Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What a waste of money!

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015

I still find Yassin Moutaouakil one of the most confusing players in recent memory. When he started he was absolutely fantastic, I thought he was going to be something really special. He was apparently wanted by Premier League and top European clubs but we got him, he played well, got a bit injured and then was essentially never seen again. Add to that the rumours about his fondness for certain youth players' mothers and I remain completely in awe of his time at Charlton. What the hell happened?

I never managed to work out if we got fooled by agent talk about all those other "top clubs" being interested in him or if he is just one of those players with plenty of talent but a terrible attitude plus lack of commitment to really make the most of that talent.
  • Options
    My memory of Jeffers is of him scoring two good goals to beat Villa then starting on the bench in the next game. Curbs must have had his reasons but as an outsider that hardly seemed to be good man-management.

Rommedahl is a funny one. Kind of does qualify as a waste of money for what he achieved with us but agree that he was rarely played to his strengths. That start to the season with Murphy, Bent and Smertin where we won the first 5 games (I think) was his best spell for us because Murphy was able to put through passes that allowed him to use his pace.

Faye and Traore were poor but surely Pouso must win?! Played a total of half a game and just sat in midfield, watching the game go by.
  • Options
    Martin Christensen.
  • Options

Faye and Traore were poor but surely Pouso must win?! Played a total of half a game and just sat in midfield, watching the game go by.

Wash your mouth out!
  • Options

Wash your mouth out!
    Lol. Sorry Omar :)
  • Options

Pouso was only on a season-long loan though so I don't think he comes close to some of the aforementioned catastrophic failures.
  • Options
    Mr Chris Powell
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Mr Chris Powell

£800k for a waster who had no right foot. Derby mugged us.

• Options
    edited June 2015

My memory of Jeffers is of him scoring two good goals to beat Villa then starting on the bench in the next game. Curbs must have had his reasons but as an outsider that hardly seemed to be good man-management.

I remember him looking quite good early on and linking well with Danny Murphy but think he was a victim of Curbs move to a 5 man midfield to accommodate Murphy's wandering tendencies.

For me its Endean or Milne - the latter signing was particularly galling as we sold our captain and talisman Mark Aizlewood to fund squad improvements and splashed over half of it on the overweight useless winger from Scotland!

• Options

This 100%, thought it was odd at the time and he never really done much after

Rommedahl is a funny one. Kind of does qualify as a waste of money for what he achieved with us but agree that he was rarely played to his strengths. That start to the season with Murphy, Bent and Smertin where we won the first 5 games (I think) was his best spell for us because Murphy was able to put through passes that allowed him to use his pace.

Fck mine, Rommedhal (we played him wrong as he proved when he left) Smertin, Murphy, Bent, potentially Van Bomml, Kezman, Scott Brown that summer,............ sigh, seems like light years ago :(

Didn't cost anything though I don't think.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't we pay a 1m pound loan fee for Pouso? If so, I still think that stands out as shocking value for money. At least Traore gave us some comedy value with that penalty he conceded against Liverpool (!) with that flying kick in the area!
  • Options
    Steve Waggot
  • Options
    Cory Gibbs
    Karim Bagheri

• Options
    Tony Towner
  • Options

What about Jimmy Floyd Haselbaink. Arrived about 6 stone overweight and had the pace of a hedgehog. Spent the entire game moaning at other team-mates. Totally useless and a waste wages.

Yep that's my pick. There may not have been a big fee but I'm sure his wages must have been eye watering. Money for old rope!
  • Options
    Allan Simonsen?
  • Options
    edited June 2015

What about Jimmy Floyd Haselbaink. Arrived about 6 stone overweight and had the pace of a hedgehog. Spent the entire game moaning at other team-mates. Totally useless and a waste wages.

Yep that's my pick. There may not have been a big fee but I'm sure his wages must have been eye watering. Money for old rope!
    Jog my memory, but I think Murray signed Haselbank before we had a manager appointed (Dowie) and I heard £60,000 a week, but I am probably wrong
  • Options

Allan Simonsen?

Did you ever see him play? brilliant, not his fault our owner did not have the money to pay all of his fee
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Barry Endean: 11,111 from Watford. February 1971. 2 goals in 29 games. Sold to Blackburn in October 1971. Charlton bought Eamonn Rogers for 7,777 with Endean going up north.

Did there use to be a rule that all transfer fees had to be made up of the same number in the seventies?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Allan Simonsen?

There is always one.
  • Options

Didn't we pay a 1m pound loan fee for Pouso? If so, I still think that stands out as shocking value for money. At least Traore gave us some comedy value with that penalty he conceded against Liverpool (!) with that flying kick in the area!

"Under the terms of the deal, Charlton will pay Penarol €500,000 (£337,000) now, and retain the option to purchase the 26-year-old for up to €2,250,000 (£1.515m) after 12 months."

Don't know if we also paid his wages on top of that?
  • Options
    I only said Allan Simonsen in terms of the fact that we couldn't afford him, and that a player as good as him was wasted in an otherwise poor team. Not criticising him at all.
  • Options

I only said Allan Simonsen in terms of the fact that we couldn't afford him, and that a player as good as him was wasted in an otherwise poor team. Not criticising him at all.

£324,000 for someone who played 17 games. As you say it's not his fault what happened off the pitch.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

In the context of our wealth (or lack thereof) at the time Terry Bullivant.

100,000 from Aston Villa. June 1982. Free transfer to Brentford, July 1983. 3 goals in 33 games.
  • Options
    Valley Gold
  • Options
    Polish Pete
  • Options

Polish Pete

He is still going to come good, just like Reza and Tucudean. ;-)

Oh and Nego, he is still ours right?

• Options
    Cory Gibbs, Omar Pouso, Simon Francis, his half brother (whose name I cannot even remember) and the other Alonso all missing in dispatches. It must be possible to put together a team of these ne'er do wells - although I cannot think of a goalkeeper at present!

Neil Redfearn for £1m. A (non) goal scoring midfielder whose legs had completely gone.

I remember talking to a Barnsley supporter about him at the time and we agreed that he was the sort of playing who looked good on the 2 minute round up our games would get on MOTD, as inevitably he'd have a couple of decent shots, as those short highlight reels miss out the large periods of the game in which he would contribute very little!
    Just quickly looked Redfearn up on Wikipedia, as I remembered him scoring a lot of goals during Barnsley's relegation - turns out it was only 10, but he was their top scorer.

What has fascinated me is the club-hopping in the latter stages of his career.
    Between 2006-2008, he played for Scarborough, Bradford Park Avenue, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Frickley Athletic, Bridlington Town, Emley and Salford City. As well as managing Scarborough, Northwich Victoria and York City.

That is the busiest two years imaginable.
    Also worth remembering that Jonah took Halifax Town out of the Football League - perhaps all of these clubs were trying to avoid the curse.
  • Options
    Luke Varney: Bought by Pardew from the third tier Crewe Akexandra in May 2007 for 2m rising to based on appearances. Sold to Derby County in January 2009 for 1m. 10 goals in 61 games.