Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• The M20 is in an even bigger mess now, as it is closed coastbound from J8 to J11 for non freight traffic. It's unlikely to get any better for several more days.
    So, going from Bearsted to Eurotunnel is A20 all the way ? Wonderful !

A lot of the HGVs are coming off the M20 at J7 and travelling along the A20 in Bearsted.
  • tommyr said:
    as a Harrietsham resident i can confirm the A20 is basically stationary.
    I feel so sorry for you, it must be hell. I live on the A20 in Bearsted and whilst we don't get the disruption as often as you , when the lorries come through it sounds like thunder.
  • What about Manston Airport?
    What about facilities for lorry drivers in queues or holding areas?
    Are there similar queues at the land border between the UK and the EU?
    What about the ‘Festival of Brexit’ celebrations?
    …oops…..
  • seth plum said:
    What about Manston Airport?
    …oops…..
    The Random Thread - Page 1933 - Ichiraku Ramen Bar - Heaven  Earth
  • seth plum said:
    …oops…..
    Revision Bingo for Language Lessons - Private German Tutor Online French  Teacher Qualified EFL Tutor
  • iainment said:
    Every time I see this thread this pops into mind;

Kent overwhelmingly votes to leave the EU

24 June 2016
    Nigel Farage celebrating

IMAGE SOURCE, PA

Image caption, 

South East MEP and UKIP leader Nigel Farage has been celebrating victory for the leave camp

People in Kent have voted strongly in favour of leaving the European Union.

Over 970,000 people in the county cast a vote in the historic referendum, with 59% voting to leave and 41% to remain.

Tunbridge Wells was the county's only district that voted to stay in the EU, with 54.9% voting to remain and 45.1% to leave. Turnout there was 79%.

Local Conservative MP Greg Clark tweeted: "Now, as we negotiate with our European neighbours, we must show calm judgement and mutual respect."

Ashford, Canterbury, Dartford, Dover, Tonbridge and Malling, Gravesham, Maidstone, Medway, Sevenoaks, Shepway, Swale and Thanet all voted to leave, with Gravesham delivering the biggest vote at 65.4%.

The closest race was in Canterbury with 51% voting to leave and 49% to remain. 

If Kent voted that way it deserves all that Fat Boy and Frog Face lied about. Serves its citizens right.
    Just the same as Hull and Grimsby voting overwhelmingly to leave then moaning about fish!
  • seth plum said:
    …oops…..
    We are still partying.
  • edited April 2022
    seth plum said:
    …oops…..
    Using Manston Airport is a question I put to National Highways yesterday and was told that the DfT contract has ended and that there is no deal with the current owners of Manston Airport. I was told that it would take too long to negotiate a contract. I was also told that road system isn't good enough to transfer HGVs from Manston to Dover.

As you know I am now a big critic of Brexit, even though I voted for it in 2016, but the main problem is the action of P & O in sacking 800 workers and the fact that the ships don't have the necessary safety certificates, due to having taken on an untrained foreign workforce. After the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster, safety is paramount in the running of a ferry service. 

I did ask National Highways why the same chaos isn't being seen in France and was told that France is a much bigger country and that HGVs can choose whether or not to travel to the UK. Hopefully this will not lead to a shortage in the shops, but it seems likely, as why would companies risk their lorries being stuck getting back to Europe.

• Sponsored links:

• iainment said:
    So a company decides to sack all 800 workers & suddenly the chaos is down to Brexit.

Perhaps if everyone had just accepted the decision of the referendum then Brexit would have happened sooner & we would be through it by now.

And dont forget the now Labour leader brought into the Labour manifesto the policy of a 2nd referendum if Labour had got into power, which directly led to the landslide Tory victory in 2019.

If anyone is to blame then its him. And Tony Blair for signing the GFA which states that there cant be a border between NI & Eire. 

Go figure. 
    In my opinion P&O couldn’t sack their workers this way if we were in the EU. They’re quite happy to face off the UK Government as it’s full of incompetent idiots with no joined up thinking. The EU I think would be a very different kettle of fish.
    But not in fact... 
  • iainment said:

24 June 2016
    Nigel Farage celebrating

IMAGE SOURCE, PA

Image caption, 

South East MEP and UKIP leader Nigel Farage has been celebrating victory for the leave camp

Over 970,000 people in the county cast a vote in the historic referendum, with 59% voting to leave and 41% to remain.

Tunbridge Wells was the county's only district that voted to stay in the EU, with 54.9% voting to remain and 45.1% to leave. Turnout there was 79%.

Local Conservative MP Greg Clark tweeted: "Now, as we negotiate with our European neighbours, we must show calm judgement and mutual respect."

Ashford, Canterbury, Dartford, Dover, Tonbridge and Malling, Gravesham, Maidstone, Medway, Sevenoaks, Shepway, Swale and Thanet all voted to leave, with Gravesham delivering the biggest vote at 65.4%.

A thread about traffic issues in Kent makes you think about the referendum result? How do you connect the two? 

