Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• DA9 said:

Not Kent, but I was the first vehicle stopped on the A13 junction heading towards the Dartford bridge, two fire engines, 2 ambulances, loads of traffic officer vehicles.
    Could see a Wincaton lorry that looked like it had struck the A13 fliyover, but once we were released to join the A13 eastbound to reroute via Thurrock, saw a small silver car absolutely crushed and spun around facing the wrong way, bollard or lamp post had been taken out in the impact, cutting equipment being used, pray to god they got out alive.

I was in the same section as the A13 roundabout snarled up. Managed to get past around 4pm but as you say looked very bad
  • Another bad day for accidents on Kent's roads.

People travelling to the match via the A20 will have problems as the following taken from AA travel website:

Road closed and queueing traffic due to serious multi-vehicle accident on A20 Westbound from M25 J3 (Swanley Interchange) to B2173 Maidstone Road (Swanley West). Congestion to J4 (Orpington). Emergency services continue to work at the scene, Traffic officers confirm that there has been damage to barriers which will need repairing. The westbound remains closed and the eastbound has re-opened.

Highways England website states that A20 likely to be closed until 8.30 this evening as a result of the above.

I sat there for nearly 3 hours this morning and we didn't move.

I fear it is a bad one from snippets that emerged. As you can imagine we left our vehicles at times being delayed that long.
  • edited November 2018
    LenGlover said:

Another bad day for accidents on Kent's roads.

People travelling to the match via the A20 will have problems as the following taken from AA travel website:

Road closed and queueing traffic due to serious multi-vehicle accident on A20 Westbound from M25 J3 (Swanley Interchange) to B2173 Maidstone Road (Swanley West). Congestion to J4 (Orpington). Emergency services continue to work at the scene, Traffic officers confirm that there has been damage to barriers which will need repairing. The westbound remains closed and the eastbound has re-opened.

Highways England website states that A20 likely to be closed until 8.30 this evening as a result of the above.

I fear it is a bad one from snippets that emerged. As you can imagine we left our vehicles at times being delayed that long.
    THIS MORNING ......WTF have they been doing all day !!!!!

We were stuck in it for almost an hour this evening......from 6.30pm. Didn't move at all for 30 mins & only started to crawl when they diverted traffic off at the Swanley Interchange.

I know this may sound insensitive to those who may have lost loved ones but surely there comes a time when moving traffic & getting people to work, school etc over rides barrier repairs, road resurfacing.....or dare I mention it......incident investigation. One day the whole of SE London / N Kent will grind to a standstill.
  • LenGlover said:

We were stuck in it for almost an hour this evening......from 6.30pm. Didn't move at all for 30 mins & only started to crawl when they diverted traffic off at the Swanley Interchange.

I know this may sound insensitive to those who may have lost loved ones but surely there comes a time when moving traffic & getting people to work, school etc over rides barrier repairs, road resurfacing.....or dare I mention it......incident investigation. One day the whole of SE London / N Kent will grind to a standstill.
    problem is we have embraced the culture of finding blame for everything. If something is dangerous it must be fixed, if someone has a fatal.accident it must be investigated. I'm not being as insensitive as to blame people having accidents however society has decided that inquests need to happen and the roads need to be of a safe standard on main routes. Both of which sound fair enough however to do these things mean we will be disrupted.

Now with the benefit of social media I can see someone understandably moaning one day that the A2 or M25 is fucked and scroll further down their timeline and see them calling for someone to be held accountable or blamed for something. Rightly or wrongly

One of the reasons we have to have so much signing and guarding on any worksite near cars is to litigate and to enable companies doing the work not to be blamed. The argument is, it's to keep people safe but plastic barriers and cones won't keep someone safe if some prick in a car loses control and smashes though the guarding.

• Here's the report from Kent police, rest in peace those decent people trying to help someone else

We are appealing for information after two men were fatally injured on the A20, #Swanley.

The incident happened on the Londonbound carriageway at around 11am on Tuesday, 20 November 2018.

Two men were assisting the driver of an overturned silver Vauxhall Astra when they were in collision with a silver Mercedes. The men, aged 25 and 54-years-old were fatally injured.

A total of seven vehicles were involved in the incident and a further six people were injured.

The road was closed for 12-hours to allow officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit to investigate.

Officers are keen to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the incident, or has any dashcam footage that may help them with their enquiries.

If anyone can help police, please contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit witness appeal line on 01622 798538 or email sciu.td@kent.pnn.police.uk
  • How the hell did the Merc managed to knock them down after another car has overturned!!! RIP to the two brave guys.
  • Carter said:

Here's the report from Kent police, rest in peace those decent people trying to help someone else

We are appealing for information after two men were fatally injured on the A20, #Swanley.

The incident happened on the Londonbound carriageway at around 11am on Tuesday, 20 November 2018.

Two men were assisting the driver of an overturned silver Vauxhall Astra when they were in collision with a silver Mercedes. The men, aged 25 and 54-years-old were fatally injured.

A total of seven vehicles were involved in the incident and a further six people were injured.

