Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rolling Stones

Comments

• Options

The ticket prices were totally scandalous. Having watched some clips on youtube there is no way I'd go there, the sound is tinny as hell. Liam Gallagher was very good from all the clips I've seen on youtube.

How were the ticket prices "scandalous"? £60 to stand on the pitch. Sound wasn't tinny but then you weren't there were you?
  • Options
    Sound was "tinny" as you heard it on a phone or laptop...hardly the best sound system in the world
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Riviera said:

The ticket prices were totally scandalous. Having watched some clips on youtube there is no way I'd go there, the sound is tinny as hell. Liam Gallagher was very good from all the clips I've seen on youtube.

How were the ticket prices "scandalous"? £60 to stand on the pitch. Sound wasn't tinny but then you weren't there were you?
    This - although I paid more that £60 - id have paid 5 times what did tbh. The sound wasn’t tinny at all.

Sound was "tinny" as you heard it on a phone or laptop...hardly the best sound system in the world

This.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Getting excited now. I've been strutting round the office, Jagger style, sticking out my lips and doing that wierd clap he does that sort of goes downwards. Better get it out my system or the Mrs will disown me. Again.

Getting visions of Freddie Starr doing his impression from the 70's now !
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Getting excited now. I've been strutting round the office, Jagger style, sticking out my lips and doing that wierd clap he does that sort of goes downwards. Better get it out my system or the Mrs will disown me. Again.

You're not alone - I've just been singing 'Sympathy for the Devil' in the shower!! I'm ok as far as my missus disowning me though - she's been singing 'Brown Sugar' all morning!

Leaving for the station in 15 minutes - coming home to my beloved London.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

McBobbin said:

You're not alone - I've just been singing 'Sympathy for the Devil' in the shower!! I'm ok as far as my missus disowning me though - she's been singing 'Brown Sugar' all morning!

I've got under my thumb stuck in my head. It's a somewhat threatening song to be murmuring under my breath to the secretaries
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

bobmunro said:

McBobbin said:

I've got under my thumb stuck in my head. It's a somewhat threatening song to be murmuring under my breath to the secretaries
    As long as you say Thumb and not Bum by mistake, I’m sure it’ll be fine.
  • Options
    Still not in gold circle ere I come...Flo giving it some inside
  • Options
    Any addicks by area 132
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Waiting for my train at Stratford... That was unbelievable! What a show! I'm aching all over already... God knows how Mick will feel tomorrow :)
  • Options
    Riviera said:

They came on stage at 8.25 and played:

Street Fighting Man
    It's Only Rock and Roll
    Tumbling Dice
    Paint it Black
    Ride Em On Down
    Under My Thumb
    Fool to Cry
    You Can't Always Get What You Want
    Honky Tonk Women
    Before They Make me Run - Keith
    Slipping Away - Keith
    Sympathy for the Devil
    Miss You
    Midnight Rambler
    Start Me Up
    Jumping Jack Flash
    Brown Sugar

Encore

Gimme Shelter
    (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

They were excellent. Better than when I saw them in 1990. Serious echo though and Mick had a dig about it.

That is one hell of a play list. There can't be many (any?) bands that would have songs the quality of Only Rock N Roll, Honky Tonk Woman, Jumping Jack Flash and Brown Sugar and not having them as the encore.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    First time seeing the Stones and I thought they were amazing. For 74 years old they know how to stay active.
    Florence made the hairs on my arms stand up with her voice and was a nice touch for her to sing Wild Horses as a duet with Mick.
    The stadium is breathtaking to look at with that crowd, I’m happy I don’t have to watch football there though.
  • Options
    tom- k said:

First time seeing the Stones and I thought they were amazing. For 74 years old they know how to stay active.
    Florence made the hairs on my arms stand up with her voice and was a nice touch for her to sing Wild Horses as a duet with Mick.
    The stadium is breathtaking to look at with that crowd, I’m happy I don’t have to watch football there though.

Florence was great, loved the wild horses duet
  • Options
    Amazing how this golden generation of musicians.still fill stadiums and arenas,Rod Stewart,Elton John,Eric Clapton,Mark Knopflef and many others,still doing their stuff,wonder haw many of todays younger acts will be around in 40-50 years time.
  • Options

Amazing how this golden generation of musicians.still fill stadiums and arenas,Rod Stewart,Elton John,Eric Clapton,Mark Knopflef and many others,still doing their stuff,wonder haw many of todays younger acts will be around in 40-50 years time.

well it’s different nowadays. Back then you didn’t have as much choice of music to listen to so the bands that did make it big like those above built up big fan bases ect.

