Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ashley Maynard-Brewer - Interview discussing earlier injury woes (p14)

Comments

• Options
    Very best wishes to him.
  • Options
    at least he's just down the road if we need him
  • Options
    Good move for Ash. I’m sure he will do well at gills and the club can keep close tabs on him. Still have hopes he will be our number one some day.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Another transfer that came in under the radar.

I was hoping that he might be our first choice but this loan should give a solid chance to gain more experience and he's still young for a keeper.

OK it's Gillingham but Harris is a decent manager.

And no, he's not been frozen out.
    At this point, what else could it be? He's now 23 and just played 17 games in the Scottish Premiership, including games against Rangers and Celtic. We've just signed another goalie who's 25. If the coaches are saying he's not ready now, when will he be ready?

AFAIK his contract expires next summer so I'm not feeling confident we'll ever see him between the sticks here.
  • Options
    Yeah this does not feel frozen out. Being sent on loan to a club just down the road, with a decent manager (yuck), where we can recall him at anytime - feels like he is very much still in the thoughts of the club.

If JoJo is planned to be number 1, best that AMB gets more minutes somewhere else. 
    Wont be the case... We'll have the option to bring him back in January and thats it.

Unless of course the loan rules between EFL clubs have changed once again?
  • Options
    Yeah this does not feel frozen out. Being sent on loan to a club just down the road, with a decent manager (yuck), where we can recall him at anytime - feels like he is very much still in the thoughts of the club.

If JoJo is planned to be number 1, best that AMB gets more minutes somewhere else. 
    Wont be the case... We'll have the option to bring him back in January and thats it.

Probably me misreading what they mean by recalled ‘during the loan’. Just sounded quiet broad. 
  • Options

Probably me misreading what they mean by recalled ‘during the loan’. Just sounded quiet broad. 
    Yeah its very misleading in that respect.
  • Options
    On 28 June 2022, Maynard-Brewer joined recently relegated League Two club Gillingham on loan for the 2022–23 season, Charlton holding the option to recall him.[11] .. that is the wiki take on his Gills loan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bit disappointed, was hoping to see him in the squad this year. Having said that, if he isn't going to be first or even second choice then best he's out playing - I would've hoped for a league 1 team but maybe gills offer the best chance of regular football.

In my mind reduces the chance of MacG leaving - can't see us just having wollacott and a youth Gk on the bench. Lots of games between the window closing and Jan, although not sure of the rules around emergency GK loans
  • Options
    edited June 2022

I was hoping that he might be our first choice but this loan should give a solid chance to gain more experience and he's still young for a keeper.

At this point, what else could it be? He's now 23 and just played 17 games in the Scottish Premiership, including games against Rangers and Celtic. We've just signed another goalie who's 25. If the coaches are saying he's not ready now, when will he be ready?

AFAIK his contract expires next summer so I'm not feeling confident we'll ever see him between the sticks here.
    The most recent article I found recently about his Contract states that he has signed a contract until at least 2023.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5f97700a8cff8/ashley-maynard-brewer-signs-new-contract-to-keep-him-at-the-valley-until-at-least-2023

Makes me think we've got the option to extend if we so wish, same as Josh Davison this summer.
  • Options

Different rules for gk...??  You can usually have an emergency loan mid season for a gk so cant see any reason why we couldn't recall him if that was the case.
  • Options
    it’s worth remembering that we had Henderson / Beeney as Maccas main rivals last season is it there going to genuine competition for the number 1 jersey that can only be a good thing 
  • Options

Different rules for gk...??  You can usually have an emergency loan mid season for a gk so cant see any reason why we couldn't recall him if that was the case.
    Could be... Although Aston Villa had to wait until January to recall Rudd from us
  • Options

That's why the gillingham move is good for the club and him. A year on loan playing professional football in the English league, doesn't have to move, close to friends and girlfriend (possibly). If he does very well, he could earn a new contract here. If he does well but not well enough to be considered a rival to our no 1, he could earn himself a deal at gillingham.
  • Options
    Definitely makes the MacGillivray situation more interesting.

