Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro U21

Comments

• Options

Well I wonder whom people would nominate asa good manager for the U -21s. But before you throw in a name, ask yourselves why would he take the job? If you were the Danish or Swedish u21 manager for example? They are in a job where their bosses (the respective FAs) think its important. So do their players and their fans. Nobody can pretend that we can claim that too…and that's what's also important.

It's a good question Prague and one i think the FA would struggle to answer let alone me. Personally I think jobs like the u21 should be for excellent coaches not managers. Players get managed by their clubs. When they meet up for international duty the whole focus should be on the footballing side. I look at people like Pearce and Southgate and think these blokes a probably great man managers...but as coaches I'm not sure. Southgates only had his badge for a couple of years. We should be looking at people like Paul Clement. Knows continental and British football, been a coach for years but still relatively young.
  • Options
    Noel Blake
  • Options
    England could've had Sterling, Wilshere, Barkley, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaw, Berahino & Phil Jones in their team.

Why weren't they called up? Instead we had to settle for Chabolah and players with less than 20 full appearances.

Butland - Jenkinson - Jones - Chambers - Shaw - Oxlade-Chamberlain - Wilshere - Barkley - Sterling - Kane - Ings. That team would at least compete with the likes of Denmark.
  • Options
    Both Noel Blake and Paul Clement( let's see how he gets on as a number 1 at Derby) have fine reputations.

but if Forster-Caskey who is a hard working kid, turns up and not Jack Wilshere,
    If Chalobah turns up and not Ross Barkley, how do we end up with a silk purse
    and not a Darren Purse ? what ever great modern or retro coaching methods are used.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

I tell you what we are doing wrong dp and you Watch a hell of a lot of football at youth level,

As a nation from grass roots down we make it extremely difficult and financially difficult to allow grass roots coaches with no affiliated association with professional clubs to do their badges and Coach the Kids who may be a few yrs behind in showing true quality the level of coaching required that is needed

We still have an infrastructure behind the scenes that thinks that the way football was played in the 20s and coached is correct, the width the big men up front the units at the back moving the ball forward via the channels quickly

There is an over whelming desire by the dinosaurs in the fa to not change

They do not look at what the academy managers are doing on a daily basis

They think that Aidy boothroyd, Stuart Pearce, Gareth Southgate are suitable to coach the youth of tomorrow, no doubt they all talk a great game, bit my God they are boring their football is boring and they are shown to be out of depth

This is so true. You need as many good coaches as you can fund. Why? - Because producing great talents is a law of averages game and the more coaches coaching more kids you have, the more truly gifted youngsters will emerge. Where they emerge from, you won’t know, but kids can look brilliant at 12/13 and go backwards and visa versa. We select a few and put all our chips on those, but if great coaching was common place there would be more coming through.

At the moment endeavour/fitness is put at a higher priority by lots of grass roots coaches who see winning as the most important thing. My son (who is a goalkeeper) has just left his club of 4 years to join another one. His old club was a massive operation with multiple teams at all ages but the only player that played for them of any note was David James. The coaching is from the 80s – but it is done by enthusiastic amateurs who give up their time to do it. I would have pulled my son out of it if he was anything other than a keeper and he wasn’t getting great coaching alongside it from the University of Hertfordshire.

I’m not expecting him to be a professional footballer, but with the right coaching jumps could suddenly be made that means he has a chance – an incredibly slim one. It might be a 500 to one shot so you need 500 more kids being well coached to make that shot happen to one of them. To produce a great player you might need to multiply by 10! This is what it is all about and I don’t understand why the FA doesn’t get it!
  • Options

I tell you what we are doing wrong dp and you Watch a hell of a lot of football at youth level,

As a nation from grass roots down we make it extremely difficult and financially difficult to allow grass roots coaches with no affiliated association with professional clubs to do their badges and Coach the Kids who may be a few yrs behind in showing true quality the level of coaching required that is needed

We still have an infrastructure behind the scenes that thinks that the way football was played in the 20s and coached is correct, the width the big men up front the units at the back moving the ball forward via the channels quickly

They think that Aidy boothroyd, Stuart Pearce, Gareth Southgate are suitable to coach the youth of tomorrow, no doubt they all talk a great game, bit my God they are boring their football is boring and they are shown to be out of depth

I totally agree with that, I have been saying for years that there needs to be a revolution in this Country from top to bottom. If we say that Germany, as World Champions, are the benchmark for how we should be bringing through our youngsters. Can we not take their blueprint and use it for ourselves. The dinosaurs need to be made extinct and a new order introduced. We need a footballing Guru to oversee this change.

