Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Oh good. We are now turning this political. Wont be long before this thread gets taken down. 

If you want to discuss the pros & cons of Brexit then take your ramblings over to the HOC section. 
    👍
  • The traffic problems are far worse than prior to the UK leaving the EU. It is obvious that the time taken to process the passports of every person in a vehicle, is taking much longer than just waving them at the border officer.

Those of us living near Brock have had to put up with problems on the M20 for 4 years now. The people of Folkestone, Dover and surrounding villages have to put up with queues of lorries because of the paperwork required to take goods across the border.

We did vote to stop freedom of movement and are now paying the price. Its likely to get worse in the next few months when greater checks are required. Non EU passport holders can only stay in the EU for 90 days in every 180 so accurate records have to be kept.

I wasn't a remainer but now cannot see any benefits to leaving the EU, only problems like this.
    So all the migrants that are queue jumping, without passports, can only stay in the EU for 90 days.  No wonder the French encourage them to move on to the UK so that they can keep accurate records!. However you can piss off Bits trying to go on hoiday and ensure that your records are correct.

• The traffic problems are far worse than prior to the UK leaving the EU. It is obvious that the time taken to process the passports of every person in a vehicle, is taking much longer than just waving them at the border officer.

Those of us living near Brock have had to put up with problems on the M20 for 4 years now. The people of Folkestone, Dover and surrounding villages have to put up with queues of lorries because of the paperwork required to take goods across the border.

We did vote to stop freedom of movement and are now paying the price. Its likely to get worse in the next few months when greater checks are required. Non EU passport holders can only stay in the EU for 90 days in every 180 so accurate records have to be kept.

I wasn't a remainer but now cannot see any benefits to leaving the EU, only problems like this.
    So all the migrants that are queue jumping, without passports, can only stay in the EU for 90 days.  No wonder the French encourage them to move on to the UK so that they can keep accurate records!. However you can piss off Bits trying to go on hoiday and ensure that your records are correct.

You've taken this off topic, the traffic problems experienced today have nothing to do with asylum seekers.
  • edited July 2022
    DRAddick said:
    To all you muppets that voted for Brexit.  You knew what you were voting  for. The problem  is we all have to pay the price for your stupidity. 
    So nothing yesterday was to do with the fact that this weekend every year is chaos at Dover and the French border control not turning up for work on time? And then blaming the channel tunnel for delays who then said "Err, no, there were no delays, you lot were just late for work"? But hey. I appreciate you remainers don't like to let facts and reality get in the way of an anti Brexit arguement. I'm also aware that you personally will now play the "I'm being bullied" card. 
    It was to do with passports needing to br stamped. Get real. This is a Brexit mess. What has it to do with bullying which is entirely another matter. If you think otherwise read all the news. 
    Everything i said was in the news. You must have missed it...or ignored it because it didn't fit in with your narrative.  
  • DRAddick said:
    To all you muppets that voted for Brexit.  You knew what you were voting  for. The problem  is we all have to pay the price for your stupidity. 
    So nothing yesterday was to do with the fact that this weekend every year is chaos at Dover and the French border control not turning up for work on time? And then blaming the channel tunnel for delays who then said "Err, no, there were no delays, you lot were just late for work"? But hey. I appreciate you remainers don't like to let facts and reality get in the way of an anti Brexit arguement. I'm also aware that you personally will now play the "I'm being bullied" card. 
    It was to do with passports needing to br stamped. Get real. This is a Brexit mess. What has it to do with bullying which is entirely another matter. If you think otherwise read all the news. 
    It takes no time other than a nono second to stamp a passport after checks have been made, which being done prior to Brexit, if French Border Control could be bothered. So no, these delays are not down to Brexit.
    And to ME14, my point is that the French are happy to apply EU restrictions to UK tourists but will happily pass non passport carrying economic migrants through to the Coast to get rid of them.
  • from the bbc news tonight - only 6 of 14 French officials arrived on-time (due to the traffic build up and they were stuck in it) - can it just be that simple...? and not a conspiracy theory...