And I got pelters a couple days ago for saying AMB was being frozen out!

Pleased to see he'll be playing more football but starting to wonder if he'll ever get his chance at the Valley.
    Same stuff got said about Dillon Phillips. It turned out to be rubbish.
  • Options
    Could any other other Charlton players benefit for a loan move to Gillingham?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022
    My reason for asking is I bumped into a guy today whose son has got the job recently of data analyst at Gillingham, will be interesting to see what other signings they make.
  • Options
    OS article confirms the club has an option to extend his contract by another year.
  • Options

Yeah its very misleading in that respect.
    Should have said ‘in January’. I want Groome’s head on a spike by sundown now. 
    I can get this done - if we can agree on a price 
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Good move for Ash. I’m sure he will do well at gills and the club can keep close tabs on him. Still have hopes he will be our number one some day.
    Agree. I don't get why people see this as a negative. On the assumption he'll actually be in the starting eleven and can stay fit he'll get experience at a good level which will tell us whether he's going to make the grade to challenge McG and Woollcott for the Charlton GK position. If we need him we can get him back. Looks like a good all round deal
  • Options
    Think that’s a excellent move for him … Steve Gallen handling is progression very well 
  • Options
    I’ve seen a little bit of AMB watching the SPL on telly last year. I wasn’t wildly impressed I have to say. Not bad, but not a world beater either. As others have said, absence (and the fact that Macca is a dud) has made the heart grow fonder.  Whatever the case,  I couldn’t see him staying at Charlton as anything other than no 1 this year and the signing of Woolacott put paid to that regardless of what happens with Macca. So AMB finds himself out on loan again. At first glance, Gillingham seems a surprising gig for him as it is a downward step from the SPL regardless of what people may think. However, it is geographically close so he won’t have to up sticks and move house yet again and, despite his lineage, Harris is a good un. Maybe not as daft as it seems. I’d be surprised though if Ashley is the long term solution for us. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

Pleased to see he'll be playing more football but starting to wonder if he'll ever get his chance at the Valley.
    If Villa hadn't recalled Steer it might well have been true. 
    Precisely.

Phillips was 23 heading into the 18/19 season, Maynard-Brewer is 23 heading into this season. This was the year that, if it's going to work out, we needed AMB in the eighteen man squad and ready to take his opportunity when it comes, like Dillon did before him. But he won't get that chance now.

Dillon started that year second choice behind Steer, Ash is third choice behind Wollacott and MacGillivray. Even if there's a couple of injuries/suspensions in January and we need a keeper, who's to say he's not fourth choice behind Harness at this point? NH at least has a league appearance under his belt.

I'm not sure what we learn from him having another year at Gillingham that we didn't learn from his time at Ross County. That's why I believe this loan is more about helping him earn a contract at Gillingham's level, rather than push on and eventually grab the shirt here.

I am honestly shocked by the strong response to the conclusion I've come to after pointing out a few facts.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

If Villa hadn't recalled Steer it might well have been true. 
    Precisely.

Phillips was 23 heading into the 18/19 season, Maynard-Brewer is 23 heading into this season. This was the year that, if it's going to work out, we needed AMB in the eighteen man squad and ready to take his opportunity when it comes, like Dillon did before him. But he won't get that chance now.

Dillon started that year second choice behind Steer, Ash is third choice behind Wollacott and MacGillivray. Even if there's a couple of injuries/suspensions in January and we need a keeper, who's to say he's not fourth choice behind Harness at this point? NH at least has a league appearance under his belt.

I'm not sure what we learn from him having another year at Gillingham that we didn't learn from his time at Ross County. That's why I believe this loan is more about helping him earn a contract at Gillingham's level, rather than push on and eventually grab the shirt here.

I am honestly shocked by the strong response to the conclusion I've come to after pointing out a few facts.
    Think you are over playing the reaction you got before and now.

People just disagree he's been frozen out and can see it as possibly a stage in his development as a Charlton player rather than the over dramatic "frozen out".