Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Been taking the kids to school this week as they have been staying at mine. Borough Green to Sevenoaks. 6 mile journey which outside of rush hour is 15 mins, but can be as much as 20 due to Seal & traffic lights at Trinity School & Bat & Ball. In rush hour over the past couple of years it has taken around 30 mins.

This week has been a bloody nightmare ...culminating in today taking 55 mins. Almost an hour to do 6 miles. This is the A25. No reason for the delay. No breakdowns...no accidents....no tempary traffic lights or lorries on double yellows. Just too much traffic.

And some prople want us to continue with open borders & free movement of goods & services. I have news for them. There aint any fucking movement. We have reached gridlock.

Borough Green, Seal, Sevenoaks aren't exactly hives of EU immigrants. I imagine the traffic chaos is largely thanks to the 2500 kids going to school each morning at one of the 3 schools along that mile of road and the parents who ferry their cherubs each morning in their Chelsea Tractors.
  • It's not the school kids, as most junior schools are within walking distance for the pupils and most senior schools will bus the kids in from outlying villages, it's the teachers and school ancillary staff who all drive to their place of work at the same time.
  • There is a plan for a Garden City of 3000 homes for Borough Green. That would put another 6000 cars on the roads as most homes have at least 2 cars these days.
  • Addickted said:

It's not the school kids, as most junior schools are within walking distance for the pupils and most senior schools will bus the kids in from outlying villages, it's the teachers and school ancillary staff who all drive to their place of work at the same time.

Considering most teachers get to school before 7.30 I doubt that's the case!
  • Addickted said:

It's not the school kids, as most junior schools are within walking distance for the pupils and most senior schools will bus the kids in from outlying villages, it's the teachers and school ancillary staff who all drive to their place of work at the same time.

I'd disagree. School staff are massively outnumbered by the pupil count in all but the tiniest of schools. My son's primary school is 3 x 30 pupils each year for 7 years, so that's 630 pupils and I'd be surprised if they have even 100 staff, probably considerably less. Even if only a third of the pupils arrive by car and all the staff do, that's still more than 2 to 1 parent/staff ratio.

Plus there seems to be a habit of building schools next to each other so that just adds to the chaos.
  • How do people feel about those that use the exit lane to zoom past the already slow moving traffic to cut in at the last minute before the exit ?
  • Fiiish said:

Addickted said:

Considering most teachers get to school before 7.30 I doubt that's the case!
    I have three teachers that I know of in my road. None of them get into school by 07.30 and one of them probably doesn't get out of bed until that time.

I would suggest that the average senior school has at least 50 full time staff - and Kent has over 140 senior schools.

I would suggest that the average junior school has at least 30 full time staff - and Kent has over 260 junior schools.

Then you need to add in the special schools, alternative schools, prep schools, further education colleges - all who have full time staff with most of them driving into work.

But then as you speak to 'most' of them you'd know what time they leave for work.
  • Addickted said:

Sorry, wrong.
    They only have a couple of school buses in my neck of the woods, the villages have big distances between them, when my stepson had to go to school on the bus, he had to be at the bus stop at 7.30 because of the convoluted route the bus takes.
    90 minutes for a journey that should take ten minutes in a car, thats why so many parents take their kids to school.
  • edited November 2018
    Greenie said:

Addickted said:

Sorry, wrong.
    They only have a couple of school buses in my neck of the woods, the villages have big distances between them, when my stepson had to go to school on the bus, he had to be at the bus stop at 7.30 because of the convoluted route the bus takes.
    90 minutes for a journey that should take ten minutes in a car, thats why so many parents take their kids to school.
    I didn't say all, I said most.

Some parents take their kids to school but at what time?

Maidstone is gridlocked from 07.30 every school morning and it's certainly not from school kids being dropped off at school.

I'm not blaming teachers, I'm daring to suggest that it's not just school kids being dropped off who are adding significantly to the traffic numbers in the morning rush.

• Sponsored links:

• On my morning walk to work I pass a huge queue of traffic, many of which are people carriers and 4x4s with a parent taking one child to school. It must take them equally as long to drive the distance I walk.

This is specifically for my area. No idea about Maidstone.

Problem is in this area many of the local kids train or bus to the grammar schools 2 towns over and a lot of the traffic coming in are from the outlying areas with poor bus connections.