• Sponsored links:

• So did the existing staff stay working till their colleagues arrived?. My son in law was Border Force on the Channel Tunnel  in France. The Shift went over in  a dedicated transport, blue light if necessary, on the first available Shuttle so they arrived on time, the previous Shift going back in the same vehicle. So,not a conspiracy theory,  but draw your own conclusions. 
  • So did the existing staff stay working till their colleagues arrived?. My son in law was Border Force on the Channel Tunnel  in France. The Shift went over in  a dedicated transport, blue light if necessary, on the first available Shuttle so they arrived on time, the previous Shift going back in the same vehicle. So,not a conspiracy theory,  but draw your own conclusions. 

The problem Friday morning was the French border force not arriving in England and then lying about problems with the channel tunnel. Plus, as much as I love the French; French and "waiting for colleagues to arrive" doesn't fit with their work principles. 
  • DRAddick said:
    So did the existing staff stay working till their colleagues arrived?. My son in law was Border Force on the Channel Tunnel  in France. The Shift went over in  a dedicated transport, blue light if necessary, on the first available Shuttle so they arrived on time, the previous Shift going back in the same vehicle. So,not a conspiracy theory,  but draw your own conclusions. 

The problem Friday morning was the French border force not arriving in England and then lying about problems with the channel tunnel. Plus, as much as I love the French; French and "waiting for colleagues to arrive" doesn't fit with their work principles. 
    How late were they? If there was a 6 hour delay, were they 6 hours late? If not, then them being late isn’t the main reason for the problem.
  • When the UK controls it’s land border with the EU in order to honour the democratic referendum vote, which up to now hasn’t happened (whatever people call ‘Brexit’ has no meaning in relation to what was voted for), then will that lead not only to queues but terrorist violence?
  • It's not just a simple passport stamp. From the UK Gov website:

Visas need to be checked if applicable:
    You can travel to countries in the Schengen area, which France is part of, for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. This applies if you travel as a tourist, to visit family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training. Find more information here.

If you are travelling to France and other Schengen countries without a visa, make sure your whole visit is within the 90-day limit. Visits to Schengen countries within the previous 180 days before you travel count towards your 90 days.

Passport stamping:

Check your passport is stamped if you enter or exit the Schengen area through France as a visitor. Border guards will use passport stamps to check you’re complying with the 90-day visa-free limit for short stays in the Schengen area. If relevant entry or exit stamps are not in your passport, border guards will presume that you have overstayed your visa-free limit.

You can show evidence of when and where you entered or exited the Schengen area, and ask the border guards to add this date and location in your passport. Examples of acceptable evidence include boarding passes and tickets.

At French border control, you may need to:

• show proof of where you intend to stay, for example, a booking confirmation or proof of address if visiting your own property (e.g. second home). Further information is detailed below
    • show proof of insurance for your trip. Please check the guidance on travel insurance here
    • show a return or onward ticket
    • prove that you have enough money for the duration of your stay.
    Customs checks upon entry into France:
    There are limits on the volume and value amounts for certain goods that you can bring into France as a traveller. You should check the French Directorate General of Customs and Excise website to confirm the latest allowances per traveller

... And don't even think of having your dog in the car. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm off to Cornwall next Saturday. I suppose the 6 hour journey & delays at Stonehenge & the M5 are down to Brexit then......nothing to do with everybody going on their 2 week summer hols at the same time.

Who'd have thunk it.  
    Leave as early as you can mate and if your in a queue near junction 6 of the M3 give us a shout and i will cook you some breakfast.
  • I dont blame Brexit. I blame the Government AFTER Brexit. Brexit happened 6 years ago. SIX. The Government / ports / anyone else that matters have had all this time to sort out proper border controls. You cant blame the people that voted for something they wanted then not doing anything about the consequences. We had border controls 40 years ago or did passports checks just start in 2019.

Perhaps we should go to war with France. Bomb them for 20 years & then seek a peace agreement. Perhaps sign it on 25th December and call it the Xmas day Agreement. Agree that we all one country so there doesn't need to be a border. Worked for ireland. 
  • I dont blame Brexit. I blame the Government AFTER Brexit. Brexit happened 6 years ago. SIX. The Government / ports / anyone else that matters have had all this time to sort out proper border controls. You cant blame the people that voted for something they wanted then not doing anything about the consequences. We had border controls 40 years ago or did passports checks just start in 2019.

