Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Taxi_Lad said:

Taxi_Lad said:

I’m play at The London Club Saturday 11:45

Guess I better leave a bit earlier!!

Edit: scrub that, just read closure is next weekend not this.

I'm there too on Saturday, and teeing off at a similar time!
    Heritage or International? We’re on the Heritage.
    I’ll be wearing a bright green top (vilamoura old course logo). Say hello if you see me
    Blimey you were prepared! Great course The Old Course.

@Addickted2TheReds scored 36 points of the whites today with some 300 + drives - impressive !

How did you get on @Taxi_Lad ?
  • Thought the over-night M2 closures had stopped. Apparently not!
  • BR3red said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Taxi_Lad said:

I’ll be wearing a bright green top (vilamoura old course logo). Say hello if you see me

@Addickted2TheReds scored 36 points of the whites today with some 300 + drives - impressive !

bandit !!
  • BR3red said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Taxi_Lad said:

bandit !!
    Lol - his best score there! He played very well.

His 12 year old brother however off 31 scored 39! ( reds)

Repeat: London Club too tough for you @golfaddick ?? ;-)
  • Ps. Pretty sure this is not the right thread for this!

Is there a "we are a bit shite" golf thread?

If not I will volunteer ...
  • BR3red said:

Ps. Pretty sure this is not the right thread for this!

Is there a "we are a bit shite" golf thread?

If not I will volunteer ...

It's all good as long as it's about driving in Kent.
    Just don't mention putting. ;)
  • BR3red said:

BR3red said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Taxi_Lad said:

bandit !!

Yes, probably. Read the other golf thread. My official handicap at best was 18......and that was based at Barnehurst (a very short par 68 course). Around any course over 6200 yards then I'd be lucky to break 100. But of course its easy to rock up at a corporate do & play off 26 & score 36 pts+ as I've witnessed many times. Not saying your 2 did that but I do find it incredulous that anyone playing off an official handicap higher than say 10 or 12 could play the London & shoot level par. Obviously in this weather the ball was probably running for miles....knowing my luck it would run into one of the many bunkers or lakes....
  • BR3red said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Taxi_Lad said:

bandit !!
    Played off 20, shot 92 and got 36 points... surely the opposite of a bandit?! :-)
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Didn't see this before I went up there mate - how did you go?

Played the international today, although I prefer the heritage. (Mainly because I seem to do better around there!)

You can only blame the old man for booking the public course even though we are members, I suppose! :-)
  • @golfaddick

Should also say that my handicap is based on playing at the London Club due to being members - should probably be less on an easier track.
  • Sponsored links:

• BR3red said:

BR3red said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Taxi_Lad said:

bandit !!

?!?!?!?!

Fluked an 89 on the Heritage once!!!
  • I went to the London club about 10 years ago for the European open, the wind got up and Sergio and the rest had a real struggle - in fact the aforementioned Spaniard clobbered someone in the crowd going for the green.Tough course, one of Jack Nicklaus's I think.
  • Heavy traffic on A249 due to Little Mix concert at County Showground this evening. Best to avoid when the concert finishes and 30,000 people all leave the site at the same time!
  • Heavy traffic on A249 due to Little Mix concert at County Showground this evening. Best to avoid when the concert finishes and 30,000 people all leave the site at the same time!

I hate attending events there, genuine nightmare getting away from it if going the A249 way and not much more fun going the other way
  • 3blokes said:

A warning for next weekend. From 10pm Friday 27th July until 6am Monday 30th July the idiots who run our highways have decided to close the M20 in both directions between Junctions 4 and 6. The diversion is via the A228, M2 and A229 Bluebell Hill.

This means that on one of the busiest weekends of the year at the start of the school holidays, the two motorways to Europe will both be gridlocked, as will the whole of Maidstone and Medway and probably a whole lot more of Kent.

I cannot think of a worse weekend for this closure. I'm sure the idiots at Highways England try to find the worst possible time to close motorways.

Thanks for the warning. I'm at a car show in Bearsted next Sunday, will have to try and sort out an alternative route.
    We are planning to go to that as well but we can walk there. The knock on effect of this closure will make all roads extra busy as people follow their Sat nav to avoid the chaos. All junctions along the diversion will be unable to cope with the extra traffic.
    I need to get there early to have the car in place before it opens so will hopefully miss a lot of the traffic. Better give myself plenty of time though.
    What car is it, Dave? We’re planning to go to that :smile:
    MGB. If you're planning to attend in a classic, you'll need to contact the organiser as spaces are limited and often sells out. I can send you the details if you need.
    Don’t think I’ll be there now. Took it out for a spin this morning and heard a rattling from underneath that I thought was a loose exhaust clamp. Got it home and the bloody anti roll bar mount has sheared off. The guy I’d usually use for welding is on holiday.
  • 3blokes said:

A warning for next weekend. From 10pm Friday 27th July until 6am Monday 30th July the idiots who run our highways have decided to close the M20 in both directions between Junctions 4 and 6. The diversion is via the A228, M2 and A229 Bluebell Hill.

This means that on one of the busiest weekends of the year at the start of the school holidays, the two motorways to Europe will both be gridlocked, as will the whole of Maidstone and Medway and probably a whole lot more of Kent.

I cannot think of a worse weekend for this closure. I'm sure the idiots at Highways England try to find the worst possible time to close motorways.

