Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fury v Klitschko

Comments

• Options
    Stunned. As stunned as when Honeyghan beat Don Curry. Even though it wasn't good from Klitschko - who looked old and gun shy - Fury fought an exceptional fight. Far, far from the joke he was years ago. I had no clue he had a performance like that in him, and who knew he would ever win a fight on points against the doctor in Germany?

Now looking forward to the prospect of him fighting Joshua - if he can put up a performance like that it'll be a cracking fight.
  • Options
    It's amazing that of all the people who've come to try and beat Klitschko, the one who made it happen is Tyson Fury. He and his camp give off that air of pub brawlers but it was strategy that won. I'm flabbergasted. I never even thought of him as a real 'boxer' but he's shut me up and good on him.

On a separate note. Just read that Fury's dad was jailed in 2011 for gouging a man's eye out. Lovely stuff.

Heavyweight division needed a shake up.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I watched on a moody stream the American coverage. I don't really know boxing, but they talked of two types of punches, jabs, and I presume actual hits. They also talked about Vladimir never going for body shots, and him not really realising the urgency of the situation in the latter rounds. They talked about Tysons game plan which I took to be like grinding out an away draw, with more shots on target than the opposition to get a decision.
    They totted up jabs and hits for each round, and throughout the contest they had Fury in the lead on stats and with their expert scorer guy.
    As I said I don't know about boxing, but I fully expected Fury to be announced as winner even taking into account the point deduction for persistent rabbit punching.

Klitschko relies heavily on his jab. It's not a knockout punch but he's the kind of fighter who lands so many they build up, both points and damage. He keeps people at a distance with it. Fury moved so much, and had arms just as long, so it wasn't an effective approach. Klitschko knew that going in but the real surprise was that he didn't appear to have another plan.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Pretty sure wlad threw the fight away by being too laid back
  • Options
    Still can't quite believe it. Any of it. Even though me and a mate had Fury up by two, we still expected Klitschko to be awarded a dodgy home decision. I thought that if Klitschko left the ring on his feet, he would keep hold of his titles. If anyone genuinely thought Fury would win on points then fair play.

Interesting that even the bookies thought Klitschko would have it sewn up on a biased call. Immediately after the 11th round Fury was still around 2/1 to be announced the winner - crazy when you consider that Klitschko had done nothing for most of the rounds.

So disappointed by Klitschko though, can count on one hand how many times he threw a right. When that's the case, you don't deserve to win any fight.

Cannot think of many other eras where Fury would be a heavyweight world champion but that's not his fault.
  • Options
    Don't underestimate how important the team behind fury were last night and in particular their balls to stand up against camp Klitschko over the underlay foam.

If they had backed down I can almost guarantee Fury would not have kept up his movement in the latter rounds and Wlad would have been able to pick him off with the jab/right cross.

I also could not stand TF but I have to admit he did gradually grow on me and top marks to him for preparing well, managing his strategy and executing it.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
  • Options
    Not sure how much credit the press will give Fury - certainly an amazing story whatever you think of him!
  • Options
    That's was just depressing - Never has a man won the world heavyweight title by doing so little. Fury looked awful in winning and Klitschko seemingly aged over night and took a beating from Father Time. No wonder MMA has killed PPV heavyweight boxing around the world.
  • Options
    Anyone know when the free replays start on Sky? - they still want to charge me 16.99 a day after the fight !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That's was just depressing - Never has a man won the world heavyweight title by doing so little. Fury looked awful in winning and Klitschko seemingly aged over night and took a beating from Father Time. No wonder MMA has killed PPV heavyweight boxing around the world.

