Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Should be another morning of joy for those travelling from Kent into Essex.

Another lorry jacknifed around 2AM this morning on the M25 anti-clock between jctns 30 & 29.
    Road closed and expected to be for some time.
    I sincerely hope they have the driver investigated for dangerous driving.

Another lorry jacknifed around 2AM this morning on the M25 anti-clock between jctns 30 & 29.

Thanks for the heads up- looks appalling already
  • Addickted said:

Think I may take next week off work.

https://www.downsmail.co.uk/news_sport/News/M20_disruption_predicted_over_next_week_for_works_-_FULL_DETAILS/

M20 junctions 3 to 5, Maidstone Kent: Smart Motorways
    Work to improve journeys continues this week on the M20 between junctions 3 and 5. On Monday 5 November there will be a full closure of the westbound carriageway between junctions 4 and 2 for four nights between 8pm and 6am. A clearly signed diversion will be in place via the A20. On Friday 9 November there will be a full closure of the eastbound carriageway between junctions 4 and 6 for two nights between 8pm and 6am. A clearly signed diversion will be in place via A229, M2, A228. Narrow lanes and a reduced speed limit of 50mph remain in place 24/7. A free recovery service and speed enforcement are now in place to ensure drivers and road workers safety.

M20 junctions 9 to 11, Kent: Junction 10a Construction
    Work to improve the network continue this week on the M20. There are currently 24 hour lane closure and 50mph speed restriction in place in both directions between junctions 9 and 11. This will remain in place until January 2020.

M20 junctions 8 to 9, Kent: resurfacing
    Work to improve the network take place this week on the M20. There will be a full eastbound carriageway closure between junction 8 and 9 on Monday 5 November for six nights between 8pm and 6am. A clearly signed diversion will be in place via A249, M2, A2, A20 and M20.

M20 junctions 9 to 7, Kent; road surface repairs
    Work to improve journeys continue this week on the M20. There are currently 24 hour narrow lanes in place, and a 50mph speed restriction on the westbound carriageway between junctions 9 and 8. In addition, there will be a full westbound closure between junction 9 and 8 on Monday 5 November for six nights between 8pm and 6am. A clearly signed diversion will be in place via A28 and A20.

On top of that, they have decided it would be a fantastic time to also fuck around on the M2:

https://kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/full-closures-set-for-m2-191515/

The M2 London-bound between J3-2 and the J2 off-slip will be closed from 8pm to 6am between Monday, October 29 and Saturday, November 3.

There'll be disruption until 8am on Friday, November 2, due to lane one being closed between junctions 3 and 2 westbound and the exit slip being shut at 2.

Lanes one and two between junctions 3 and 1 will be closed from 8pm to 6am every day from Friday, November 2, to Sunday, November 4. Lane one at junction 2 will also be closed between 8pm and 6am from Tuesday, November 13 to Thursday, November 15.

Lanes two and three of the M2 London-bound between J2-3 will be closed from 6am to 8pm between Sunday, November 4 and Tuesday, November 13.

Junction 2-3 of the M2 coast-bound and the J2 on-slip is closed between 8pm to 6am from Tuesday, November 20 to Friday, November 23.

In their letter Highways England said there will "inevitably be some noise and disruption" generated by these works, which they apologised for.

They also wrote that "every effort has been made to ensure disruption to nearby residents is kept to a minimum."

Highways England have been contacted for further information.

The westbound motorway will be fully closed between junction 4 and 3 from 8pm to 6am between Friday, November 2 and Sunday, November 5 and again between Tuesday, November 13 and Thursday, November 15.

Lane three of the westbound carriageway at junction 3 will be closed between 8pm and 6am on Wednesday, November 13.

It will also be closed from 3 to 2 from Wednesday, November 14 to Friday, November 16, on Friday, November 23 to Saturday, November 24 and from Monday, December 3, to Thursday, December 6.

There will also be closures on the westbound carriageway between junction 4 and 2 between 8pm and 6am from Wednesday, November 14, to Thursday, January 24 and between junctions 4 and 3 from 9pm on Tuesday, October 30 to 6am on Thursday, November 15.

Taken the missus an hour to get from Strood to Bluewater so far, left at 6.30am - she’s going to Canary Wharf & the A2 is knackered up to Dartford Heath & probably further - never thought I’d get to the point where I hate a road, but i do, the A2 is a dreadful, dreadful road - it’s the Simon Jordan of the road network.
  • M20 was closed between 9 and 7 London bound last night as well as being closed from 8 to 9 coastbound.

Had another hellish night as the traffic was diverted along A20 Ashford Road, Bearsted; a road which is normally quiet at night. Constant stream of HGVs along the road all night long, making the house shake as they pass. Highways England really don't think of those living along the diversions at all.

