Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Usual shit last night. Got on the M20 at J4 London-bound only to then be told that it was closed from J3-J1. No signs at J4 of course, only after you get on the motorway...

Worked my way over to the M2, which was okay London-bound but pretty crap coast-bound. I'm guessing there must have been some sort of incident too, as I saw 5 ambulances on blue lights heading Kentwards just in the stretch between Gravesend and Bluewater. 
  • Anybody travelling in Kent this weekend will face longer journeys, there is currently a 23 mile tailback of lorries on the M20 and other traffic is having to use alternative roads. The M2 is also affected as the HGVs have to be turned back at Brenley Corner, so that the join the M20 Brock queue.
    As I'm sure you know, lorries coming off at J7 and heading through local villages to avoid M20 queue. Why are the police allowing this ?
  • Just spoken to my son who lives in Canterbury. Working from home today as low on fuel and no petrol in the area. He can't get to work in Ryarsh.
  • Anybody travelling in Kent this weekend will face longer journeys, there is currently a 23 mile tailback of lorries on the M20 and other traffic is having to use alternative roads. The M2 is also affected as the HGVs have to be turned back at Brenley Corner, so that the join the M20 Brock queue.
    As I'm sure you know, lorries coming off at J7 and heading through local villages to avoid M20 queue. Why are the police allowing this ?
    I asked Highways Agency why they are allowing this and they said it isn't illegal. I did point out that travelling at more than 30mph along Ashford Road is illegal.
  • Thread closing on , 10, 9, 8, 7 …

this thread is now closed.
  • edited April 2022
    Bailey said:
    Except that they didn't get a united Ireland and they had to recognise the protestants right to self determination within the island of Ireland. Brexit has done more to weaken the Unionist case and within ten years the Catholics will be in the majority and almost certainly there will be vote for reunification. 
    Interesting polls in the north (I know, polls schmolls).

No majority is so keen on a united Ireland it appears...

Anyway, politics be gone.  Got half term for two weeks, then back to Ashford three days a week  oh the joy!
  • So yesterday P&O announce they'll be starting the Dover/Calais and (Hull/Rotterdam) routes back up today. Today they announce that all services are cancelled until at least Monday.

If you can then avoid most of Kent's roads, going to be absolute carnage this weekend.
  • edited April 2022
    Just spoken to my son who lives in Canterbury. Working from home today as low on fuel and no petrol in the area. He can't get to work in Ryarsh.
    Is this a thing petrol shortages? I only ask as I have tried both Sunday and today to fill up at Morrisons in Erith, only for them to be out of fuel.
  • Just spoken to my son who lives in Canterbury. Working from home today as low on fuel and no petrol in the area. He can't get to work in Ryarsh.
    Is this a thing petrol shortages? I only ask as I have tried both Sunday and today to fill up at Morrisons in Erith, only for them to be out of fuel.
    I was in Barming earlier (Maidstone hospital) and the big Sainsburys was heaving with queues everywhere. A few pumps were out of unleaded so that didnt help. I thought it was people just filling up before they went away for the Easter break. 
  • my brother in law rang me earlier and told me to go get Diesel as there was about to be a shortage again ?!?!, he said he'd tried 3 garages and all were out again...

I nipped out and found some in the 2nd Garage I tried (by Welling football ground).
  • Sponsored links:

• There is no shortage of fuel - just let it get out of the places where it's stored to the places where you fill up...
  • seth plum said:
    I read previously that there were bottles of urine and bags of poo on the road verges of Kent because of desperate drivers unable to hold out in the lengthy queues.
    It is not because of the referendum result because the referendum result hasn’t been implemented.
    Perhaps the drivers are operating a ‘dirty protest’ due to the democratic deficit.
    Is the poo and pee removed or simply ignored?
    This has nothing to do with Brexit or P&O, it has been happening for years. That is why the parking ban for lorries was bought in covering a lot of lay byes, especially those on minor roads.

Our lay byes simply do not cater for overnight stops, so the dirty bastards piss, crap and throw their rubbish on the ground before driving off. The new lorry park in Kent was built to attract drivers to use it as an alternative.   

• M20 closure set to cause disruptions for Maidstone - the following from Maidstone Borough Council:

Maidstone Borough Council (MBC) is asking residents to avoid using the A20 or M20 this weekend if they can as the motorway is set to remain closed coast (east) bound between Junctions 8 (Leeds Castle) and 11 (Hythe) to increase capacity for lorries to wait before crossing the Channel.

Unfortunately the ongoing situation on the motorway is having a major impact on local traffic, businesses and residents around the Maidstone area with local diversions in place. People are being asked to avoid using the A20 and M20 if possible but if they have to travel to please allow extra time for their journey. Arrangements are also in place to filter HGVs making local deliveries.