Despite the huge money generated by the Premiership, we are still a joke at major footballing competitions.

Time for a change and that change is now.

• Options
    I'd support that more than anything else in football it breaks my heart watching great coaches give up and the fa could not give a shit because there are a hundred Pearce Southgate boothroyds out there to continue their quest for shit
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    The issue is that the solution to the problem is a statistical/analytical one rather than a football one. The only football element in it is an understanding that better coaches will improve players, but even a village idiot might grasp that! And it might help to give a clear vision of what you want your better coaches to focus on.

It won’t help our kids. Becoming a professional footballer is like winning the lottery. Improving the coaching means it is like buying a few more tickets –that’s all on an individual level. Still highly unlikely you will win but there will be more winners. In this case/replace winners with world class footballers.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I totally agree with that, I have been saying for years that there needs to be a revolution in this Country from top to bottom. If we say that Germany, as World Champions, are the benchmark for how we should be bringing through our youngsters. Can we not take their blueprint and use it for ourselves. The dinosaurs need to be made extinct and a new order introduced. We need a footballing Guru to oversee this change.

Despite the huge money generated by the Premiership, we are still a joke at major footballing competitions.

Right. I agree. But In turn I have written numerous times ( and got very little agreement on here)what the fundamental difference is between Germany and England. In Germany the DFB Is the highest authority. The Bundesliga reports to the DFB. It's the DFB that decrees how TV money will be reinvested, in academies and at grass roots, as well as defining the rules for international call ups.

Therefore to follow the blueprint we need to abolish the FAPL as a separate entity and bring that TV money back under football' s control. Away from the control of 20 blokes, most of whom are foreigners, who do not give a flying one about England's national team.

I'll be delighted if you at least get that. Because very few people on here do.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Yes, those 20 blokes are a big part of the problem I'm afraid. There are lots of differences between Germany and England. Not just in football - everything they do seems to be better than us! Maybe it is because they are more analytical and logical in their approach and we as a nation are all about snouts in the troughs and jobs for the boys.

Look how long English cricket has taken to realise that one day cricket is about players that can routinely clear the boundary. And the recent series has shown we always had those players! What is it in our mentality, which means despite the evidence of seeing everybody else being successful doing things a certain way, that our way is better even though it brings zero success?
  • Options
    Look out for Denmark as a dark horse to win the tournament. They have some excellent young players.
  • Options

England could've had Sterling, Wilshere, Barkley, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaw, Berahino & Phil Jones in their team.

Why weren't they called up? Instead we had to settle for Chabolah and players with less than 20 full appearances.

Butland - Jenkinson - Jones - Chambers - Shaw - Oxlade-Chamberlain - Wilshere - Barkley - Sterling - Kane - Ings. That team would at least compete with the likes of Denmark.

Italy could have had Verratti, El Sharaawy, De Scilgio, Perin, Zaza, Saponara, Cristante, Gabbiadini.

It's excuse after excuse with England. Our players just aren't as good as we think they are.
  • Options
    But that's a utopia and one i don't think would be wholly beneficial the second sky and Scudamore got together that ideal vanished from the English game ,

we need to accept the way the money the power is distributed and find the solution to adapt to that, I also don't subscribe to the fact that the fact all these players pull out of the u21s is money and club pressure, I believe that it is something that I banged on about after the Sheffield utd debacle , it's a fear factor some of these so called over hyped and over protected players didn't want to play because should England fail again which I assure you they would have regardless of the squad that was playing, due to their inept manager and coaching sessions which are negative, slow and full of fear, something that is very obvious to all

More coaches, young vibrant and accepting of all minute detail of technical ability, but not restricted by the authorities from implementation and experimentation , we need to remove the non competitive nature of our grass roots games and we need to be more in control at the lowest level of the game about matching teams of the same ability and not being afraid to do so,

I don't mean at 5 or 6 but I assure you that even a 5 yr old that is pitched in a team to play against another team of 5 yr olds that has better access to better coaching will be disheartened and move from the game far earlier than he should