Taken the missus an hour to get from Strood to Bluewater so far, left at 6.30am - she’s going to Canary Wharf & the A2 is knackered up to Dartford Heath & probably further - never thought I’d get to the point where I hate a road, but i do, the A2 is a dreadful, dreadful road - it’s the Simon Jordan of the road network.
    So the orange glow that I see in the morning driving down the A2 isn't coming from the sun?

So the orange glow that I see in the morning driving down the A2 isn't coming from the sun?
    Ha! Nope, it the Jordan highway or the missus has been on the sunbeds
  • Have moved from Bexley to Chislehurst and now when I have to use the A2 i notice exactly how bad it is.

It's a nightmare pretty much all the time in both directions from Falconwood to Gravesend. Often further.

It's not fit for purpose.

Throw in the M25 and the M20 near Maidstone and our "area" really is becoming a nightmare.

If i go to Bluewater, I generally use the back roads, if i go west, i generally go through Orpington to Junction 4 for the M25.

Took me 2 hours to get home from Dover a few weeks ago.
  • Got caught in a closure on the M2 westbound last night after a bad accident just as the roadworks start before the Medway bridge. Looked nasty. We lost an hour but a few other people were having the worst night of their lives so I hope they are ok.
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

Anyone who hogs the middle lane should be put up against a wall and shot.

Vote for me and I'll make it law.

I often think they should invent a sensor so that if your a middle lane hogger an arm comes out of the road and throws the vehicle hard on to the hard shoulder and beyond... I imagine it being quite expensive and see it taking up the majority of the Government budget though so wont be surprised if the people vote for you Greenie rather than me
  • edited November 2018

Greenie said:

I often think they should invent a sensor so that if your a middle lane hogger an arm comes out of the road and throws the vehicle hard on to the hard shoulder and beyond... I imagine it being quite expensive and see it taking up the majority of the Government budget though so wont be surprised if the people vote for you Greenie rather than me
    What with all the smart cameras on the motorway they dont need coppers to enforce the law, they have the technology, the roadside tax collected would be astronomical.
    One in three drivers admit to hogging the middle lane, thats a lot of arseholes, yet only 135 have been convicted since 2013??

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3792498/Just-135-fines-issued-middle-lane-hogging.html
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

What with all the smart cameras on the motorway they dont need coppers to enforce the law, they have the technology, the roadside tax collected would be astronomical.
    One in three drivers admit to hogging the middle lane, thats a lot of arseholes, yet only 135 have been convicted since 2013??

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3792498/Just-135-fines-issued-middle-lane-hogging.html
    Didnt realise that either... Get smart cameras on the bloody A2 NOW... I swear I'm already on the continent once the A2 goes to four lanes past Bluewater as lanes three and four are jammed compared to the rest
  • edited November 2018
    Took me 2 and a half hours to get through the Dartford tunnel on Saturday. Joined the queue at 1130 and came out the other side at 2pm. Evidently, They closed the right hand bore for emergency repairs. And they have the audacity to charge you for that.
  • _MrDick said:

Took me 2 and a half hours to get through the Dartford tunnel on Saturday. Joined the queue at 1130 and came out the other side at 2pm. Evidently, They closed the right hand bore for emergency repairs. And they have the audacity to charge you for that.

Looked just as bad yesterday. Queues back to J3 from the tunnel by about midday on Sunday.
  • _MrDick said:

Not only do they charge you but if you have an account with them, they send you low balance emails when the amount falls below £10, so £9 in the account still gets you over & back 4 times but apparently it’s below the minimum level.

• _MrDick said:

Not only do they charge you but if you have an account with them, they send you low balance emails when the amount falls below £10, so £9 in the account still gets you over & back 4 times but apparently it’s below the minimum level.

Not to mention if you have about -2p in your account you cant just add a couple of quid to get it back above the negative amount yet have to add £10 to correct it
  • The road network, especially in this part of the country is at Fuc*ing crisis point! This is becoming an all too much DAILY occurance.

I'm telling you now, at the rate in which vehicles on the road are increasing you will not be able to get out of the end of your road in 15 years time!

You'll be pleased to know that your government and highways England haven't got the first f***ing clue on how to solve it.
  • The road network, especially in this part of the country is at Fuc*ing crisis point! This is becoming an all too much DAILY occurance.

I'm telling you now, at the rate in which vehicles on the road are increasing you will not be able to get out of the end of your road in 15 years time!

You'll be pleased to know that your government and highways England haven't got the first f***ing clue on how to solve it.