MBC Chief Executive Alison Broom said: “We realise that this has been a very difficult time for our residents and the issues on the M20 have impacted our communities, but we are asking them to not make journeys unless it is absolutely necessary this weekend.
    “Please think about if you really need to make that journey as if you don’t you will be avoiding what could be potentially long delays and helping to keep our roads clear for essential traffic including the emergency services.”
    All agencies are working hard to enable freight and passenger journeys to be completed as soon as is practicable and for the temporary traffic management arrangements to be removed as quickly as possible.
  • seth plum said:
    I read previously that there were bottles of urine and bags of poo on the road verges of Kent because of desperate drivers unable to hold out in the lengthy queues.
    It is not because of the referendum result because the referendum result hasn’t been implemented.
    Perhaps the drivers are operating a ‘dirty protest’ due to the democratic deficit.
    This has nothing to do with Brexit or P&O, it has been happening for years. That is why the parking ban for lorries was bought in covering a lot of lay byes, especially those on minor roads.

Our lay byes simply do not cater for overnight stops, so the dirty bastards piss, crap and throw their rubbish on the ground before driving off. The new lorry park in Kent was built to attract drivers to use it as an alternative.   
    That is true, but HGV drivers are treated appallingly in the UK, there aren't enough places for them to park. I don't know if the situation has changed today, but there have been reports that there are no toilet facilities on the M20 for the thousands of lorries currently being held there. 
  • It's these sort of above comments about fuel shortages on public forums that cause the problems. Makes people go out and panic buy thus causing the stations to run out of fuel. 
    Only if your fcuking stupid. Routine chat with my son, at home because he can't get fuel. Possibly  because the tankers can't get through because of the traffic chaos. Or the nut jobs sitting in the road stopping them leaving the fuel depots with Plod standing idly by and doing fuck all. I had no idea there was a problem down there as plenty of fuel locally to me. Thought i maybe helping fellow Lifers who might need to be in the area. Next time i won't bother trying to be a good neighbour..
  • I have to go to West Farleigh tomorrow from Bexleyheath. Shouldn't be a problem?
  • I have to go to West Farleigh tomorrow from Bexleyheath. Shouldn't be a problem?
    It shouldn't affect you as most of the problems are further east than West Farleigh.

The tailback on the M20 at Junction 8 doesn't look as bad on Google maps as it has been during the week.
  • We went to Whitstable this afternoon and not too bad at all. I joined the M20 at Jun 4, came off at  Jun 6 up and over Detling Hill, and jumped on the A2. Hit a bit of traffic that was queuing to get off the A2 up to Dover etc but after that it was a clear run. 

Coming home clear all the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

That is true, but HGV drivers are treated appallingly in the UK, there aren't enough places for them to park. I don't know if the situation has changed today, but there have been reports that there are no toilet facilities on the M20 for the thousands of lorries currently being held there. 
    It's ridiculous and scandalous to call the HGV drivers dirty bastards - what the hell are they supposed to do? We all have to piss and shit! On the continent they are given facilities.

And, what happened to Farage's Garage?
  • Anyone else enjoy the joys of Dartford today.Played golf at the par 3 course near Dartford FC.Roadworks at the main road junction,a junior 5 a side competition going on,took 1 hour to get to main road from car park,and then realising dartford roundabout blocked went back to Crayford turnoff,to get back to Medway,A2 blocked up to tunnel turn off,almost 2 hours to get home.Pity any poor sod trying to get to Dover from London or Essex.
  • The road works on the princess road (Darenth Road) traffic lights will be there at least until 21/4, causing absolute carnage. Apparently the tunnel was also blocked for most of the day.
  • The whole of Dartford was completely fucked all day
    The whole of Dartford has been fucked for a lot longer than a day……
  • Drove from Herne Bay to South Woodford and back yesterday via Barnehurst. 

Excluding the stops in Barnehurst it took me six and a half hours. 

That's half an hour less than the journey time from Barnehurst to Glasgow.
    The whole of Dartford has been fucked for a lot longer than a day……
    It has,I come up there from Medway once or twice a week,and dread the journey.It is always when the tunnel is blocked,,Lorries take what they consider a short cut and try to get to the crossing by going over the Dartford Roundabout,thereby blocking all entrances and exits,why can some system not be devised to make traffic stick to the proper route,and not balls everything up.Get some police vehicles holding up those who are using the short cots and let others access the roundabout.
  • The Grammar police are watching every poster. There seems to be a lot of digging out of Lifers who don't confirm to other Lifers view of the world. I wonder if the overall disappointment of CAFC this season has pissed off people to the extent we have all become Victor Meldrew.