Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ashley Maynard-Brewer - Interview discussing earlier injury woes (p14)

Comments

• Options
    Can see why he's struggled with concussion a few times... Like Rob Elliot says
  • Options
    Would be typical of our injury records that he's very good and yet always out recovering from concussion.
  • Options
    Top lad is Ash and a fine goalie. This season is doing him the world of good and I really hope he comes back to. Is and gets the number one jersey next year.  Really not convinced by Big Mac (Who is even that big)
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I'm not sure but I think our AMB may have had that nose injury before:

Scar is visible here: 

As others have said, he seems a decent keeper for his age and as we've seen with Bazunu, they will only improve by playing competitive football. 
  • Options
    Would be typical of our injury records that he's very good and yet always out recovering from concussion.
    And people question why a 17 year old keeper like James Beadle would want to go to a Premier League Club? AMB will have been with us for five years and 23 before he plays a single League game for us. Rob Elliott was 22, Dillon Phillips was 21 and Nick Pope was 22 before they did likewise. Should they stay because our League 1 keeping coach is better? Because the money is much better? Because of the opportunity to go out on loan to a club that plays at a higher level than us? These are all reasons for not doing so and there is also that possibility that injury might cause premature retirement.  

A keeper's position is unique for very many reasons. But the biggest one of all is that there is only one position for one. A defender can be an FB, CB, WB or even a midfielder. A midfielder might be able to play across the middle and even at the back or up top. A forward can play wide or through the middle. Hence why we've seen the likes of Burstow, Elerewe, Campbell and Kanu being given opportunities in their teens. Beadle simply would not have been offered that.

Let's hope that AMB proves to be as good as is hoped and that he stays injury free. But let's not kid ourselves that he won't go the same way as all the other keepers I've named. It's just the money we hopefully receive for his services will be commensurate with that ability.
  • Options
    Being 16th in the league with an experienced goalie who has had an average/below par season, or to have blooded a very promising goalkeeper for the season. 

Hindsight management of course, but that's part of being a fan.
  • Options
    I think that in purely ability as a goalkeeper goes, Craig might well be third choice in the first team pecking order next season.
    Leaving out investments and contracts and all that, if competition for places in a footballing sense is appropriate for outfield players, it is appropriate for goalkeepers too.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think that in purely ability as a goalkeeper goes, Craig might well be third choice in the first team pecking order next season.
    Leaving out investments and contracts and all that, if competition for places in a footballing sense is appropriate for outfield players, it is appropriate for goalkeepers too.
    It should be but it rarely works out in reality like that though with keepers, especially outside the PL. You tend to have a first choice, one that is established with first team experience albeit possibly elsewhere as second choice and then a young up and coming keeper as third choice. More likely that should he not find even a place on the bench he will be allowed to go to another club especially as we wouldn't want to have a drain on our finances sitting in the stands. At worse he will either be second choice or off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    And people question why a 17 year old keeper like James Beadle would want to go to a Premier League Club? AMB will have been with us for five years and 23 before he plays a single League game for us. Rob Elliott was 22, Dillon Phillips was 21 and Nick Pope was 22 before they did likewise. Should they stay because our League 1 keeping coach is better? Because the money is much better? Because of the opportunity to go out on loan to a club that plays at a higher level than us? These are all reasons for not doing so and there is also that possibility that injury might cause premature retirement.  

A keeper's position is unique for very many reasons. But the biggest one of all is that there is only one position for one. A defender can be an FB, CB, WB or even a midfielder. A midfielder might be able to play across the middle and even at the back or up top. A forward can play wide or through the middle. Hence why we've seen the likes of Burstow, Elerewe, Campbell and Kanu being given opportunities in their teens. Beadle simply would not have been offered that.

Let's hope that AMB proves to be as good as is hoped and that he stays injury free. But let's not kid ourselves that he won't go the same way as all the other keepers I've named. It's just the money we hopefully receive for his services will be commensurate with that ability.
    Rob Elliot on that Podcast recently said that as a Charlton fan, when he was stood on the side line about to be subbed on for his first game his legs were shaking he was so excited, he looked down at our badge and thought to himself that no matter what happened in his career from that moment he had made it and fulfilled a dream.  He then came on and played in front of his Charlton supporting family.  What a moment for him.  Beadle won't have that.
    Neither will his brother get the opportunity to play in front of his beloved club or family. The team he supported home and away.

Of course, Elliott spent a decade mostly counting his money on the bench or from the stand. On the basis of that fact alone, I'm sure that had a PL club come in for him when he was 17 he'd have been off before he had time to say "where do I sign?" Hopefully Beadle will prove good enough to hold down a place at the highest club level and go on to play for England too.
  • Options
    This is my one concern with him as our Number One going forward.

He seems an excellent Goalkeeper - But I've never known one to be so injured
  • Options
    AMB has been wildly inconsistent this year.  Ross County has only won 5 times in league while he has started and by most accounts there have been a fair amount of soft goals.  Are we sure we want him as our number 1 next year?
  • Options
    AMB has been wildly inconsistent this year.  Ross County has only won 5 times in league while he has started and by most accounts there have been a fair amount of soft goals.  Are we sure we want him as our number 1 next year?
    Everyone is an expert on here. Never forget that life rule.
  • Options
    He does seem rather injury prone. Sadly, some goalies happen to be so. 
  • Options
    Seen him s few times this season and thought pretty good. The team are not great and he has kept them in games more than once.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasn't one of his "injuries" a concussion protocol thing last season, where Chuks whacked the ball straight at his head?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    aliwibble said:
    Wasn't one of his "injuries" a concussion protocol thing last season, where Chuks whacked the ball straight at his head?
    Sure was.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Felt like he got concussion a couple of times last season
  • Options
    This is my one concern with him as our Number One going forward.

He seems an excellent Goalkeeper - But I've never known one to be so injured
    Stephen Henderson?
  • Options
    Quotes from Neil Harris here - talking about goalkeepers before AMB signed.
  • Options
    Definitely makes the MacGillivray situation more interesting.

And I got pelters a couple days ago for saying AMB was being frozen out!

Pleased to see he'll be playing more football but starting to wonder if he'll ever get his chance at the Valley.
  • Options
    This is his season to really impress do well stay fit and play as many games as poss down the road at the gills and he can come back next season and really push for a start with us if he is as good as everyone seems to think he will show it in league 2 at least