The road was closed for 12-hours to allow officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit to investigate.

Officers are keen to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the incident, or has any dashcam footage that may help them with their enquiries.

If anyone can help police, please contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit witness appeal line on 01622 798538 or email sciu.td@kent.pnn.police.uk

We heard that two had died yesterday when trapped in the queue. It was implied that some of the 'injuries' were serious so in a strange way I am relieved to read that 'only' two have died.

RIP to two brave men and my inconvenience pales into insignificance.
  • LenGlover said:

Why the flag?

I simply recounted the FACTS as to my experience. I was not judgemental either positively or negatively.

If it turns you on though flag away!
  • LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Why the flag?

I simply recounted the FACTS as to my experience. I was not judgemental either positively or negatively.

If it turns you on though flag away!
    I had to check it wasnt me again using my honed 'left thumb flick' scrolling technique

If anyone has been flagged by me let me know, it will have been an error, I'm not and have never been a grass
  • Carter said:

Here's the report from Kent police, rest in peace those decent people trying to help someone else

Absolutely heartbreaking that.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018
    Carter said:

LenGlover said:

problem is we have embraced the culture of finding blame for everything. If something is dangerous it must be fixed, if someone has a fatal.accident it must be investigated. I'm not being as insensitive as to blame people having accidents however society has decided that inquests need to happen and the roads need to be of a safe standard on main routes. Both of which sound fair enough however to do these things mean we will be disrupted.

Now with the benefit of social media I can see someone understandably moaning one day that the A2 or M25 is fucked and scroll further down their timeline and see them calling for someone to be held accountable or blamed for something. Rightly or wrongly

One of the reasons we have to have so much signing and guarding on any worksite near cars is to litigate and to enable companies doing the work not to be blamed. The argument is, it's to keep people safe but plastic barriers and cones won't keep someone safe if some prick in a car loses control and smashes though the guarding.

I understand all that & having read the following posts can see why the road was blocked for a long time.

However.....it happened at 11am (according to the Police statement)...I joined the M20 at j3 at around 6.30pm. Once on it there you can't get off until the Swanley interchange, some 9 miles later. Would it have not made sense to either stop traffic entering onto the M20 or at least have a traffic officer alerting people of the situation ahead. It might also make sense to erect signalling at all motorway junctions telling motorists of the current situation ( there is one as you join the M25 at Swanley....albeit just a speed sign alerting you if there is congestion)

I'm not saying this because I missed the start of a football match.....that is minor in comparrison....but there are many threads & posts about delays on the M25 etc & just the daily commute can be delayed for hours....resulting in lost revenue, lost working hours etc becsuse people are stuck for hours in traffic with no way of getting out of it when stuck.
  • Carter said:

LenGlover said:

I understand all that & having read the following posts can see why the road was blocked for a long time.

However.....it happened at 11am (according to the Police statement)...I joined the M20 at j3 at around 6.30pm. Once on it there you can't get off until the Swanley interchange, some 9 miles later. Would it have not made sense to either stop traffic entering onto the M20 or at least have a traffic officer alerting people of the situation ahead. It might also make sense to erect signalling at all motorway junctions telling motorists of the current situation ( there is one as you join the M25 at Swanley....albeit just a speed sign alerting you if there is congestion)

I'm not saying this because I missed the start of a football match.....that is minor in comparrison....but there are many threads & posts about delays on the M25 etc & just the daily commute can be delayed for hours....resulting in lost revenue, lost working hours etc becsuse people are stuck for hours in traffic with no way of getting out of it when stuck.
    I hear you, I didn't take it as you being insensitive

You are right, most vehicles have traffic alerts built in and sat navs on phones have live traffic data too. It wouldn't hurt to have more information on the boards. They have enough inane and obvious stuff on them anyway. I once saw a sign coast bound on the A2 about disruption on the A1 near Durham for fucks sake! Not sure if that was a test or just to make people in Kent, heading deeper into Kent feel grateful they were doing that journey and not going to Newcastle
  • LenGlover said:

Carter said:

We heard that two had died yesterday when trapped in the queue. It was implied that some of the 'injuries' were serious so in a strange way I am relieved to read that 'only' two have died.

RIP to two brave men and my inconvenience pales into insignificance.

I was stuck in this for two and a half hours on my way to have lunch with @HantsAddick. I was the last one that made it onto the A20 before it was closed. They took us off via the M20 slip road after all the emergency vehicles had done their job. Also heard that two people had died. I feel so sad for all involved. RIP.
  • edited November 2018
    Both the M20 & M2 have overnight closures. These are the 2 main routes to and from the ports and to close both at the same time is ridiculous. Currently have a queue of HGVs outside my house so another sleepless night. Every day is a slow crawl to work and it's only a six mile drive. I think the authorities won't be happy until they bring the county to a standstill.
  • My workmates think I’m mad if I see that there’s been an accident at the Dartford crossing at 10am and say that will effect my journey home at 5pm, they can’t believe that it would still cause problems that much later.
  • buckshee said:

My workmates think I’m mad if I see that there’s been an accident at the Dartford crossing at 10am and say that will effect my journey home at 5pm, they can’t believe that it would still cause problems that much later.

