Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fury v Klitschko

Comments

• Options
    Curbey said:

MrOneLung said:

MrOneLung said:

I couldn't tell you A single MMA fighter but I do know an Irish bird lost the other week.

If you're referring to Ronda, she's American.
    My point made then. I know no MMA fighters although I remember was there a reality show years ago where they fought each other to land a contract?

Or am I thinking of the contender with Sugar Ray Leonard.
    Rousey has 4 times the amount of followers on Twitter as Fury and Klitschko combined. I don't think you act as a good barometer...
    But is Twitter? I can name every heavyweight champion of the last 50 years, but I didn't follow any of them on social media.
  • Options

Stunned. As stunned as when Honeyghan beat Don Curry. Even though it wasn't good from Klitschko - who looked old and gun shy - Fury fought an exceptional fight. Far, far from the joke he was years ago. I had no clue he had a performance like that in him, and who knew he would ever win a fight on points against the doctor in Germany?

Now looking forward to the prospect of him fighting Joshua - if he can put up a performance like that it'll be a cracking fight.

The only shock was how bad Klitschko was. Fury is a pig of a man who will be destroyed by Joshua. However, that fight won't happen as Fury will lose the rematch if there is one.
  • Options
    Having listened to what Fury has to say/ sing post-fight, I'm quite keen for someone to land a right on his mouth, one way or another.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I can't name any NFL players and it's never been on the back pages of the newspapers. It must therefore be a niche sport. #CharltonLifeLogic.
  • Options

I can't name any NFL players and it's never been on the back pages of the newspapers. It must therefore be a niche sport. #CharltonLifeLogic.

Well, yes, it is a reasonably niche sport, in the UK. Go to America and it's all over the newspaper and everybody can name the full roster of 50+ players of their favourite team. MMA is definitely a niche sport in this country. Popularity elsewhere doesn't change that, and even in it's biggest market, the US, it's behind Boxing and WWE as spectator fighting sports.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

MrOneLung said:

I couldn't tell you A single MMA fighter but I do know an Irish bird lost the other week.

If you're referring to Ronda, she's American.
    My point made then. I know no MMA fighters although I remember was there a reality show years ago where they fought each other to land a contract?

Or am I thinking of the contender with Sugar Ray Leonard.
    Was shows for both. The contender boxing series was quality. Peter manfredo subsequently fought Joe Calzaghe and think sakio bika may have also appeared in a later series.
    also Ishe smith, k9 Bundrage and Sergio mora won world titles. Alfonso Gomes fought twice for world titles (against Cotto and Alvarez) but lost both
  • Options
    Klitschko taken up rematch clause, fight at some point next year. Date and venue not been announced as of yet.
  • Options
    andyg90 said:

Klitschko taken up rematch clause, fight at some point next year. Date and venue not been announced as of yet.

Fury has mentioned he would like to fight ar Croke Park one day.
  • Options
    Fury will have a fight in England first as his first defence then fight klitchko so I cant see the rematch happening until November/Dec ruling out an open air venue Imo, will be in Manchester id suggest
  • Options
    I'm sure in an interview Fury said the contract had a rematch clause with the rematch in Germany. Although with a mandatory challenger there shouldn't be a rematch clause at all
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2015

I'm sure in an interview Fury said the contract had a rematch clause with the rematch in Germany. Although with a mandatory challenger there shouldn't be a rematch clause at all

He'll be allowed a voluntary defence first before any mandatory so the rematch will almost certainly be his next fight in the summer.

Interestingly, I was talking with Asif Vali last night and he didn't think Klitschko would enforce the rematch clause!
  • Options
    Saw a tape of the fight. Stunning. As in stunningly bad. Is that the state of heavyweight boxing today?
    The best thing about Tyson Fury is he has a great name for a boxer. He deserved to win the fight, as Klitschko fossilised in the ring before our eyes.
    Fury is a tall, awkward giant who was off balance most of the time. No physical definition and doesn't appear to pack much of a punch for someone his size.
    Klitschko was there for the taking, and Fury took him. So credit to him.
    I can't see Fury hanging to the title for very long if he faces any kind of quality opposition. His management should pick some easy marks so he can make some money until he has to fight a mandatory against someone that will beat him.
  • Options

Saw a tape of the fight. Stunning. As in stunningly bad. Is that the state of heavyweight boxing today?
    The best thing about Tyson Fury is he has a great name for a boxer. He deserved to win the fight, as Klitschko fossilised in the ring before our eyes.
    Fury is a tall, awkward giant who was off balance most of the time. No physical definition and doesn't appear to pack much of a punch for someone his size.
    Klitschko was there for the taking, and Fury took him. So credit to him.
    I can't see Fury hanging to the title for very long if he faces any kind of quality opposition. His management should pick some easy marks so he can make some money until he has to fight a mandatory against someone that will beat him.