That is not sky's fault nor Scudamore but they certainly could afford to pay for every wannabe coach to atleast get the first 3 levels of coaching without having to pay anything other than the costs of getting too and from the courses
  • Options

But that's a utopia and one i don't think would be wholly beneficial the second sky and Scudamore got together that ideal vanished from the English game ,

we need to accept the way the money the power is distributed and find the solution to adapt to that, I also don't subscribe to the fact that the fact all these players pull out of the u21s is money and club pressure, I believe that it is something that I banged on about after the Sheffield utd debacle , it's a fear factor some of these so called over hyped and over protected players didn't want to play because should England fail again which I assure you they would have regardless of the squad that was playing, due to their inept manager and coaching sessions which are negative, slow and full of fear, something that is very obvious to all

More coaches, young vibrant and accepting of all minute detail of technical ability, but not restricted by the authorities from implementation and experimentation , we need to remove the non competitive nature of our grass roots games and we need to be more in control at the lowest level of the game about matching teams of the same ability and not being afraid to do so,

I don't mean at 5 or 6 but I assure you that even a 5 yr old that is pitched in a team to play against another team of 5 yr olds that has better access to better coaching will be disheartened and move from the game far earlier than he should

That is not sky's fault nor Scudamore but they certainly could afford to pay for every wannabe coach to atleast get the first 3 levels of coaching without having to pay anything other than the costs of getting too and from the courses

Why we should accept it, when it is obviously at the root of the problems everyone here bangs on about. ? Lousy England performances, too high ticket prices, the ridiculous imbalance of TV money within the Championship, clubs going into admin after falling out of the FAPL , shit players in the second division earning 40k/week, agents creaming it as a result - all this is a direct result of the FAPL's existence as a separate entity.

Or you can just accept it, and give Southgate a kicking if it makes you feel better, but nothing will change
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    When you represent two areas that conflict, it is usually the most powerful area that wins the day. So the FA want to improve grass roots football, but always within the constraints of the Premier League. So you get silly suggestions like Greg Dyke's one recently about B teams playing in lower leagues - citing Spain as a shining example of how they work, conveniently that they were running this system when they were crap too. But it is a solution to a problem that benefits the Premier club so it becomes the solution. But we all know it isn't. Restricting the number of foreign players - in a significant rather than token way would have a much greater impact and the big clubs then have an incentive to invest in English talent and for better coaching at grass roots level in this country - but this could weaken their teams in the short to medium term so whilst it is a solution that would have a far greater impact, it won't get suggested from within.

The Bundesliga has a significantly different approach but still manages to be successful as a league.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Because you need to pick the fights you can win , that one you can't and won't so why put time energy and focus into it when if you build an infrastructure that accepts the way it is and fight and put focus into getting them to assist in the grass roots , which in turn will bring players able to understand and grow with the next level of coaching they would get should they get into the professional system ,

Currently you have kids being coached by level 1 Coaches the bare minimum requirement to be involved who then get picked up by a club with coaches who have level 2,3 and some with the UEFA badges or sitting them , who don't have the understanding of the Greater technical requests of them., as a result the Coaches have to either release them totally as they can't give the time or spend time on them away from the group ,

You can have both In this situation and although it may not ever sit fully hand in hand it can be achieved and changed due to the wealth they bring,

Explain to me why Southgate is not accountable , he picked the squad he chose the tactics, we scored one goal , in three games , he was negative , he was old fashioned he picked physical attributes over technical ability , his team was a mirror image of himself as a player

Pearce got the most out of his players reaching the final in a mirror image of himself, heart desire passion and strength , yet the same as poor Stewart himself was found wanting against the Germans as those attributes only take you so far

Look another list of mgrs of the u21

Pearce
    Southgate
    Wilkinson
    Platt
    Reid

Etc with the exception of Peter Taylor who at one stage was willing and able to try to push through the changes required but succumbed to the dinosaurs and as a result went backwatds in his own career and also in the way he came across

• Options
    edited June 2015
    NLA I'm not defending Southgate, I'm just saying you can change him and nothing will change. If you want to use Germany as a benchmark, and take their blueprint, as @Dick Plumb wants to do (and in principal so do I), then you need to have both the money and the clean clear lines of leadership and authority that German football has.