I am exactly the same
  • buckshee said:

My workmates think I’m mad if I see that there’s been an accident at the Dartford crossing at 10am and say that will effect my journey home at 5pm, they can’t believe that it would still cause problems that much later.

I am exactly the same
    In a previous job I was working out of a couple of different sites in South London and the yard was populated mostly by people who lived under 10 miles away. They had absolutely no conception of the potential for chaos daily with the M25 in general and the crossing in particular. Honestly it was like the world began and ended in Bexley
  • Sounds chaotic on the A2 eastbound currently, backing up to Blackwall Tunnel due to an accident.
  • Sounds chaotic on the A2 eastbound currently, backing up to Blackwall Tunnel due to an accident.

I can verify this. I came off at Danson and have made my way through Sidcup to the A20 instead

• Sponsored links:

• Lucky found out before got near the a2. Went via a20 but still added a good half hour to my journey.
    Doubt I’d be half way if I’d sat in it.
  • Bobbi Pryor reporting 11 mile tailback from Darenth to Blackwall tunnel.
  • Not Kent but my worst journey out of town on A13 to Essex for some time this evening.
    Walking pace from Tower bridge all the way to the BP garage at Movers lane Dagenham.

Coulprit? Broken down small lorry in the garage entrance!

Road network on its arse!

• Tonight there are sections closed on all 3 of Kent's motorways.
  • edited November 2018
    I blame Brexit for the M20 nightmare - heard several theories now all connected to Brexit (using up EU grants, finishing off and bringing forward all roadwork to limit disruption on and post Brexit day, prep for lorry park op stack measures)

All fake news I'm sure, but why they are choosing to remove the hardshoulder is beyond me. I travel on that road every day and everyday I see cars on the hardshoulder broken down or even worse on fire. What loons actually make these decisions and do they ever actually drive?

A20 of course was nothing to do with any of that and is a horrendous accident. RIP to those involve and thoughts are with their families and friends.
  • Tonight there are sections closed on all 3 of Kent's motorways.

Yeah, just came back from a mate's in Snodland and had to come off the A20 cos it was closed at Swanley.
  • edited November 2018
    Been taking the kids to school this week as they have been staying at mine. Borough Green to Sevenoaks. 6 mile journey which outside of rush hour is 15 mins, but can be as much as 20 due to Seal & traffic lights at Trinity School & Bat & Ball. In rush hour over the past couple of years it has taken around 30 mins.

This week has been a bloody nightmare ...culminating in today taking 55 mins. Almost an hour to do 6 miles. This is the A25. No reason for the delay. No breakdowns...no accidents....no tempary traffic lights or lorries on double yellows. Just too much traffic.

And some prople want us to continue with open borders & free movement of goods & services. I have news for them. There aint any fucking movement. We have reached gridlock.
  • Greenie said:

Been taking the kids to school this week as they have been staying at mine. Borough Green to Sevenoaks. 6 mile journey which outside of rush hour is 15 mins, but can be as much as 20 due to Seal & traffic lights at Trinity School & Bat & Ball. In rush hour over the past couple of years it has taken around 30 mins.

This week has been a bloody nightmare ...culminating in today taking 55 mins. Almost an hour to do 6 miles. This is the A25. No reason for the delay. No breakdowns...no accidents....no tempary traffic lights or lorries on double yellows. Just too much traffic.

And some prople want us to continue with open borders & free movement of goods & services. I have news for them. There aint any fucking movement. We have reached gridlock.

Hmmm, I agree to a point, BUT most of it is parents getting their kids to school.
    As you know I dont live to far from you Golfie, I drive from Vigo To Tonbridge where I work.
    When the kids are off school (Half term, summer hols etc) I get to work in approx 20 minutes, however when the kids are at school it takes me 45 mins to sometimes over an hour, it can take me 20 minutes just to get down Vigo hill sometimes.
    So for me, if everyone can stop having kids then that will help.
    And also, Old retired people, should only be allowed out on the road between 10 am and 3 pm, 'cos they drive at about 10 mph and just get in everyones way, the buggers.
    How about some respect for your elders, young man !

Mr F drives averages at least 12 mph.
  • Greenie said:

Hmmm, I agree to a point, BUT most of it is parents getting their kids to school.
    As you know I dont live to far from you Golfie, I drive from Vigo To Tonbridge where I work.
    When the kids are off school (Half term, summer hols etc) I get to work in approx 20 minutes, however when the kids are at school it takes me 45 mins to sometimes over an hour, it can take me 20 minutes just to get down Vigo hill sometimes.
    So for me, if everyone can stop having kids then that will help.
    And also, Old retired people, should only be allowed out on the road between 10 am and 3 pm, 'cos they drive at about 10 mph and just get in everyones way, the buggers.
    How about some respect for your elders, young man !

Mr F drives averages at least 12 mph.
    Oi!! Leave Greenie alone and read the thread title, you live in Sussex :smiley: