Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Music Festivals and You (innocent virgin or overindulged wench)

Comments

• I've done the Isle of Wight a couple of times, I was 43 when I went for the first time last year. Great weekend away without the wives. It doubles as a boys weekend away as well as a music festival. We stay in the 'post' tents with proper toilets and estra showers though. From what I understand the 'feral' camping is not very nice. It takes me a week to recover from the weekend though, too little sleep, too much alcohol and other factors, as I'm sure you can imaging, all take their toll.

I also went to the 80s Rewind last year with my wife and my son (who was ten at the time) It rained a lot and we gave up on the Sunday morning as they were fed up with being wet and cold. It was more fun though, lots of people dressed up and I was more familiar with the music.

I have a friend that used to work for Tangerine fields, and he had three summers where he went to all of them. By the end he was so bored that he doesn't think he'll go to another festival again.

I think the solution is to avoid the 'too much of a good thing'.
  • Not counting day events:

Download 04 and 05
    Wacken near Hamburg 05
    Exit in Serbia 08 (by far the best)
    Bestival in 09

They're not for me these days, I've seen most bands and DJs I want to see in London for cheaper, longer and with fewer people. Half the people who do festivals now seem to do it for the sake of it, and spend most of the time taking photos of themselves at a festival. They're also a monumental ripoff in this country.
  • Loads of one dayers.
    Got fed up sitting on the grass enjoying the music, and trying to dodge the urine filled lager cans being hurled around.
  • V98, v04, v07, v08 and v09 first one was magic, 09 was shit. Came to the end of my tether with everything. Idiot security, the new lad culture of fake tans and thinking the fucking ting tings are the best thing they've seen live, the price and the bullshit of token only bars and the general rippy offness of everything. Also the first festival I've had a brawl at.

Done the hop farm a few times the best year being 2009 and countless day events and gigs

Doing the ramblin man festival in mote park this year but not staying as I live 10 minutes away. Looking forward to that. Temperence movement and seasick steve amongst others
  • I've been to hundreds of gigs, but never a festival.

Camping, wellies and mud, is nowt to do with music, for me.

this
  • Done Reading festival loads of times.

As much as the idea of a muddy,wet, festival may put people off it's something I would recommend to anyone. Once you're there and stuck in you'll love it.

It's all about the good vibes man, good vibes.
  • Snowbombing x 2
    V fest x 4
    T4 on the beach
    Done the Radio 1 big weekender at Hackney that year too...

All were bloody Epic and i am now gutted that i havent got one planned this summer.
  • Love live music & have seen hundreds of shows over the last 30 years but not a big fan of festivals - have been to Austin Psych Fest down in Texas the last 4 years, but the Friday of this years event summed up why I am not a fan. It pissed down all day, the site turned into a swamp, the bogs were umm bogs & it was generally a miserable experience - give me dry, warm and proper acoustics any day! First festival was the legendary Slough Shoegaze Festival circa 1990 - Ride & Slowdive headlined - ended up sleeping at Gatwick Airport!

My little town has a very neat Folk Festival every year - might pop down this year. Sled Island kicks off as well today in Calgary - this is my cup of tea, lots of interesting bands but they all play venues over town and you can wander from show to show.

• Had the chance to go to Glasto in about '83, but the then girlfriend didn't fancy it, would have liked to at that point just for the experience. Not a chance in hell now unless I was fully VIP'd up...

Had a couple of days at festivals here, one access all areas and free booze, food and a lift home, the other a 5* hotel after the gig.

Other than that, dozens of rockabilly weekenders in hotels or on holiday camps, never a tent.
  • Weather looks crap for The who concert at Hyde Park this Friday. If it wasn't for the fact it's probably the last time I'll see them, I'd sack it off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Weather looks crap for The who concert at Hyde Park this Friday. If it wasn't for the fact it's probably the last time I'll see them, I'd sack it off.

Deep joy! Still you can't get wetter than saturated so I'll be there in my pacamac!
  • bobmunro said:

Weather looks crap for The who concert at Hyde Park this Friday. If it wasn't for the fact it's probably the last time I'll see them, I'd sack it off.

Deep joy! Still you can't get wetter than saturated so I'll be there in my pacamac!
    True, however much it rains, it won't be worse than Yeovil away.
  • I went to Woodstock.

(the film)

Looks like any light rain will stop before they come on.
  • ilovelucy said:

Beegan with the infamous Isle of Wight in 1970. (Shivers up the spine line-up), Weeley in 1971. (More British acts, but equally memorable.)

This. And the Windsor Free Festival, Cambridge Folk Festival, the White Horse? Festival and a load more. But all pre 1980.
  • Boomtown is a good laugh, far less corporate than most nowadays
  • Glynbourne anyone.

How Farm is very civilised.

Saw the Stones at Knebworth in 76?? Worked at Knebworth in 79? Putting up the fences. Turned down tickets to see Zepplin.

Who at the Valley in 76

Much prefer seeing bands in doors.

Rock and roll is dark, sweaty clubs not open fields
  • The best was the first WOMAD that nearly bankrupted Peter Gabriel. Simple Minds, The Beat, Echo and the Bunnymen, Peter Gabriel and the amazing drummers of Burundi. More recently several Latitudes, a couple of V Fests (not camping with Essex man and Woman), a couple of Readings and lots of single days in Hyde Park. At my age On Blackheath is probably for the best. Home by 11 and sleeping in my own bed.

• Rock and roll is dark, sweaty clubs not open fields

Oh yes
  • edited June 2015
    ilovelucy said:

Beegan with the infamous Isle of Wight in 1970. (Shivers up the spine line-up), Weeley in 1971. (More British acts, but equally memorable.)

Probably two of the best festivals of anytime in my opinion... or so I am told
    IOW : the 'English Woodstock', Jimi Hendrix , Chicago, The Doors , The Moody Blues, The Who, Miles Davis, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Jethro Tull, Sly and the Family Stone, Ten Years After, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Free, and of course Rory Gallagher *a mere 680,000 people.
    I of course missed it, getting ready for art college......still most of my friends at the time made it, which made it a whole lot worse.
    Weeley, another bloody 'personal fiasco' had food posioning, Was that not the start of the 'where's Wally' shouted out at every festival for years to come?........
    King Crimson, The Faces, Stone the Crows, and T Rex, although I much preffered in the earlier incarnation......of of course Rory who I think was the only group that played for 2 hours.
    Think I went to all the Hyde Park free festivals, thought that Pink Floyd along with Queen were the best acts.
    *Rory Gallagher's dvd of the IOW festival is out later this year, over an hour was recorded which is something I am really looking forward to, along with a 4 cd of taste later on this year.

• Sponsored links:

• Glynbourne anyone.

How Farm is very civilised.

Saw the Stones at Knebworth in 76?? Worked at Knebworth in 79? Putting up the fences. Turned down tickets to see Zepplin.

Who at the Valley in 76

Much prefer seeing bands in doors.

Rock and roll is dark, sweaty clubs not open fields

Went to Glynbourne once on a freebie. Quite enjoyed it. Wasn't at all stuffy. Plenty there supping ale on the lawn during the interval like me.

Grown to like watching Glasto on the tele these days. However, I've never been and would never go. Can't be dealing with pop/rock artists and their worshippers who take themselves so seriously. Phoney intellectual types who think their music is all profound when they are just banging out the same old chords as previous generations.

Only thing close I've done to a festival was Oasis Maine Rd in '96. Quite memorable, although they were a bit out of tune at times to be honest.
  • ilovelucy said:

Probably two of the best festivals of anytime in my opinion... or so I am told
    IOW : the 'English Woodstock', Jimi Hendrix , Chicago, The Doors , The Moody Blues, The Who, Miles Davis, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Jethro Tull, Sly and the Family Stone, Ten Years After, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Free, and of course Rory Gallagher *a mere 680,000 people.
    I of course missed it, getting ready for art college......still most of my friends at the time made it, which made it a whole lot worse.
    Weeley, another bloody 'personal fiasco' had food posioning, Was that not the start of the 'where's Wally' shouted out at every festival for years to come?........
    King Crimson, The Faces, Stone the Crows, and T Rex, although I much preffered in the earlier incarnation......of of course Rory who I think was the only group that played for 2 hours.
    Think I went to all the Hyde Park free festivals, thought that Pink Floyd along with Queen were the best acts.
    *Rory Gallagher's dvd of the IOW festival is out later this year, over an hour was recorded which is something I am really looking forward to, along with a 4 cd of taste later on this year.

Didn't realise it at the time of course, but I could hardly have begun my festivals with anything better....emotional memories...and yes Ken, you are right, all you herd that Weeley weekend was "Where's Wally"!?!?
  • Love me a festival.

Gottwood last week - small festival in wales only about 500 people, amazing weekend definitely worth a look but all electronic music, about 60 of us got a coach from leeds so music wasn't really that important if im honest.

Glastonbury last year - was working on sound systems but got the whole festival off, 7am take down on the monday wasn't pretty. Would go again in a heartbeat mind.

Bestival last year - chic were the highlight

Roskilde in denmark the year before - 8 days long. brilliant festival, one of the biggest in Europe mostly just danes, all friendly as hell and can drink until the cows come home. Would recommend.

Reading 2010 - remember having a lot of fun but wouldn't go again unless for the day to see a band i really liked, too many lairy 16 year olds for my liking now.

• Carter said:

the price and the bullshit of token only bars and the general rippy offness of everything.

Mate I went to a "festival" in New York a few weeks ago and it was $13 a can of Miller lite
  • So that's about 8 quid a can?

Piss takers

Could you pay cash though?

Miller lite is revolting too
  • never done one. All my mates do them every year but I have never gone.

I think after a season being out most weekends for the football I just like to chill and give my bank balance a rest.
  • Carter said:

So that's about 8 quid a can?

Piss takers

Could you pay cash though?

Miller lite is revolting too

No idea if you could pay cash , I had a free booze wristband :)
  • Hyde Park is the worst venue for a concert or festival
  • brogib said:

Can't make it - I'm at Blues at Moonlight in Benalmadena...

Is Pat Nevin the footballer DJing?