up to watch anything.
  • Options
    Thailand v Ivory Coast should be a belter then.