Operation Stack was first instituted in 1988.
    Delusion comes to mind.
  • Bailey said:
    iainment said:
    So a company decides to sack all 800 workers & suddenly the chaos is down to Brexit.

Perhaps if everyone had just accepted the decision of the referendum then Brexit would have happened sooner & we would be through it by now.

And dont forget the now Labour leader brought into the Labour manifesto the policy of a 2nd referendum if Labour had got into power, which directly led to the landslide Tory victory in 2019.

If anyone is to blame then its him. And Tony Blair for signing the GFA which states that there cant be a border between NI & Eire. 

Go figure. 
    In my opinion P&O couldn’t sack their workers this way if we were in the EU. They’re quite happy to face off the UK Government as it’s full of incompetent idiots with no joined up thinking. The EU I think would be a very different kettle of fish.
    You haven't reached or realised Brexit or it's problems Mr Golf, the pandemic is still here, despite what the government states, the cost of living crisis is now upon us and if you think that it's unfair that we have a 56% rise in energy prices when the EU has limited any energy rises to 4.5% then perhaps you might want to ask Mr Johnson and Mr Sunak, why ? . Plus you mention Blair's decision to sign away a border on the island of Ireland, if it wasn't signed there would be no peace agreement, a peace that these islands have enjoyed for almost thirty years. You will eventually join up the dots and find out where the money came from to run both Donald Trumps presidential campaign and the Brexit campaign, both of which were run at enormous cost, I will give you a clue ........he's now destroying Ukraine. 
    The one he won, or the one he lost? If the latter, that was a really shit investment by Putin.

Although I think the bit about the Russians funding Brexit is probably true. I went to a pub in West Malling with my Kentish family recently and they all paid for their vodka in roubles. (They didn't really...)
  • It will be 4.5% of FA if Putin turns the Gas tap of to Europe.  You might be right about Trumps funding but not Brexit. The Government of the day, Tory, produced a very pro Remain campaign, in my opinion.
  • Bailey said:
    iainment said:

Go figure. 
    You haven't reached or realised Brexit or it's problems Mr Golf, the pandemic is still here, despite what the government states, the cost of living crisis is now upon us and if you think that it's unfair that we have a 56% rise in energy prices when the EU has limited any energy rises to 4.5% then perhaps you might want to ask Mr Johnson and Mr Sunak, why ? . Plus you mention Blair's decision to sign away a border on the island of Ireland, if it wasn't signed there would be no peace agreement, a peace that these islands have enjoyed for almost thirty years. You will eventually join up the dots and find out where the money came from to run both Donald Trumps presidential campaign and the Brexit campaign, both of which were run at enormous cost, I will give you a clue ........he's now destroying Ukraine. 
    This is not the thread to talk politics so my last word on what you mention about the GFA then is.. ......the IRA won. Kill everyone until you get your demand of a "united" Ireland. 

• So a company decides to sack all 800 workers & suddenly the chaos is down to Brexit.

Go figure. 
    The decision signalled by the referendum result hasn't happened,
    Nothing whatsoever to do with everybody accepting it or not.
  • Except that they didn't get a united Ireland and they had to recognise the protestants right to self determination within the island of Ireland. Brexit has done more to weaken the Unionist case and within ten years the Catholics will be in the majority and almost certainly there will be vote for reunification. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Back to the traffic chaos in Kent, this weekend is likely to see the problems get even worse, as holiday traffic will add to the queues.

Tonight the M20 is a no go zone as it is closed to non freight traffic from J8 to J11.  The M2 is also very bad as HGVs trying to dodge the M20 are having to be turned back to join the M20 queues. 

• iainment said:

Go figure. 
    But not in fact... 
    In your opinion.
  • iainment said:

24 June 2016
    Nigel Farage celebrating

IMAGE SOURCE, PA

Image caption, 

A thread about traffic issues in Kent makes you think about the referendum result? How do you connect the two? 

Operation Stack was first instituted in 1988.
    It might have been. But it has been ramped up considerably since.
    I don’t have access to the stats but I’d like to see the frequency of it’s use pre and post the referendum.
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

Go figure. 
    But not in fact... 
    In your opinion.
    And that of The Guardian, hardly a repository for my views...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/18/po-ferries-sackings-brexit-uk-eu-employment-law
  • Anybody travelling in Kent this weekend will face longer journeys, there is currently a 23 mile tailback of lorries on the M20 and other traffic is having to use alternative roads. The M2 is also affected as the HGVs have to be turned back at Brenley Corner, so that the join the M20 Brock queue.
  • I read previously that there were bottles of urine and bags of poo on the road verges of Kent because of desperate drivers unable to hold out in the lengthy queues.
    It is not because of the referendum result because the referendum result hasn’t been implemented.
    Perhaps the drivers are operating a ‘dirty protest’ due to the democratic deficit.
    Is the poo and pee removed or simply ignored?
  • The drivers have no facilities at all, no way to wash,no toilets. When Op  Stack was implemented  they use to wheel out porta - loos. This was not planned for in Op Brock.
    So continue to expect the unexpected including the odd bottle of "DRIVER TIZER" and plastic biological land mines.