Nothing is impossible. I bet you didn't think, a month ago that Blatter was going to be forced to resign and 14 FIFA execs would be under FBI investigation, some in custody, did you?
  • Options
    Was German football in the same situation , two huge powerful companies selling their products across the globe to watch the German game ,

If so then I will agree it can be changed, but I don't remember German football being marketed and sold like the premier league, and if it was I can only doff my cap to all those people who gave up their potential wealth for the good of the game ,

You can only compare if it's like for like if they were not then although it's a nice romantic thought it won't happen, so build using the very thing that is the issue
  • Options
    But the fa is the problem and the antiquated way it believes it's position within the game is a bastion of virtue and the blue print of how it should be taught , the fa are very influential in the coaching that takes place and the technical side it wants to follow ,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Was German football in the same situation , two huge powerful companies selling their products across the globe to watch the German game ,

If so then I will agree it can be changed, but I don't remember German football being marketed and sold like the premier league, and if it was I can only doff my cap to all those people who gave up their potential wealth for the good of the game ,

You can only compare if it's like for like if they were not then although it's a nice romantic thought it won't happen, so build using the very thing that is the issue

A good question, but you have to remember that we sold out the FAPL back in 1991 and the early years for Sky were a bit of a struggle. It almost didn't work, but they literally gave away dishes, and trampled all over the other lot (BSB).

And here is the other thing. Sky are in Germany. But the deal is still negotiated by the DFB. I don't blame Sky, because Sky don't give a toss whom they pay, so long as they can show live TV. If it had stayed under the FA, and still got their live games, they'd have been happy enough. The FA sold out in order to piss off the Football League, a typical petty piece of politics with horrendous results. But Alan Sugar was complicit in it too. Tom Bower's Broken Dreams book covers it.
  • Options
    If we do just have to roll over and accept changes that the very richest have made to benefit themselves to the detriment of everyone else (like society as a whole) we might as well all give up though NLA. It is exactly what they want us to do, roll over and be quiet. I will keep on fighting, even if it's only making people aware of their excess and failures on social media.

And we scored two goals, by the way... :wink:
  • Options

dickplumb said:

Right. I agree. But In turn I have written numerous times ( and got very little agreement on here)what the fundamental difference is between Germany and England. In Germany the DFB Is the highest authority. The Bundesliga reports to the DFB. It's the DFB that decrees how TV money will be reinvested, in academies and at grass roots, as well as defining the rules for international call ups.

Therefore to follow the blueprint we need to abolish the FAPL as a separate entity and bring that TV money back under football' s control. Away from the control of 20 blokes, most of whom are foreigners, who do not give a flying one about England's national team.

Yes I have got that, I am quite intelligent you know. There is no need for the condescending tone.
    Abolish the FAPL, that sounds good to me.

• Options
    But it's not giving up p it's thinking differently in how to over come , we could change it all financially but if they don't make the chAnge within the old boys at the fa and don't make coaching to a higher level more accessBle to the guys giving up time and effort for free and actually accept that the people an characteristics they hold dear are actually out of date and wrong in their approach and are so as a result of the out of touch thought and guidance of their own coaching system
  • Options
    I had given up at 3 nil appologises Gareth you got it right twice in 3 games
  • Options
    What is the figure for the new tv deal . And the figures they sell it for globally
  • Options
    Sky bbc bt paid 5. 13 billion you will never get rid of that without taking over the world in a military coo
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

Yes I have got that, I am quite intelligent you know. There is no need for the condescending tone.
    Abolish the FAPL, that sounds good to me.

The perils of the written word. When I wrote "you at least", I meant you, as opposed to most of the others on CL, who have up to now not remotely agreed with this view, which I floated many times. I think I needed a comma, as in "you, at least". If you read it that way I hope it no longer sounds condescending.
  • Options

Sky bbc bt paid 5. 13 billion you will never get rid of that without taking over the world in a military coo

It's not the amount of the money. Like I said, if TV rights are negotiated by a "new FA" as opposed to the FAPL, Sky and BT will still happily put the same money in as they do now. It's what happens to the money,what it is used for and who decides on that, that is the problem.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

I am passionate about this topic, interesting conversation above, I agree whole heartily.

The fapl is the enemy of English national football. They are just so damned powerfull/stinking rich. Trouble is I can only see a way out if the Gov't brought in a bill restructuring our game from top to bottom and that aint going to happen anytime soon.