Ha! You've pretty much summed up Tyson Fury, he was also in the best shape of his career. Deontay Wilder could have a lot of fun with him I've got no doubt. Wilder is also very unorthodox and organic in style but doesn't half hit hard. I haven't seen Fury in against anyone who punches hard enough to trouble him if I'm honest. His toughest fight was against John McDermott when he was young and in my eyes he was very lucky to have gotten the win
  • Options
    Hold on, wilder struggled to a late stoppage win against an overweight full time teacher, who got sparked in the first round by big fat Chris Areola. I quite like his style but he is unproven at best. Other than decent wins against Scott and Stivern he's had two soft defences against guys who were well outside the top 20 he's done the rest of his work against fighters who are not in the top 100 and mostly the top 200. We just don't know what happens if he gets hit back.
  • Options
    I love Fury's lack of media training.....

“I think they’re very nice when they’re walking around that ring holding them cards,” he replies. “I like them actually, they give me inspiration, when I’m tired and I see a good sort walking, wriggling about.”

Fury then claims he is “not a sexist” before going on to say “a woman’s best place is in the kitchen and on their back. That’s just my personal beliefs. Making me a good cup of tea, that’s what I believe.”
  • Options
    As a person, he's everything that is wrong... But I suppose that's helps him being good at hitting people. Still cheered him on against klitschko. Go me.

Changing the subject... Is Wilder any good? And can fury win a rematch
  • Options

“I think they’re very nice when they’re walking around that ring holding them cards,” he replies. “I like them actually, they give me inspiration, when I’m tired and I see a good sort walking, wriggling about.”

Fury then claims he is “not a sexist” before going on to say “a woman’s best place is in the kitchen and on their back. That’s just my personal beliefs. Making me a good cup of tea, that’s what I believe.”

I think his comparing homosexuals and abortion to peadophilia was worse though.
  • Options

I think his comparing homosexuals and abortion to peadophilia was worse though.
    Yeah I'd forgot about those ones. Pretty close to the mark.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

As a person, he's everything that is wrong... But I suppose that's helps him being good at hitting people. Still cheered him on against klitschko. Go me.

Changing the subject... Is Wilder any good? And can fury win a rematch

Not convinced on wilder, he has talent and is very well defined muscle wise,

Personally I think he is beatable, if you go Back to when the heavy weight division was a great division wilder wouldnt be top ten, Fury woukdnt be top twenty

I think wilder can be hit, but as has been said in previous posts no one of any stamp has been in with him really,

Right now I think he would cause AJ a problem, he would hit fury but get hit also, we know fury is prone to taking seriously heavy shots with how he stands in the ring but he has the ability to get over it, wilder it's unknown as to how he would react
  • Options
    Bermane Stiverne was amongst the best of a pretty wooly division and Wilder did a really good job on him for 12 rounds. He's fought mickey mouse fighters since winning the belt ill agree with that. Stylistically he is all over the place but so is Fury. A prime and fit David Haye would finish both of them early but he's got a lot of making up to do in this division
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well, yes, it is a reasonably niche sport, in the UK. Go to America and it's all over the newspaper and everybody can name the full roster of 50+ players of their favourite team. MMA is definitely a niche sport in this country. Popularity elsewhere doesn't change that, and even in it's biggest market, the US, it's behind Boxing and WWE as spectator fighting sports.
    WWE is a theatre show not a sport. You destroyed your own post with that comment.
  • Options
    Already talk of Fury being stripped by the IBF if he fights Klitschko next. His next defence must be against their mandatory challenger, Vyacheslav Glazkov.

Normally, Klitschko's people would have to pay Glazkov a sweetner to step aside but last night TF was pushing for his cousin/brother/lover Hughie 'Lewis' Fury to fight Glazkov for the vacant title.
  • Options
    That fight is way too early for Hughie, he is a decent fighter but nowhere near ready for that
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

WWE is a theatre show not a sport. You destroyed your own post with that comment.
    Disagree. I'll be surprised if UFC is getting lower ratings than WWE which hit a 20 year low last week, whereas UFC has the much hyped Aldo V McGregor this month. It will be interesting to see if the coverage of NFL picks up when London has a franchise, I hope it doesn't!

Anyway Tyson Fury is nominated for sport's personality of the year, who saw that coming?! The funny thing is he would get my vote too! Doubt a boxer will win whilst the BBC doesn't show boxing, unless they achieve something like Calzaghe did.
  • Options
    It can't be easy to make tea whilst lying on your back.
  • Options
    Is Andy Murray up for Sports Personality of the Year? And the Davis Cup team up for Team of the Year?
  • Options
    Fury stripped of his IBF title 10 days after winning it.
    Politics in boxing are a joke.
  • Options

Fury stripped of his IBF title 10 days after winning it.
    Politics in boxing are a joke.

Beat me to it. Perhaps the people who run it could do a swop with FIFA - no-one would notice.
  • Options
    He may have been stripped of a belt unfairly, but I've no problem with that. The bloke's an idiot, a truly horrible person. I look forward to seeing someone, anyone knock him on his fat arse for the remaining belts.