Thanks for the warning. I'm at a car show in Bearsted next Sunday, will have to try and sort out an alternative route.
    We are planning to go to that as well but we can walk there. The knock on effect of this closure will make all roads extra busy as people follow their Sat nav to avoid the chaos. All junctions along the diversion will be unable to cope with the extra traffic.
    I need to get there early to have the car in place before it opens so will hopefully miss a lot of the traffic. Better give myself plenty of time though.
    What car is it, Dave? We’re planning to go to that :smile:
    MGB. If you're planning to attend in a classic, you'll need to contact the organiser as spaces are limited and often sells out. I can send you the details if you need.
    Don’t think I’ll be there now. Took it out for a spin this morning and heard a rattling from underneath that I thought was a loose exhaust clamp. Got it home and the bloody anti roll bar mount has sheared off. The guy I’d usually use for welding is on holiday.
    Probably for the best @DaveMehmet as it's going to be gridlock in the Maidstone and Medway areas. Traffic diverted up and down Blubell Hill and will have to filter into just one lane to leave and rejoin at Junction 6 of the M20. The M2 won't cope either if traffic goes that way, as much of it is 2 lanes only.
  • @Addickted2TheReds @BR3red

Really enjoyed the day although a combination of some iffy short game and a penchant for dumping it in the water whenever possible meant score crept up to a very forgettable 96.
    Impressed by the hi-tech buggies

Like the course a lot. And it was a freebie on a friend of a friend’s corporate membership :smile:
  • Good news the Highways Authorities have seen sense and cancelled this weekend's closure of the M20. There will still be some lane closures but that's nothing new.

Reason given is the high traffic volumes and high temperatures. Traffic volumes were always going to be high and it appears they've only just realised that.! Couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery.
  • Good news the Highways Authorities have seen sense and cancelled this weekend's closure of the M20. There will still be some lane closures but that's nothing new.

Reason given is the high traffic volumes and high temperatures. Traffic volumes were always going to be high and it appears they've only just realised that.! Couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery.

I get you are pissed off at the HA given where you live but they can't do right for doing wrong. The M20 is going to need a few closures not least because of that bridge needing to be replaced and all the other bollocks required to turn it into a dangerous and exciting smart motorway. There are chunks of the M2 and M20 that are in awful states of repair and will need sorting as well. I agree with you, they've seen sense this time but logistically I don't envy them as the amount of moving parts they need in place to get work done under a closure is substantial
  • I live just off j4 I get they need to do the work , but the road signs say they will finish in 2020 !!! How the hell does it take 2 years to do 3 junctions !!! I travel to and from j4 between 7-8 am & 5-6 pm As an average (some times earlier and later) every day and I have yet to see a single person working on the road ! ( it was the same when they did the road works last year) no wonder it’s taking that long , it seems they are working 6-8 hours a day at most. They have coned off miles of the m20 just in case they work on it in the next 2 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's a shame they didn't plan for the increase in traffic volumes when they widened the M20 in the early 90s. I was travelling from Medway to Tonbridge every day whilst they did that work and remember getting frustrated at the miles of roadworks with no-one working. Things don't change.
  • Funkrat said:

I live just off j4 I get they need to do the work , but the road signs say they will finish in 2020 !!! How the hell does it take 2 years to do 3 junctions !!! I travel to and from j4 between 7-8 am & 5-6 pm As an average (some times earlier and later) every day and I have yet to see a single person working on the road ! ( it was the same when they did the road works last year) no wonder it’s taking that long , it seems they are working 6-8 hours a day at most. They have coned off miles of the m20 just in case they work on it in the next 2 years.

I am not sticking up for them here

The amount of legislation around working on motorways is huge, the traffic management spend alone will be phenomenal, there are restrictions left right and centre and whilst all this is being resolved all manmer of different contractors are being held on a promise as to when work starts, when work can be done, lots of consultations take place and things need to be set up. As a user of the M20 I am not happy about this, just trying to keep you in the picture about the full picture. Trust me they'd love to just crack on and smash work out however there is never really a good time especially with the M20 being one of the most crucial routes in the country.

Even after all that, if crested newts or any other endangered British wildlife is discovered on site or within the elipse of the site work stops.

I don't like smart motorways and think they are dangerous, the problem is more capacity is needed every month on our motorways and smart motorways seem to be the vogue solution.

In regards to people working, there is only so much resource as well. How many of you fancy going to work every day or night and operating machinery or digging, moving and cutting with 25 tonne vehicles going past you at 50mph? These blokes travel all over the country and from looking at the shortages of skilled people coming through, work like this isn't going to be resourced any quicker as people get older, get fed up of the work, go back home to work.

I'd guess 80% of the posters on this forum do exclusively desk based work. Which isn't a move, it's just me seeing where youngsters want to work and it isn't in the freezing cold, dirty, pissing wet British winter, or the dusty, humid, stinking and also dirty, British summer. Or to do any of that at night. Couple this with contractors always looking to drive down rates for the workers and you start to think it isn't worth the aggro
  • Kent in chaos this morning. M20 closed Eastbound between J4 & J5. Maidstone gridlocked, Medway gridlocked, M2 gridlocked. I just tried to get out of my drive and traffic not going anywhere.
  • Kent in chaos this morning. M20 closed Eastbound between J4 & J5. Maidstone gridlocked, Medway gridlocked, M2 gridlocked. I just tried to get out of my drive and traffic not going anywhere.

90 minutes and counting to go from Snodland to Dartford. Absolute carnage

Is your house on the motorway then ??

Is your house on the motorway then ??
    No it's on A20 at Bearsted. I have never seen so much red on Googlemaps or AA Travel News map.

Highways England must look at the M20 roadworks set up as there have been so many accidents since the roadworks started. I know there are a lot of idiots of the roads, but the lanes are so narrow and barely accommodate the huge HGVs. Most of the foreign HGVs don't stick to the speed limit because they know the fines won't be enforced.
  • edited October 2018
    Left home about half an hour ago, went about 100 yards along the Sutton Road and turned back. Pointless.

Can't wait to move back out of Maidstone
  • Am in India at the moment, and all I will say is, you don't know how good we have it in the UK!