Perhaps we should go to war with France. Bomb them for 20 years & then seek a peace agreement. Perhaps sign it on 25th December and call it the Xmas day Agreement. Agree that we all one country so there doesn't need to be a border. Worked for ireland. 
    Agreed, they just cant let go can they. Everything that goes wrong in their lives is put down to this.
  • There’s quite a lot of evidence on this thread that makes it clear Brexit is at least partly responsible for this chaos. It doesn’t shock me in the slightest that Brexiters ignore facts - they’ve got form. 

Also, all of us hate to admit we were wrong and often defend the indefensible.

Is this Brexit thing you talk of the same as the whole of the UK leaving the whole of the EU as voted for?
    If it is, it hasn’t happened.
  • edited July 2022
    RedPanda said:
    It's not just a simple passport stamp. From the UK Gov website:

Visas need to be checked if applicable:
    You can travel to countries in the Schengen area, which France is part of, for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. This applies if you travel as a tourist, to visit family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training. Find more information here.

If you are travelling to France and other Schengen countries without a visa, make sure your whole visit is within the 90-day limit. Visits to Schengen countries within the previous 180 days before you travel count towards your 90 days.

Passport stamping:

Check your passport is stamped if you enter or exit the Schengen area through France as a visitor. Border guards will use passport stamps to check you’re complying with the 90-day visa-free limit for short stays in the Schengen area. If relevant entry or exit stamps are not in your passport, border guards will presume that you have overstayed your visa-free limit.

You can show evidence of when and where you entered or exited the Schengen area, and ask the border guards to add this date and location in your passport. Examples of acceptable evidence include boarding passes and tickets.

At French border control, you may need to:

• show proof of where you intend to stay, for example, a booking confirmation or proof of address if visiting your own property (e.g. second home). Further information is detailed below
    • show proof of insurance for your trip. Please check the guidance on travel insurance here
    • show a return or onward ticket
    • prove that you have enough money for the duration of your stay.
    Customs checks upon entry into France:
    There are limits on the volume and value amounts for certain goods that you can bring into France as a traveller. You should check the French Directorate General of Customs and Excise website to confirm the latest allowances per traveller

... And don't even think of having your dog in the car. 
    Ok, generally from recent experience, they scan your passports and this tells them the shengen days info and they stamp them. That is for your first point of entry into the Shengen area. When you are in it, they don't care. If you overstay your 90 days that is an issue for you when you leave Shengen. They asked us in a chatty way what our holiday plans were but we didn't have to provide any paper info. The dog is easy but more expensive at our end as passports are no longer available. You need a rabies jab (lasts 3 years at £63) and a one off travel document which only lasts your trip (£180) and a worming tablet stamped and signed by a foreign vet within 5 days of your return. Price is variable but cost us 30 euros in Italy. The rabies and worming were always required but the documents are more hassle (prior to your trip) and more expensive.

Then you have to register at the pet centre before check in which is quick. Basically showing paperwork and scanning your dog's chip. In terms of queues, at non busy periods (like when we left) it wasn't a problem but schools have broken up and the extra time is obviously going to have a knock on effect. You would have thought the ports would have been modernised in anticipation of the post Brexit changes which is probably also an issue.
  • Some some people seem to dislike the French and France, I think they are decent people in a beautiful country myself.
    I wish they were all vegetarians though, and you could get a decent cup of tea over there.
  • seth plum said:
    I dont blame Brexit. I blame the Government AFTER Brexit. Brexit happened 6 years ago. SIX. The Government / ports / anyone else that matters have had all this time to sort out proper border controls. You cant blame the people that voted for something they wanted then not doing anything about the consequences. We had border controls 40 years ago or did passports checks just start in 2019.

Is this Brexit thing you talk of the same as the whole of the UK leaving the whole of the EU as voted for?
    If it is, it hasn’t happened.
    I quite agree. "Brexit" hasnt happened. All we've done is leave the EU as an institution. Boris once again lied in Parliament last week (this time unwittingly) by saying he got Brexit done. Just ask NI what they think Brexit means.

Brexit cant happen. The GFA has seen to that.