It didn't kill heavyweight boxing - Don King did

Never understood the attraction of MMA. I can go and see that live every weekend in any high street anywhere in the land
  • Options

It didn't kill heavyweight boxing - Don King did

Never understood the attraction of MMA. I can go and see that live every weekend in any high street anywhere in the land
    Massively rude discredit to those who not just master one 'skill' but multiple and then are able to mix those skills.
  • Options
    MMA hasn't killed heavyweight boxing as Leroy called out Don King had a lot to do with that and a dearth of talented, exciting fighters did that. The numbers for boxing PPV events absolutely dwarf UFC events. MMA hasn't transcended, in fact think of the biggest MMA event ever and ask yourself if it made it to the back pages of any British newspapers
  • Options
    Mma has gone backwards Imo, I like the sport and got into it at one stage, then it just became same old same old, boxing still excites me any fight I find myself tuning in, last nights was no classic but it certainly was intriguing and engrossing
  • Options
    I couldn't tell you A single MMA fighter but I do know an Irish bird lost the other week.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I watched on a moody stream the American coverage. I don't really know boxing, but they talked of two types of punches, jabs, and I presume actual hits. They also talked about Vladimir never going for body shots, and him not really realising the urgency of the situation in the latter rounds. They talked about Tysons game plan which I took to be like grinding out an away draw, with more shots on target than the opposition to get a decision.
    They totted up jabs and hits for each round, and throughout the contest they had Fury in the lead on stats and with their expert scorer guy.
    As I said I don't know about boxing, but I fully expected Fury to be announced as winner even taking into account the point deduction for persistent rabbit punching.

Are you Steve Bunce?
  • Options
    Makes you feel very old when the Heavyweight Champion of The World is named after a former champion who is younger than yourself!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I couldn't tell you A single MMA fighter but I do know an Irish bird lost the other week.

If you're referring to Ronda, she's American.
  • Options

Did anyone put a bet on Fury?

• Options
    Funny looking back on it. A lot has been made of wlad's right, but if you look at his other fights its relentless jabbing that has thrown opponents. Here he seemed to have his left semi extended, trying to push Fury back, so he couldn't throw it. He's not the type to leap in with a big right, unless his man has been tenderised with some thudding jabs. I wonder if his problems were actually with his left and was using it to fend because there was something damaged there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good call that, there was definitely something not right his attempt to distract with the canvas, hand strapping, gloves etc didn't seem like him,

• Options
    I just thought Tysons tactics made him look like a schmuck not an injury
  • Options
    It beggars belief why Vlad didn't throw his right hand - it's a very heavy right, just look at his knock-out record. The only time he did, he landed in the 12th round and TF was hanging on at the bell.

He now knows that TF can't hurt him and Evens or thereabouts for Klitschko in the rematch is a steal.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    bobmunro said:

It beggars belief why Vlad didn't throw his right hand - it's a very heavy right, just look at his knock-out record. The only time he did, he landed in the 12th round and TF was hanging on at the bell.

He now knows that TF can't hurt him and Evens or thereabouts for Klitschko in the rematch is a steal.

I wouldn't disagree with that IF Klitschko's performance was just a one-off. But he will be 40 by the time the rematch takes place and that can't be a good thing for him. Will be an interesting one for sure.

Even after Saturday, not one firm makes Fury the favourite: http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/tyson-fury-v-wladimir-klitschko/winner
  • Options
    edited November 2015
  • Options
    I don't think Wlad was injured I just think he didn't know what to do with someone who what he needs an opponent to do which is offer little threat and stand still. I'm never going to be Tyson Fury's biggest fan but if there is a rematch he knows he needs to do what he did on Saturday night and Wlad doesn't have a plan B
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

My point made then. I know no MMA fighters although I remember was there a reality show years ago where they fought each other to land a contract?

Or am I thinking of the contender with Sugar Ray Leonard.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

MrOneLung said:

My point made then. I know no MMA fighters although I remember was there a reality show years ago where they fought each other to land a contract?

Was shows for both. The contender boxing series was quality. Peter manfredo subsequently fought Joe Calzaghe and think sakio bika may have also appeared in a later series.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

MrOneLung said:

Rousey has 4 times the amount of followers on Twitter as Fury and Klitschko combined. I don't think you act as a good barometer...