Now the internet makes different genres accessible to the masses so everythings more fragmented. Therefore there will not be any huge bands like the stones again ect.
  • Options
    Cant agree about the lack of choice,we had great individuals who are still going,Tom Jones,Cliff Richard,Barry Manilow etc.We also had the likes of Dylan,Elvis is still idolised,We had great guitar players,e.g. Albert Lee,Hendrix,Jimmy Page whos music will never date
  • Options
    Was a fantastic concert. First 3 songs sounded a bit like individuals but after that it all came together and they sounded like they are - the greatest rock band ever.
    From where I was you could not hear Sasha Allen on Gimme Shelter, I was hoping Florence would do it with them ( she has before and it’s fantastic).
    Midnight Rambler was awesome, at the end Jagger sprinted back from the outer stage, that’s after 2 hours, how does he do it?
    Have to admit the Venue was good for a rock concert.
  • Options

Was a fantastic concert. First 3 songs sounded a bit like individuals but after that it all came together and they sounded like they are - the greatest rock band ever.
    From where I was you could not hear Sasha Allen on Gimme Shelter, I was hoping Florence would do it with them ( she has before and it’s fantastic).
    Midnight Rambler was awesome, at the end Jagger sprinted back from the outer stage, that’s after 2 hours, how does he do it?
    Have to admit the Venue was good for a rock concert.

Totally agree - much better than Wembley (new or old).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Second half of the show, with the sun down, the band were fully in their stride and it was the best I've think I've witnessed
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Second half of the show, with the sun down, the band were fully in their stride and it was the best I've think I've witnessed

And brilliant light show eh @McBobbin?
  • Options
    dwbdwb
    edited May 2018
    I was there last night and agree it was a great concert----how Mick charges around like he does for 2 hours is amazing.

I do agree, however, with some people on here who have said the sound was a bit off. It might be because we were in the seats not too far from the rear speakers pointing towards the far end of the stadium. As a result, we were hearing a bit of an echo as we also had the main front speakers blaring out.

Another problem for us was we had to queue for over 30 minutes to pass through the bag checks on bridge 5 before we could enter the stadium so we missed a lot of the Florence and the Machine performance.
  • Options
    There is a serious echo problem and Mick pointed this out after their first number on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

McBobbin said:

And brilliant light show eh @McBobbin?
    It was fantastic. Loved when it went all red during midnight rambler. It was all done to a T
  • Options
    dwb said:

I was there last night and agree it was a great concert----how Mick charges around like he does for 2 hours is amazing.

I do agree, however, with some people on here who have said the sound was a bit off. It might be because we were in the seats not too far from the rear speakers pointing towards the far end of the stadium. As a result, we were hearing a bit of an echo as we also had the main front speakers blaring out.

Another problem for us was we had to queue for over 30 minutes to pass through the bag checks on bridge 5 before we could enter the stadium so we missed a lot of the Florence and the Machine performance.

Looking at the stage, I was to the right in the second row of the lower tier block 111 and pretty much as near as you could get to the stage seated - and I didn’t notice any issues with the sound. In a stadium that size I suppose it’s pretty much impossible to get the sound spot on everywhere.

@McBobbin when you say the best you’ve witnessed, do you mean the best period, or the best of the Stones? I would say yes to the former and the latter. For me, and especially the last hour, it was the greatest live musical performance I have witnessed. I know I’m biased as I consider the boys Gods, but it was faultless for me. How on earth can they still do that?

• Options
    bobmunro said:

dwb said:

Looking at the stage, I was to the right in the second row of the lower tier block 111 and pretty much as near as you could get to the stage seated - and I didn’t notice any issues with the sound. In a stadium that size I suppose it’s pretty much impossible to get the sound spot on everywhere.

@McBobbin when you say the best you’ve witnessed, do you mean the best period, or the best of the Stones? I would say yes to the former and the latter. For me, and especially the last hour, it was the greatest live musical performance I have witnessed. I know I’m biased as I consider the boys Gods, but it was faultless for me. How on earth can they still do that?

It was the only time I've seen the Stones - that last hour was possibly the best live performance I've seen, at least I've never seen much better. There were period during the stone roses at Heaton park (more my era, even if I missed them first time around) and I've been to various gigs and seen festival performances that were awesome (queen's of the stone age at V (must be a Stone theme), Foo fighters, Ash, Cooper Temple Clause (don't laugh... Great live band and the whole audience were crazy)) but this gig was awesome. I grew up on the rolling stones as my parents had the rolled gold album, and know loads of their songs mainly from the 60s like the back of my hand... Ive always wanted to see them. Let's face it, the Stones could have smashed it with the songs they left out - no other band can say that!
  • Options
    It's threads like these that make me feel homesick! Of course the Stones have played Asia many times but getting tickets in Singapore last time was impossible and it was 13 or 14 years ago that I was going to see them in Bangkok only for them to cancel when their equipment got stuck in Mumbai. I haven't seen them since the Steel Wheels tour (89?).

It's not just the Stones; we don't get a lot of live music here (I don't count the numerous, mainly Filipino, cover bands in the bars and clubs, and when someone decent plays I always seem to be unable to go for some reason or other. It seems to be mainly the acts that the youngsters like who come to Asia these days (Bruno Mars, Harry Styles, Ariana Grande and Ed Sheeran for example). Let's hope the Rolling Stones make on last worldwide tour with Bangkok on the agenda.
  • Options
    Unfortunately had a pre booked trip so missed the Olympic stadium gigs. So went to Manchester last night. Absolutely brilliant. Last few years playing better than ever. How they continue to do it I don't know. Last night opened with superb Jumping Jack Flash. The whole 2 hours was great; Midnight Rambler probably the best I've heard without Mick Taylor; A brilliant Sympathy for the Devil; amazing Gimme Shelter. Ears still ringing a bit and legs aching a little.
    Looking forward to Twickenham!