Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro U21

Comments

• Options

Sorry to sound pessimistic and grumpy .. but the 'cream' of our young highly paid, spoilt, over=hyped twitterati players are once again being shown up as really second rate .. what do they learn at the million pound plus academies ? ..
    last whinge .. Southgate, the manager is an FA luvvie, he's a shoo in for the role of senior team manager/coach when Uncle Roy retires

Gary Neville might have something to say about that.

You should also remember that a few of our 'young , spoilt, overhyped' players have accumulated maximum points in qualifying and scored one of the best England goals for years.
    Qualifying IS NOT WINNING anything
  • Options

Sorry to sound pessimistic and grumpy .. but the 'cream' of our young highly paid, spoilt, over=hyped twitterati players are once again being shown up as really second rate .. what do they learn at the million pound plus academies ? ..
    last whinge .. Southgate, the manager is an FA luvvie, he's a shoo in for the role of senior team manager/coach when Uncle Roy retires

You should also remember that a few of our 'young , spoilt, overhyped' players have accumulated maximum points in qualifying and scored one of the best England goals for years.
    We are an above average team, with an average record. I don't think anyone thinks otherwise apart from people that love to put England and it's players down, including our media. It's becoming boring.
  • Options

We are an above average team, with an average record. I don't think anyone thinks otherwise apart from people that love to put England and it's players down, including our media. It's becoming boring.
    it's not a question of 'putting anyone down', it's a matter of seeing what is laid before me: .. highly paid young players from the richest league in the world who are tutored at academies set up at great expense, lack the skills and I believe the courage and bottle to take on other less well paid but more ambitious, skilled young foreign players who have a stronger will to win. That's why our professional football is and is becoming ever more dependant on non British players.
    Less money, more attention to coaching, less emphasis on over rating what are essentially callow young men would produce better players. I repeat: 'what do they do all day and what are they taught and what do they learn as young players many of whom are touted as the next 'superstars' (some hopes !!) And yes, I agree, there is too much nonsense and misapplied adulation poured on these young men by 'the media'
  • Options
    That was always going to be a tough game against Portugal, which at least this time around we are trying to get a club spirit even thou because of Sterling and Barkley not dropping back down to the U21 and Shaw taking a month to recover from concussion ? we didn't have the best of the age group playing.
    Also Stones and Berahino, two Premier players dropping out, we are down to championship players and Premiership players who are reserves other than
    Kane,Jenkinson or Ings.
  • Options
    Serbia -Czech 0-1 after just 16 mins. Nothing Marko could do about the goal and stopped with his feet a dangerous one on one a minute later. he's already been more busy than the whole of Wednesday evening. Claimed a good cross under heavy pressure too. Unfortunately have to go out in a few minutes. Worth watching, the Czechs have started on fire, and its full house at Letna
  • Options
    0-2. Czech player races into the box, super dummy and Marko does really well to block. Kliment faster than two sleeping Serb defenders to the rebound
  • Options
    4-0 down now, but being in 2 comps at the same time, have been too much for Serbia. It's sounds like the U20 were their number 1 priority.
    So being crowned U20 world champs can't be bad for a nation of 7million.
  • Options

4-0 down now

Luzon out
  • Options
    Must win tomorrow which might help us in a way knowing we need goals so got to go out and attack...
  • Options
    22 minutes and pretty drab stuff so far. England have seen more of the ball but Sweden have contained them pretty comfortably. Jenkinson looks good but he's over age. Seven Championship players in this starting line up, apparently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great work from Jenkinson, took on his man and a lovely cross which Harry Kane couldn't quite get fully on to and his header just past the post. Then Hughes just denied by an excellent block. Better, but we need to get our noses in front.
  • Options
    Sorry Prague - just seen this after starting a specific thread on the England v Sweden game.
  • Options
    Portugal so classy and technically skilled, but Italy well in this and have made the better chances so far.
  • Options
    Well, if we have to get a result against Italy to progress, I'm not about to pre-book any semifinal tickets.

It was interesting on Czech Tv to hear the Czech ex-pros in the studio talking about England. One of them said that we have fantastic players as individuals, skilful and so strong. But he said that compared with other teams, the team work isn't there. He said that England may put together a couple of passes but then the other members of the team are just waiting to see what happens next, whereas other teams have more fluent moves involving more players. maybe I haven't ran slated him as well as I could, but i kind of understand what he's getting at. In fact as soon as I started watching Portugal - Italy, I could see it.
  • Options
    Czechs playing Germany a a packed Eden Stadium. A good game so far, Czechs wobbled a bit at first in the face of German pressing but have settled down. Worth a watch I think
  • Options
    1-1 after 70 mins. The impressive Schulz put the Germans ahead on 55, but Krejci finished off a fine move on 65. Czechs have their tails up, but the Germans as usual make less mistakes.
  • Options
    great game
  • Options
    In the half time clips saw a very good save from Marko to keep the H-T deficit down to 1-0. he's let in 6 so far, but none have been his fault.
  • Options
    Shite. The Czechs really pushed on in the last 20, and the Germans resorted to a load of yellow card tackles, but that did the trick. It means the Czechs are out and they will feel pretty hard done by as they matched the favourites tonight and absolutely mullered Serbia. They paid the price for wasting a first half lead against Denmark. Jan Kliment looks like a player to watch for the future.

For some reason they are now all getting behind England tomorrow due to something about Olympic 2016 qualification. No idea...
  • Options
    edited June 2015

For some reason they are now all getting behind England tomorrow due to something about Olympic 2016 qualification. No idea...

If we get to the semis then there is a play-off between the sides that come 3rd to decide who gets the 4th qualifying spot for the Olympics as of course we aren't involved..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Despite having 16 shots to the Italians 9, England are 3-0 down. I can' t say I am surprised. The only thing that surprises me is that before the tournament on Czech TV they said that while Germany was the bookies favourite, in terms of money lumped on, England were. It just shows how deluded a nation we are about our football.

But Harry Kane is a seriously good footballer, and hasn't given up.
  • Options

Despite having 16 shots to the Italians 9, England are 3-0 down. I can' t say I am surprised. The only thing that surprises me is that before the tournament on Czech TV they said that while Germany was the bookies favourite, in terms of money lumped on, England were. It just shows how deluded a nation we are about our football.

But Harry Kane is a seriously good footballer, and hasn't given up.

You can tell Stones hasn't been playing and the defence has suffered. Midfield is poor selection from the manager. He's gotta go.
  • Options
    Nice goal, and we did deserve one. I don't think its all about Southgate. The other good teams are better organised, look as if they know each other better.
  • Options
    Look at his selection though Prague. Why is Forster-Caskey playing? And Chabolah? Another manager going on past reputation and form? Loftus Cheek and Ward Prowse both on the bench!!

Like I've said before, 95% won't even reach the senior squad but when you've got a man who only achieved a 29% win ratio in his managerial career (half of which he didn't even own full coaching qualifications) it's not exactly a great start.
  • Options
    Hope we have a decent sell on for Jenks. Sure he put a nought on his value this tournament. Shame Gooners have a star at RB. Still he has done a decent job on left and used to play CB so perhaps Wenger will re-evaluate.

Can the poster who claimed Garbutt's 10 games for Everton makes him a good player please apologise.
  • Options
    well sure he does not inspire confidence but maybe his appointment shows that we don't as a country think the U21s are important. It was also mentioned here that the Danes, thanks to Morten Olsen's insistence, ensure that all three levels of team (full, U21 and u 20) play to the same system. Can you imagine us taking such a holistic (sorry) approach?
  • Options

well sure he does not inspire confidence but maybe his appointment shows that we don't as a country think the U21s are important. It was also mentioned here that the Danes, thanks to Morten Olsen's insistence, ensure that all three levels of team (full, U21 and u 20) play to the same system. Can you imagine us taking such a holistic (sorry) approach?

Is there irony there? I thought pre-Cash that was exactly the philosophy? Jones Hart Matthews Avory or Reed? Forget who.
  • Options

Hope we have a decent sell on for Jenks. Sure he put a nought on his value this tournament. Shame Gooners have a star at RB. Still he has done a decent job on left and used to play CB so perhaps Wenger will re-evaluate.

Can the poster who claimed Garbutt's 10 games for Everton makes him a good player please apologise.

That was me. And he is a good young player, hence why he played 10 times for Everton. Stop being silly
  • Options

Is there irony there? I thought pre-Cash that was exactly the philosophy? Jones Hart Matthews Avory or Reed? Forget who.
    Sorry, I meant "us" as in England national, not Charlton!!

• Options
    edited June 2015

That was me. And he is a good young player, hence why he played 10 times for Everton. Stop being silly
    Lots here criticised Fox for getting out of position, not getting forward, poor crossing and not preventing balls into the box. By the 2nd half of the season most had shut up because he had eradicated most but the latter. Can't say the same for Garbutt.

Silly? You started it with your user name.