Can't blame the parents really for the rubbish allocation of places and the fact the bus companies continuously run a poorer service as funding gets cut.
  • Dizzle said:

How do people feel about those that use the exit lane to zoom past the already slow moving traffic to cut in at the last minute before the exit ?

Prats!!... You get that a lot at the Danson Interchange turn off from the A2
  • There is a plan for a Garden City of 3000 homes for Borough Green. That would put another 6000 cars on the roads as most homes have at least 2 cars these days.

I was told about this a month or two ago and didn't take too much notice. I believe it is where the Celcon Block factory is at the moment?

I assumed the story had got twisted from 30 homes, to 300 homes and then to 3000 homes. If they get the go ahead to build 3000 homes in or near Borough Green we can all forget about travelling on the A25.
  • Addickted said:

Greenie said:

Addickted said:

Sorry, wrong.

Maidstone is gridlocked from 07.30 every school morning and it's certainly not from school kids being dropped off at school.

I'm not blaming teachers, I'm daring to suggest that it's not just school kids being dropped off who are adding significantly to the traffic numbers in the morning rush.

Maidstone is always borderline gridlocked at best.
    Then explain to me why when the kids are on half term the roads are clear but when they are at school its rammed. Oh its because the are kids going to school.

I was told about this a month or two ago and didn't take too much notice. I believe it is where the Celcon Block factory is at the moment?

I assumed the story had got twisted from 30 homes, to 300 homes and then to 3000 homes. If they get the go ahead to build 3000 homes in or near Borough Green we can all forget about travelling on the A25.

Nope 3000 homes is about right. Borough Green Garden City. Will be located between the M20 & Borough Green.....on land west of Wrotham. A very bif issue around here.....lots of meetings & at the moment there is a consultation period. Everyone is up in arms about it. Except me.

We desperately need more homes. The land at the moment is rural. The "protesters" say its on the edge of some natural habitat/area of special beauty blah. blah, blah. But in reality it is "spare" land & close to the M20 so shouldn't impact on the village here. There is going to be a link road built which will bypass Borough Green itself (which is badly needed) but I wonder if some of the "protesters" are local shopkeepers thinking they will miss out on passing trade. The plans included a primary school & a GP surgery, which are usually overlooked when new "areas" are built. Too much NIMBYism I think.
  • Al

Been taking the kids to school this week as they have been staying at mine. Borough Green to Sevenoaks. 6 mile journey which outside of rush hour is 15 mins, but can be as much as 20 due to Seal & traffic lights at Trinity School & Bat & Ball. In rush hour over the past couple of years it has taken around 30 mins.

This week has been a bloody nightmare ...culminating in today taking 55 mins. Almost an hour to do 6 miles. This is the A25. No reason for the delay. No breakdowns...no accidents....no tempary traffic lights or lorries on double yellows. Just too much traffic.

And some prople want us to continue with open borders & free movement of goods & services. I have news for them. There aint any fucking movement. We have reached gridlock.

A lot of it this week has been caused by pilgrims way in Kemsing being closed to Otford, so most traffic is coming out of Kemsing onto the a25, 90mins from Kemsing to 7oaks was the worst this week

• Al

Been taking the kids to school this week as they have been staying at mine. Borough Green to Sevenoaks. 6 mile journey which outside of rush hour is 15 mins, but can be as much as 20 due to Seal & traffic lights at Trinity School & Bat & Ball. In rush hour over the past couple of years it has taken around 30 mins.

A lot of it this week has been caused by pilgrims way in Kemsing being closed to Otford, so most traffic is coming out of Kemsing onto the a25, 90mins from Kemsing to 7oaks was the worst this week

No it's all the immigrants.
  • Dizzle said:

How do people feel about those that use the exit lane to zoom past the already slow moving traffic to cut in at the last minute before the exit ?

I feel the same about those lowlifes as I do about people who knowingly infect people with AIDS

There is no punishment harsh enough for them, I don't hear grudges to any self-important skidmark who feels they need to get 10 cars ahead however I do wish we could pause the commute and I can beat sense into them by showing them a video of accidents caused by morons doing that and the fucking mess it causes. Then I'd beat them into next week with the divide I used to play the video
  • So how do we feel about people who speed up as you overtake them?

I swear people get the hump that someone might be wanting to go faster than them...

Happens all the time. If they were travelling that speed in the first place I wouldn't be overtaking them!

• Sponsored links:

Nope 3000 homes is about right. Borough Green Garden City. Will be located between the M20 & Borough Green.....on land west of Wrotham. A very bif issue around here.....lots of meetings & at the moment there is a consultation period. Everyone is up in arms about it. Except me.

We desperately need more homes. The land at the moment is rural. The "protesters" say its on the edge of some natural habitat/area of special beauty blah. blah, blah. But in reality it is "spare" land & close to the M20 so shouldn't impact on the village here. There is going to be a link road built which will bypass Borough Green itself (which is badly needed) but I wonder if some of the "protesters" are local shopkeepers thinking they will miss out on passing trade. The plans included a primary school & a GP surgery, which are usually overlooked when new "areas" are built. Too much NIMBYism I think.
    Why do we need more homes in this area? I have lived in the area for the last 10 years (St Marys Platt & Mereworth) and I do not know, or have ever met a homeless person.

3000 homes is a ridiculous number to be considered in that area.
  • Greenie said:

Addickted said:

Greenie said:

Addickted said:

Sorry, wrong.

Maidstone is always borderline gridlocked at best.
    Then explain to me why when the kids are on half term the roads are clear but when they are at school its rammed. Oh its because the are kids going to school.
    Because all the teachers are in bed.
  • So how do we feel about people who speed up as you overtake them?

I swear people get the hump that someone might be wanting to go faster than them...

In my own car, it doesn't bother me, I am confident of overtaking most vehicles swiftly

In my van, it drives me fucking mad. It's restricted to 70mph so for me to be overtaking I am cofident they are doing a speed worthy of being overtaken. Then it's like a switch goes on and some silly pride kicks in that means they can't let a van overtake them so they speed up. I then drop back in and sure as eggs is eggs they will drift into daydreaming again and I'll begin the wholetter charade again. I can't say or get across how much this annoys me as it is always middle lane ignoramuses who do it
  • Greenie said:

Hmmm, I agree to a point, BUT most of it is parents getting their kids to school.
    As you know I dont live to far from you Golfie, I drive from Vigo To Tonbridge where I work.
    When the kids are off school (Half term, summer hols etc) I get to work in approx 20 minutes, however when the kids are at school it takes me 45 mins to sometimes over an hour, it can take me 20 minutes just to get down Vigo hill sometimes.
    So for me, if everyone can stop having kids then that will help.
    And also, Old retired people, should only be allowed out on the road between 10 am and 3 pm, 'cos they drive at about 10 mph and just get in everyones way, the buggers.
    That won't work, they have to start queuing at the Post Office from 8.30
  • edited November 2018
    For those of you living in the Maidstone area, have a look at the website https://magic-maidstone.org/
    They also have a Facebook group and are trying to get as many people to join to create as big a voice for change, as possible.

This is a campaign to build a southern ring road from M20 J8 right around the south of Maidstone to join up with the M20 near to West Malling. At the moment anyone travelling from south of Maidstone towards the M20 has to go through the town centre which is a nightmare at the best of times, or through villages with roads not designed to carry the volume of traffic they are experiencing now. The new housing estates south of Maidstone have resulted in large volumes of traffic using Willington Street and New Cut. The junction of those roads causes tailbacks in Bearsted and Grove Green. Lots of new estates on the western side of Maidstone have also created gridlock on the roads.

The smart motorway work from J3 to J5 will do nothing to solve the traffic problems as there are so many breakdowns and accidents, that without a hard shoulder the new lane will hardly ever be open. The only solution is for a ring road and it is crazy that a town the size of Maidstone doesn't have one.
    Until the infrastructure is improved no more new estates should be built.

I'm becoming more convinced that the 'authorities' are creating as much congestion as possible to drive vehicles off the road. Maidstone Council has a ridiculous idea called 'modal shift' and they believe that people will move to other forms of transport, cycling and walking. This won't happen as so many people moving into the area have jobs elsewhere.
  • For those of you living in the Maidstone area, have a look at the website https://magic-maidstone.org/
    They also have a Facebook group and are trying to get as many people to join to create as big a voice for change, as possible.

This is a campaign to build a southern ring road from M20 J8 right around the south of Maidstone to join up with the M20 near to West Malling. At the moment anyone travelling from south of Maidstone towards the M20 has to go through the town centre which is a nightmare at the best of times, or through villages with roads not designed to carry the volume of traffic they are experiencing now. The new housing estates south of Maidstone have resulted in large volumes of traffic using Willington Street and New Cut. The junction of those roads causes tailbacks in Bearsted and Grove Green. Lots of new estates on the western side of Maidstone have also created gridlock on the roads.

The smart motorway work from J3 to J5 will do nothing to solve the traffic problems as there are so many breakdowns and accidents, that without a hard shoulder the new lane will hardly ever be open. The only solution is for a ring road and it is crazy that a town the size of Maidstone doesn't have one.

I'm becoming more convinced that the 'authorities' are creating as much congestion as possible to drive vehicles off the road. Maidstone Council has a ridiculous idea called 'modal shift' and they believe that people will move to other forms of transport, cycling and walking. This won't happen as so many people moving into the area have jobs elsewhere.

I'd move to a different area.
  • edited November 2018

For those of you living in the Maidstone area, have a look at the website https://magic-maidstone.org/

I think I posted something above before however up until recently I have owned a business in the Maidstone area since 1990 and obviously the traffic and the congestion has increased over that period.

There has been talk of a ring road being built since 1990 however nothing has ever got close to be given the green light and with the budget slashing times we live in now I cannot seeing it being built in the near future.

Put simply Maidstone is best avoided although I feel for those that live there.
  • FORD said:

I blame Brexit for the M20 nightmare - heard several theories now all connected to Brexit (using up EU grants, finishing off and bringing forward all roadwork to limit disruption on and post Brexit day, prep for lorry park op stack measures)

All fake news I'm sure, but why they are choosing to remove the hardshoulder is beyond me. I travel on that road every day and everyday I see cars on the hardshoulder broken down or even worse on fire. What loons actually make these decisions and do they ever actually drive?

A20 of course was nothing to do with any of that and is a horrendous accident. RIP to those involve and thoughts are with their families and friends.

Partially accurate..... some of the night works on the M20 are modifications to the hard-shoulder, in preparation for coping with delays at ports in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
  • edited November 2018

FORD said:

I blame Brexit for the M20 nightmare - heard several theories now all connected to Brexit (using up EU grants, finishing off and bringing forward all roadwork to limit disruption on and post Brexit day, prep for lorry park op stack measures)

All fake news I'm sure, but why they are choosing to remove the hardshoulder is beyond me. I travel on that road every day and everyday I see cars on the hardshoulder broken down or even worse on fire. What loons actually make these decisions and do they ever actually drive?

A20 of course was nothing to do with any of that and is a horrendous accident. RIP to those involve and thoughts are with their families and friends.

Partially accurate..... some of the night works on the M20 are modifications to the hard-shoulder, in preparation for coping with delays at ports in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
    I have to disagree on that one, works took place on the M26 a couple of weekends ago to test the M26 as a Brexit/Port Delay buffer, not the M20.

The hard shoulder on the M20 is being removed to make way for a 4th lane.
  • The works between junctions 9 and 7 are to do with the successor to Operation Stack and now called the 'M20 Temporary Solution'. This will be similar to Op Stack in that the lorries will be parked on the eastbound carriageway between junctions 8 and 9. The westbound carriageway will have 2 lanes running in each direction and the hard shoulder is being strengthened to become a live lane.

I was reading earlier this week that if the scheme is needed, it will take several days to put in place, the central barrier to separate the westbound carriageway to allow two way running. That is crazy as it is far too late if you have disruption at Dover and/or Eurotunnel. The motorway won't be able to cope anyway and we will have the gridlock we experienced in 2015.

The scheme is costing is excess of £25 million for a supposedly temporary solution, which may never be used. There has been a public consultation for a permanent solution, but they should have started this straight after the summer of disruption in 2015.

A lorry park or parks are the only sensible solution as they could be used as permanent places for drivers to take rest breaks. I believe there was a proposal to build one near Folkestone, but wasn't followed up after an outcry from the local small village. Far fewer people would have been affected if this idea had been put in place. The current roadworks are causing misery and gridlock in Maidstone and probably Ashford too. The overnight closures have been a nightmare and have forced hundreds of HGVs to use roads not designed to take the volume they are currently taking. A huge number of accidents and breakdowns are happening every day in the roadworks, which creates even more havoc in the Maidstone area.

Manston airport is also a ridiculous idea as the traffic would have to travel on a single carriageway road to get to Dover.