Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What a waste of money!

What past Charlton players do you view as the biggest waste of money spent by the club. It has to be based on a transfer fee, not on what wages the player was earning and not a player in on loan.

Francis Jeffers: 2.6m from Arsenal. Summer of 2004. Played 24 times, scored 5 goals. Let go on a free transfer to Blackburn at the end of the 2005/2006 season. Bar 2 goals in an early league game against Aston Villa, Jeffers flattered to deceive.

Andy Gray: 1.5m from Burnley. January 2008. Played 47 times, scored 9 goals before being sold to Barnsley in August 2009 for an undisclosed fee. Bought by Pardew during the transfer window to push us on back to the Premier League. Ended up relegated to League One 15 months later

Dennis Rommedahl: 2m from PSV Eindhoven. July 2004. Played 84 times, scored 6 goals before being sold to Ajax for £680,000 three years later (July 2007). Bar his goal against Palace and the occasional decent game, it was fair to say that English football did not suit his game.

Amdy Faye: 1.67m from Newcastle United. August 2006. 34 appearances in a Charlton shirt with the one goal away at Portsmouth during the 2006/2007 relegation season. Loaned out to Glasgow Rangers a year later for the season before they had enough of him and sent him back to us after 5 months. Signed for Stoke in August 2008.

That will do for starters. I can think of another dozen that would fall in that bracket, so over to you.

Comments

• Options
    Gary Rowett was insured, hence we didn't lose a great deal of money

Traore and Faye, hands down. Prior to that, Ralph Milne
  • Options
    Andy Gray is a bit of a special case as I believe his wife was very, very ill during his time at Charlton.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Izale McLeod
    Andy Gray
    Luke Varney
    All totally uselss and too much money for championship, big nose prick pardew pattern of shit striker signing.

Traore I though was crap before he came to us but at least he had some credentials when he came.

Faye is probably the worst professional footballer I've seen, awful, awful player and for that resin I'll go for him

I would have stuck with Jeffers for some reason, don't know why but cutbs gave up on him and saved the club some money by not playing himif memory serves correct
  • Options
    Traore, Faye and McLeod.
  • Options
    Barry Endean: 11,111 from Watford. February 1971. 2 goals in 29 games. Sold to Blackburn in October 1971. Charlton bought Eamonn Rogers for 7,777 with Endean going up north.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Andy Gray is one I feel a bit sorry for as he came to us from Burnley, saying "I want to get promoted." The following season, Charlton were relegated and Burnley were promoted.

Obviously he played his part in that, but I always imagine that must have felt really rubbish for him.

Am I empathising too much?
  • Options
    Amdy Faye without a doubt. That man was never meant to be a footballer.
  • Options
    Djimi Traore
  • Options
    I thought it was 3m for Jeffers? Unbelievable.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

What past Charlton players do you view as the biggest waste of money spent by the club. It has to be based on a transfer fee, not on what wages the player was earning and not a player in on loan.

Francis Jeffers: 2.6m from Arsenal. Summer of 2004. Played 24 times, scored 5 goals. Let go on a free transfer to Blackburn at the end of the 2005/2006 season. Bar 2 goals in an early league game against Aston Villa, Jeffers flattered to deceive.

Andy Gray: 1.5m from Burnley. January 2008. Played 47 times, scored 9 goals before being sold to Barnsley in August 2009 for an undisclosed fee. Bought by Pardew during the transfer window to push us on back to the Premier League. Ended up relegated to League One 15 months later

Dennis Rommedahl: 2m from PSV Eindhoven. July 2004. Played 84 times, scored 6 goals before being sold to Ajax for £680,000 three years later (July 2007). Bar his goal against Palace and the occasional decent game, it was fair to say that English football did not suit his game.

Amdy Faye: 1.67m from Newcastle United. August 2006. 34 appearances in a Charlton shirt with the one goal away at Portsmouth during the 2006/2007 relegation season. Loaned out to Glasgow Rangers a year later for the season before they had enough of him and sent him back to us after 5 months. Signed for Stoke in August 2008.

That will do for starters. I can think of another dozen that would fall in that bracket, so over to you.

Oh God, you've committed the Jeffers fee sin. The Jeffers fee sin! You may as well have started a thread about how you were going to meet an old flame in Blackpool who used to do your highlights for you
  • Options
    Jeffers only cost us £600k in the end, the £2.6m was the potential fee including add-ons.

Traore I think we sold for £500k, 6 months after ugly Iain spent £2m on him. I remember looking on the Liverpool and Newcastle message boards when we signed Traore and Faye, similar comments in relation to both, along the lines of:

"£2m - is that what we've paid Charlton to take him off us?!"

"One of the worst players I've ever seen, can't believe we've got a fee for him"

There are unlucky transfers, such as McLeod and Gray, where players arrive with a decent pedigree but don't live up to expectations. Faye and Traore, everyone in football knew they were useless. Absolutely no excuse for spending that sort of money on them. We can only dream of what might have happened if Curbs had been given £12m to spend instead of letting Dowie squander it.
  • Options
    Spent big on Diawara, looked ok but never got that many chances, not sure what we got for him when sold.
  • Options
    Simon Walton was another rubbish Dowie one in that (according to Wiki) we signed him for £500k, then sold him a year later for £200k after he never played a game for us...

Zheng Zhi did OK for us, but financially was another terrible bit of business, sign a guy for £2m, then he leaves on a Bosman 2 years later for nothing
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Barry Endean: 11,111 from Watford. February 1971. 2 goals in 29 games. Sold to Blackburn in October 1971. Charlton bought Eamonn Rogers for 7,777 with Endean going up north.

You beat me too it ,when it cost 2bob to get into amatch 10pence and overall he cost us just under 19000 pounds his return was very limited.One league goal against his old club Watford in The Goaden Jubilee Match was his sad return.
    On the other hand his goal for Watford against Liverpool quarter final fa cup 1-0 win was worth a seasons gate to Watford,did not help in half final against Chelsea losing 1-5.But the goal against Liverpool i will Always remember.
  • Options
    Reza
    Loic Nego
    Piotr Parzyszek
    Lepoint

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Neil Redfearn for £1m. A (non) goal scoring midfielder whose legs had completely gone.
  • Options
    In the context of our wealth (or lack thereof) at the time Terry Bullivant.
  • Options
    Andy Jones from Port Vale. Was quite a lot of money for us at that time.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

No one has said

Marcus Bent!!

I was scrolling down thinking how has no one said that waste of space's name yet?
  • Options

Neil Redfearn for £1m. A (non) goal scoring midfielder whose legs had completely gone.

I remember talking to a Barnsley supporter about him at the time and we agreed that he was the sort of playing who looked good on the 2 minute round up our games would get on MOTD, as inevitably he'd have a couple of decent shots, as those short highlight reels miss out the large periods of the game in which he would contribute very little!
  • Options
    Yassin Moutaouakil?
  • Options

I remember talking to a Barnsley supporter about him at the time and we agreed that he was the sort of playing who looked good on the 2 minute round up our games would get on MOTD, as inevitably he'd have a couple of decent shots, as those short highlight reels miss out the large periods of the game in which he would contribute very little!
    Just quickly looked Redfearn up on Wikipedia, as I remembered him scoring a lot of goals during Barnsley's relegation - turns out it was only 10, but he was their top scorer.

What has fascinated me is the club-hopping in the latter stages of his career.
    Between 2006-2008, he played for Scarborough, Bradford Park Avenue, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Frickley Athletic, Bridlington Town, Emley and Salford City. As well as managing Scarborough, Northwich Victoria and York City.

That is the busiest two years imaginable.