Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What a waste of money!

Comments

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Luke Varney: Bought by Pardew from the third tier Crewe Akexandra in May 2007 for 2m rising to based on appearances. Sold to Derby County in January 2009 for 1m. 10 goals in 61 games.

Don't understand the stick Varney gets. I quite liked him, hardworker, two goals against Palace. Certainly overpaid for him though, as was the case with a great many of Pardew's transfer. Painfully ironic that we had to sell him for half what Pardew paid for him in order to fund Pardew's severance payment.
  • Options
    Polish Pete and Christiansen were amazingly daft buys. You can at least see what people were thinking of with Traore or McLeod
  • Options
    Pavel Abbot - Whatever he cost and whatever his wages it was too much. In fact he should have been on a pay (us) to play contract.
  • Options
    Great thread - brings back some real horrors.

Can't go past Marcus Bent, c--t of a bloke, c--t of a footballer.

Special mention for Diawara, utterly appalling defender who looked like a drunk Bambi on ice on the ball.

• Options

Special mention for Diawara, utterly appalling defender who looked like a drunk Bambi on ice on the ball.

Yeah and his career really went downhill after leaving us.
    2 French titles
    3 league cups
    2 French FA cups
    Numerous champions league appearance.

He must be gutted he left.

I don't remember him doing to much wrong he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

2 French titles
    3 league cups
    2 French FA cups

I don't remember him doing to much wrong he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    His biggest mistake was wearing those bloody gloves. He would have been cut a lot more slack if he'd looked like a more stereotypical centre half.
  • Options
    In 1987 we signed Port Vale hotshot Andy Jones for £350,000 which was quite a lot of money for us back then. I think I remember him scoring a screamer against Spurs at Selhurst, but he always looked a bit overweight ?
  • Options

In 1987 we signed Port Vale hotshot Andy Jones for £350,000 which was quite a lot of money for us back then. I think I remember him scoring a screamer against Spurs at Selhurst, but he always looked a bit overweight ?

A bit!!!
  • Options
    £100.00 to use Crossbars
  • Options

Am sorry but Dennis Rommedahl wasnt a waste of money... that goal alone makes the £2m fee worth it ;)

I partly think the issue was that he wasnt played correctly, the ball would always go to his feet rather than pinging a ball just behind the defender and letting him use his pace to run on to it

Agree
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Most of Pardew's signings when we got relegated to the Championship. Macloed 2.5m was it? Jesus wept!
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

Most of Pardew's signings when we got relegated to the Championship. Macloed 2.5m was it? Jesus wept!

Izale McLeod bought from MK Dons in August 2007 for 1.1m on a four year contract.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Izale McLeod bought from MK Dons in August 2007 for 1.1m on a four year contract.
    Still a complete waste of money!
  • Options

2 French titles
    3 league cups
    2 French FA cups

Richard Murray doesn't remember him at all !

• Options
    iaitch said:

Spent big on Diawara, looked ok but never got that many chances, not sure what we got for him when sold.

According to Murray we got most of this spend back. As we did with a lot of Dowie's. The bigger financial losses were Pardew's buys.
    Conclusion - our biggest waste of money was Pardew!

• Options
    Djimi Traore at 1p would win it.

With Crossbars at £100 a close second.
  • Options
    Traore is the one that immediately comes to mind for me.
  • Options

2 French titles
    3 league cups
    2 French FA cups

Yes, his stellar performances in France would have been fantastic if we moved the club to Calais and joined Ligue 1.

Sadly, he was signed to play in the English Premier League and was about as convincing as a one legged bloke in an arse kicking contest.
  • Options
    Reading the thread title I thought you had just bought a season ticket.
  • Options
    Christiansen - the only game I saw him in was a pre-season game at the Valley (against Ipswich?) and I don't think he touched the ball. And then later it was rumoured we couldn't afford to play him!
    Hasselbaink - way past his sell by date, what was Dowie thinking?
    Amdy Faye - dreadful; could he even control a ball?
    Marcus Bent - certainly not another Darren!
    Traore - the league cup game alone
    Andy Gray - appeared to be bought on the strength of his two goals against us
    Ralph Milne - is this the bloke that kept falling over?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Was a Murray signing.
  • Options
    Definitely Marcus Bent. If we'd have swapped him for a bag of apples it would have been too much!
  • Options

Was a Murray signing.
    I didn't realise that. Even more peculiar!
  • Options
    Polish Pete, played for 2 mins as sub asgainst Birmingham City,
    forced on Chris Powell by Duchatelet!
  • Options
    Taking everything into consideration (transfer fee + effort on pitch + goals scored + overall corrosive impact on team) it has to be Marcus Bent. I would argue that signing him rather than keeping Bothroyd and playing him in preference to Euell, Jeffers and Lisbie was a huge error.

His career (in which he was relegated from the Premiership with 4 different clubs: Crystal Palace, Ipswich Town, Leicester City and ourselves) seemed to be based on getting himself signed on the highest possible wage, playing a couple of good games early on (he usually scored a blinder of a goal on his debut, did for us and Palace) and then coasting until sold elsewhere. Very cynical.

He cost us more points than he won.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

£2mn for Djimi Traore must be near the top of the list surely?

Afraid so. Hopefully Naby can improve and not be on that list. Polish Pete's 3 minutes were pretty costly as well.
  • Options
    The big signings in our last season in the Prem wasted nearly all our money and got us relegated so Traore has to be up there.

The big signings in our first season down blew the remaining money and consigned us to years of decline and so Varney and Mcleod have to be seen as big wastes of money.

The badly chosen, expensive players in that 2 year period really wrecked us.
  • Options
    Redfearn. Our first million pound player I think. Massive disappointment.
  • Options

2 French titles
    3 league cups
    2 French FA cups

Agreed, I thought he looked pretty good in a dire side.....