Just takes one idiot to cause an accident on the M25 or the Blackwall Tunnel approach and the whole of SE England comes to a standstill. Impatient drivers are a menace

This Country is getting too over populated and the traffic has got a lot worse over the last 10 years as I’ve been using the same route to work.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

Carter said:

Carter said:

A2 is certainly one of the worst roads for driving on not just for traffic but for lane discipline

Drove down to Cornwall and back last year and the road were lovely the way people drove, was back on the A2 for five minutes coming home and it was a free for all

Lane discipline is a huge problem in the UK. I try my hardest not to let it annoy me but it's so fucking dangerous and hardly anyone who does it, does so ignorantly. Loads of my mates are atrocious for it I have given up telling them to move over to the left now. I'd dearly love the police to start making good their claim a few years ago they were going to crack down on it. As lazy it would be to blame it on foreign drivers I apportion a bit of blame to the volume of African uber and Addison Lee drivers who might as well petition Higways England to name the middle lane of the M20, A2 and M25 after them. It's not exclusively our foreign brethren however, the problem is a British one. Go to France, Belgium or Germany and the lane discipline is something to behold. Move out to overtake a line of traffic leave your left indicator on and the real headcases doing 120 know to ease off and let you overtake and move back over

Its bad of me too these days yet majority of the time I'll just undertake someone if I'm going past them on the A2... Dangerous in itself I know but keep a very cautious eye on whether they're tempted to come over (99% of the time they dont though) - What was worse coming home from work today was at the bottom of Swanscombe Cutting where a learner was in the second lane and doing about 50mph, wasnt close to overtaking someone and you had to question why the instructor hadn't told them to move over
    That's what makes me so angry, the driver doing the correct thing ends up doing something dangerous or has to change from lane 1 to 3 maintaining the same speed to get round some handpump mincing along in the middle lane

You are doing nothing wrong mate but I understand and appreciate what you are saying

The A2 is appalling for this sort of driving menace
    If I remember the rules right arent you allowed to undertake provided that the car your undertaking is doing less than the speed limit?

But Im definitely not going from 1 to 3 and back to 1 again because thats how the bottlenecks get created
    Only allowed in slow moving/queuing traffic.
    No, it’s allowed at any time. It’s not classed as undertaking unless the car being undertaken is doing the speed limit.

Quite simply it is unsolvable. We are a small, vastly overpopulated island, where many families now have at least two cars. Kids don't walk to school anymore which adds to the traffic chaos in the mornings and early afternoons. The public transport system is awful- and underused. The slightest accident completely gridlocks the surrounding areas for hours. Non-stop motorway repairs - due to the fact when they were built they were already out of date and not constructed properly. Get used to it people, it's only going to get worse!
  • Another bad day for accidents on Kent's roads.

People travelling to the match via the A20 will have problems as the following taken from AA travel website:

Road closed and queueing traffic due to serious multi-vehicle accident on A20 Westbound from M25 J3 (Swanley Interchange) to B2173 Maidstone Road (Swanley West). Congestion to J4 (Orpington). Emergency services continue to work at the scene, Traffic officers confirm that there has been damage to barriers which will need repairing. The westbound remains closed and the eastbound has re-opened.

Highways England website states that A20 likely to be closed until 8.30 this evening as a result of the above.
  • Driving along the orpington bypass earlier in pouring rain and an absolute cnut overtook me at about 70 mph.
    I was fuming. Honestly if he crashed his car a little bit further ahead I think I might of stopped to punch him in the face on my way past.
    Absolute prick.

Some people seem to think that you can drive exactly the same whatever the weather and conditions.
  • Driving along the orpington bypass earlier in pouring rain and an absolute cnut overtook me at about 70 mph.
    I was fuming. Honestly if he crashed his car a little bit further ahead I think I might of stopped to punch him in the face on my way past.
    Absolute prick.

Some people seem to think that you can drive exactly the same whatever the weather and conditions.
    Unfortunately this is very true.
    Absolute prick.

Was you reminiscing about the seventies or did it really happen.
  • Acab said:

Driving along the orpington bypass earlier in pouring rain and an absolute cnut overtook me at about 70 mph.
    Absolute prick.

Was you reminiscing about the seventies or did it really happen.
    You was there as well so you tell me.

See you Saturday birthday boy
  • edited November 2018
    Tried a detour along Canada heights and ended up directing traffic. Never seen it that bad in 14 years. The whole area is going to be grid lock in a couple of years, maybe it already is 😐
  • DA9DA9
    edited November 2018
    Not Kent, but I was the first vehicle stopped on the A13 junction heading towards the Dartford bridge, two fire engines, 2 ambulances, loads of traffic officer vehicles.
    Could see a Wincaton lorry that looked like it had struck the A13 fliyover, but once we were released to join the A13 eastbound to reroute via Thurrock, saw a small silver car absolutely crushed and spun around facing the wrong way, bollard or lamp post had been taken out in the impact, cutting equipment being used, pray to god they got out alive.